Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Home and away then Messi has 8 champions league goals past quarter finals round since 2012/13. They are the big games

Assuming you’ve counted quarter finals, Barcelona have only had 8 ties that meet your criteria in that period, and one of those was a final so not two legs. 

So 8 goals in 15 games. Not up to his usual phenomenal standards but still a record any good player would be happy with  

And ive assumed he played In every game. If he didn’t then it’s even better. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

If Barcelona are standing tall, Messi stands tallest. If Ronaldo's team are on their arses, he lifts every single one of them back to their feet.

No, but I don't think Ronaldo would've been standing with his hands on his hips looking forlorn immediately after the goal, either.  He'd have been furiously geeing everyone up to get a goal.

Messi is one of the greatest players we'll ever see, but you'd never be able to call him a leader.  Yet here he is, captain of one of the most important teams in the world.

This, this and this again.

In a one off game with everything on the line, give me Ronaldo. For a league campaign? Messi. Mostly because I'd rather watch him every week. 

I think the Messi narrative has gotten to the point where Ronaldo is bizarrely underrated. He's a leader and a winner, despite not having the gift that Messi has on the ball he has managed to get himself into the same conversation through sheer drive and determination.

I think they're both incredible to be honest, Messi is the best natural footballer to have ever lived. Ronaldo is the best gamer. He'd have become a champion darts player if he had wanted it enough. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

Not gonna lie, I think Messi is the GOAT but was very disappointed with his vanishing display yesterday. Yes his team was awful, but it looked like he was actively hiding from the ball in the second half. Literally just walking around when his team needed a goal. Everybody including presumably his teammates were waiting for him to take matters into his own hands, but he didn't. You would expect the best passer in the world to get on the ball and try to make things happen.

It'd be like if Jack was just strolling around while we needed a goal in the second leg at the Hawthorns for example, that would be incredibly disappointing. But we know that Jack, being the mature leader he's grown to be would never do that. Think back to the playoff final last season. It didn't work out, but by god did he not try to drag us into extra time.

That's the one aspect of his game that Messi is missing imo. Like a couple of people already mentioned, Ronaldo has that undying drive and winning desire. Messi was sort of born into the most successful club team of the millenium, and with immeasurable talent and so he probably never needed to develop that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Messi is the best natural footballer to have ever lived. Ronaldo is the best gamer.

I like Gary Lineker's (I think) line that "Ronaldo is a machine, Messi is an artist".

Messi every time for me. They're both brilliant, mind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Maradona dragged Napoli to 2 Serie A titles when probably toughest league ever

Would be like Messi carrying Bournemouth to the title 

I know and that's fantastic, still rate Messi better though but for me Pele is the GOAT

How often have Barca done to teams what Liverpool did to them? Do they ever have these big comebacks? 

Ronaldo has scored a few hatricks to brings his team from a deficit of a few goals, to go through. I just don't feel Messi has any leadership qualities, nor the bottle at times. 

There may be a few things he beats Ronaldo at, but I don't think Ronaldo has a weakness. Maybe his drive and desire to win can make him look a bit of a dick at times, but that's not a bad trait to have. 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I know and that's fantastic, still rate Messi better though but for me Pele is the GOAT

How many times have you seen Pele play?

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

How often have Barca done to teams what Liverpool did to them? Do they ever have these big comebacks? 

I dunno. Ask someone at PSG, they might know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Difference is Messi and Ronaldo been scoring 40+ goals on a consistent basis for 10+ years. Maradona did not.

One can argue that Maradona in his peak were better than both of them though.

That sort of goal haul was barely possible in those days, wouldn't happen in the Serie A of those days, no chance.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't care about numbers, very bored of them. Messi is the best player to ever step onto a pitch.

Ability wise Brazilian Ronaldo was a better player and so was Maradona.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes he had one great world cup which could have turned out a lot different if it hadn't been for the so called 'hand of god'. Other than that his record for Argentina was inferior to Messi's. Messi a far better club career. Still think Messi is the better player. 

This is pure garbage, he won the world cup for them in 86, that's immediately better than anything Messi has done for Argentina and anything he will do, he also played a key role in them getting to the final in Italia 90. 

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That sort of goal haul was barely possible in those days, wouldn't happen in the Serie A of those days, no chance.

football is so soft now for attackers that Van Basten if he was playing in this era be banging in 80-90 goals per season

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

football is so soft now for attackers that Van Basten if he was playing in this era be banging in 80-90 goals per season

Yep people just don't get it. The game was far more brutal, certain types of legitimate tackles then are red card now, off the ball incidents would barely get carded, the offside rule was extremely unforgiving, you were allowed to pass back to the keeper and even the ball was heavier and moved less. Far, far harder for attacking players and that's before you get to Serie A in those days, with the primacy of the catenaccio philosophy and the all time great defenders who played in that league.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep people just don't get it. The game was far more brutal, certain types of legitimate tackles then are red card now, off the ball incidents would barely get carded, the offside rule was extremely unforgiving, you were allowed to pass back to the keeper and even the ball was heavier and moved less. Far, far harder for attacking players and that's before you get to Serie A in those days, with the primacy of the catenaccio philosophy and the all time great defenders who played in that league.

Shows what an amazing achievement Gerd Muller's stats were. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is pure garbage, he won the world cup for them in 86, that's immediately better than anything Messi has done for Argentina and anything he will do, he also played a key role in them getting to the final in Italia 90. 

What is not garbage is that he cheated his way to winning the world cup in 86, something that any English football fan can not forgive him for. 

• Haha 2

Â