Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

15 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Two amazing players, among the best ever. At least top 5. And I can't say that I like any of them. One is a diving word removed and one is sanctified beyond proportions. If he farts people would be in awe about how he bended that fart. Having said that, I watched my whole first CL game in at least 10 years, and that freekick... Even Klopp could just smile. Amazing. Who's the best? Who cares? It's probably much down to what kind of player you like the most anyway.

They are brilliant and another level. I did say the other day and I think its fair, would they be so good without each other. Not in a bad way but Messi/Ronaldo inspire each other to go further 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are brilliant and another level. I did say the other day and I think its fair, would they be so good without each other. Not in a bad way but Messi/Ronaldo inspire each other to go further 

Yeah, the competition between them might spur them, I think so. Though, I don't think they themselves care that much about who's the best as the rest of the world seems to do, but I think your theory holds some truth.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is David Beckham still playing professional football?

Edit:  Similar style though, in many respects.

Yeah, I was just thinking. :) It was an amazing freekick. Both, actually.

7 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Yeah, the competition between them might spur them, I think so. Though, I don't think they themselves care that much about who's the best as the rest of the world seems to do, but I think your theory holds some truth.

I agree, the records are incredible though. Like no players have got near them or after but for me they get better because of each other. Ronaldinho probably closest player to their level but his stats its no comparison 

Now we've established Messi knows how to take a free kick it's probably worth revisiting the fact that he's scored six hundred goals for Barcelona.  Six hundred. 

Just going through the records. Barcelona's second highest goalscorer ever, Cesar, only managed 232 in a career which spanned the 40s and 50s (Spain was neutral in WW2 so domestic football continued there while the rest of Europe were busy killing each other).  Barcelona's second, third and fourth highest scorers 'only' managed 610 between them so Messi will outscore that total easily by the end of the calendar year.  Interestingly Barcelona's 5th highest scorer of all time is Luis Suarez with 177 in 246 appearances.  I didn't realise just how prolific he had been since signing. 

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Now we've established Messi knows how to take a free kick it's probably worth revisiting the fact that he's scored six hundred goals for Barcelona.  Six hundred. 

Just going through the records. Barcelona's second highest goalscorer ever, Cesar, only managed 232 in a career which spanned the 40s and 50s (Spain was neutral in WW2 so domestic football continued there while the rest of Europe were busy killing each other).  Barcelona's second, third and fourth highest scorers 'only' managed 610 between them so Messi will outscore that total easily by the end of the calendar year.  Interestingly Barcelona's 5th highest scorer of all time is Luis Suarez with 177 in 246 appearances.  I didn't realise just how prolific he had been since signing. 

So you are saying Messi is the Argentinian Gabby 🤔😉

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

(Spain was neutral in WW2 so domestic football continued there while the rest of Europe were busy killing each other).

Sweden says hi!

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Ronaldo was miles closer.  He's not curling it from 35/40 yards or whatever Messi is hitting that from.

To beat keepers of this standard from so far out whilst genuinely bending the ball (and not just having the weird modern football move oddly in the air) is unreal.  8th direct free kick of the season for Messi as well apparently.

Ronaldo's free kick against Spain was excellent, but not special.  What we saw tonight from Messi was special.

I haven't seen the free kick, I'm poor so don't have any of the paid-for sports. I would say though it's pretty special to win a game 3-2 scoring a hat trick and arguably under more pressure that when you're already 2-0 up. 

In related news Ronaldo has bought a new car.

It's a one off Bugatti Veyron 110 year anniversary edition named La Voiture Noire  and it set him back a cool £11m according to Marca.

640@60.jpg640@60.jpg

9 hours ago, Pelle said:

Was Beckham against Greece closer?

Beckham's was a great free kick.

But watch it again and look how close it is to the keeper.

Always overlooked, but if the keeper had dived for that he'd have saved it.

Messi's the keeper dives fully outstretched and it still beats him.

Messi is unbelievable. A freak of footballing nature. He is playing around the best players in the world and still he stands out a mile. Just oozes class.  I love him. 

I have to see him play in real life at least once before he retires. Planning it for next season! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Messi is 10 times the player Ronaldo is right now, but that being said Messi is 2 years younger.

10 times is a huge exaggeration.

But I do agree that messi is better. And always has been imo.

39 minutes ago, sne said:

In related news Ronaldo has bought a new car.

It's a one off Bugatti Veyron 110 year anniversary edition named La Voiture Noire  and it set him back a cool £11m according to Marca.

the mark up he'll get on that when he sells it in 20 years time will be higher than the rate of interest that he would have got from sticking the money in the bank, less risk than buying property too, smart move

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Beckham's was a great free kick.

But watch it again and look how close it is to the keeper.

Always overlooked, but if the keeper had dived for that he'd have saved it.

Messi's the keeper dives fully outstretched and it still beats him.

Don't wanna argue too much here, as they're both great freekicks, but it's not that close and the reason the keeper never went for it is because he was tricked to go the wrong way. Messi's was always going to end up in one corner. And the wall was poorly placed. When I watched it I knew where he was going to put it, but the combined accurassy and power is what really blew me away. I didn't expect that. Anyaway, this feels silly. I just wanted to compare the distance, not which is the best. Messi's probably slightly better but it's like comparing, well, Ronaldo and Messi.

1 minute ago, Pelle said:

Yep, I'm glad we stayed out, but not so proud the way we did it. Sorry, Norway!

You are entirely forgiven 😁

• Thanks 2

Â