Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

All he needs to do now is win three more league titles and get his brothers sister pregnant and he'll have emulated the career of Ryan Giggs.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm curious to how Messi will do at 34

from central midfield, sure someone else said it before he would look comfortable in a Pirlo role, goals would obviously drop off (slightly...) but his passing vision and range is incredible

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

from central midfield, sure someone else said it before he would look comfortable in a Pirlo role, goals would obviously drop off (slightly...) but his passing vision and range is incredible

Thats only 2 years away, from what I have seen of Barcelona albeit not as much this season he seems be moving closer to the goal

They would still be brilliant players but I do wonder if Messi or Ronaldo would have the same scoring stats if they didn't play in same era. 

As in they have both pushed each other to get these incredible goal records 

They've also played in an era where strikers get more protection than they have at any point in the history of the game and the difference in quality between the top clubs and everybody else is at all time high. Not saying Messi doesn't have a legitimate claim to being the best player of all time but I don't think he'd have got 40 goals a season playing for the Barcelona of the 1980s or 90s. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Messi is 10 times the player Ronaldo is right now, but that being said Messi is 2 years younger.

He's not 10 times the player, but he's a better player and he always has been.

No-one else in the World is scoring that free kick, in that manner.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

What about mr Hourihane?

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be devil's advocate Ronaldo in the WC? 

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Ronaldo was miles closer.  He's not curling it from 35/40 yards or whatever Messi is hitting that from.

To beat keepers of this standard from so far out whilst genuinely bending the ball (and not just having the weird modern football move oddly in the air) is unreal.  8th direct free kick of the season for Messi as well apparently.

Ronaldo's free kick against Spain was excellent, but not special.  What we saw tonight from Messi was special.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That was a lot nearer and just had to beat the wall.  Still good but Ronaldo has scored better free kicks than that one.  Messi's tonight was something else.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ronaldo was miles closer.  He's not curling it from 35/40 yards or whatever Messi is hitting that from.

Miles closer. I am not sure you know small a football pitch is 🤔

Two amazing players, among the best ever. At least top 5. And I can't say that I like any of them. One is a diving word removed and one is sanctified beyond proportions. If he farts people would be in awe about how he bended that fart. Having said that, I watched my whole first CL game in at least 10 years, and that freekick... Even Klopp could just smile. Amazing. Who's the best? Who cares? It's probably much down to what kind of player you like the most anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Was Beckham against Greece closer?

4 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Was Beckham against Greece closer?

Is David Beckham still playing professional football?

Edit:  Similar style though, in many respects.

Edited by bobzy

Â