Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

Not a leader maybe, but still a fabulous footballer, the like of which we'll never see again. Maradona was a different type of personality, more like Luis Suarez, win by any means attitude. Had one great world cup unlike Pele, a proper sportsman who had three. 

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

If Barcelona are standing tall, Messi stands tallest

Bit of an exaggeration, this. Messi wouldn't stand tallest in an under 11s side :P 

He loses the ball more than other players because he always tries to pick out the most difficult option knowing that he will no doubt pull a couple off that end up with goals.  Even last night he set up Alba and Suarez with one on ones you'd expect them to bury. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they got another one of these pics last night - 

D6A6ZV2X4AAQ9dY.jpg

Shows how important he is, and how good a job Liverpool did compared to the last game where he could freely roam the pitch.

I think it highlights how shit his team were too. Liverpool can surround him with a minimum of 3 players...And somehow the rest of the team weren't running rampant in all of the extra space? 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the picture of Maradona surrounded by sea of Belgian defenders in Mexico 86, the difference being Maradona scores two goals in that game, including one arguably better than his solo effort against England and in so doing drags a fairly average side to the final.

by your own words in the other thread theres some utter shit in that barca team and messi scored 2 goals in this tie too...and that's before you start looking at Liverpool being a very good team

not sure why last night collapse lies at his feet 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Reminds me of the picture of Maradona surrounded by sea of Belgian defenders in Mexico 86, the difference being Maradona scores two goals in that game, including one arguably better than his solo effort against England and in so doing drags a fairly average side to the final.

Difference is Messi and Ronaldo been scoring 40+ goals on a consistent basis for 10+ years. Maradona did not.

One can argue that Maradona in his peak were better than both of them though.

Edited by villalad21

He had a bad game. 

In the first leg he had a great game and scored 2 goals, one being one of the best free kicks I’ve ever see.  

He’s the reason they had a 3-0 lead. 

Youre only as good as your last game has never been truer it seems. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He had a bad game. 

In the first leg he had a great game and scored 2 goals, one being one of the best free kicks I’ve ever see.  

He’s the reason they had a 3-0 lead. 

Youre only as good as your last game has never been truer it seems. 

He didn’t even have a particularly bad game. Just by his own superhuman standards. Any other player we would be saying how he was his team’s only creative outlet and that he got in good positions. 

The issue is last night is not a rarity though. His only away goals in the last  seasons or so was vs Arsenal, Chelsea who were in turmoil, City under Mancini and PSG

What people said about Xavi and Iniesta looks very true as this is when they started to decline 

Yes he had one great world cup which could have turned out a lot different if it hadn't been for the so called 'hand of god'. Other than that his record for Argentina was inferior to Messi's. Messi a far better club career. Still think Messi is the better player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The issue is last night is not a rarity though. His only away goals in the last  seasons or so was vs Arsenal, Chelsea who were in turmoil, City under Mancini and PSG

What people said about Xavi and Iniesta looks very true as this is when they started to decline 

he's got 50 goals this season.  Including 12 in the champions league. 

I think he’s doing alright. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

he's got 50 goals this season.  Including 12 in the champions league. 

I think he’s doing alright. 

But not in the important games which is the argument 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes he had one great world cup which could have turned out a lot different if it hadn't been for the so called 'hand of god'. Other than that his record for Argentina was inferior to Messi's. Messi a far better club career. Still think Messi is the better player. 

Maradona dragged Napoli to 2 Serie A titles when probably toughest league ever

Would be like Messi carrying Bournemouth to the title 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The away games in Europe he goes missing 

Oh ok. I didn’t know only away games in europe counted as important. 

Feels a bit like cherry picking games to suit your argument...

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh ok. I didn’t know only away games in europe counted as important. 

Feels a bit like cherry picking games to suit your argument...

Home and away then Messi has 8 champions league goals past quarter finals round since 2012/13. They are the big games

• Like 1

Â