Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

15 hours ago, villaglint said:

I’d agree that Maradona and Ronaldo were a force of nature at their peak. I think I’d want to argue that peak Messi was also a force of nature though. He just happened to be surrounded by fantastic players at the time. It’s easy to forget how good he was back then and really different to the Giggs twighlight Years Messi we see now who still scores 40+ a season! 

Hes never been able to drag Argentina along though for sure but I’d argue the fact he’s been so good for so long. Far longer than Maradona and ronaldo is why he deserves to be talked about in the Greatest conversations. 

I think theres an argument that messi has dragged some argentina teams to finals though, the problem is they've been argentina teams that look good on paper and then they've lost the final so its lost

as for force of nature...he scored 91 goals in a calendar year, I don't believe he's ever really dropped off either, he's changed role at barca but his main problem is he's just taken for granted, he scored 50 goals last season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Messi sent off then has accused Conmebol of corruption and a conspiracy against Argentina. He has been acting really weird all tournament with his comments

Just seen it, how on earth did that get past VAR?  One of the worst decisions I've ever seen :lol:

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Messi sent off then has accused Conmebol of corruption and a conspiracy against Argentina. He has been acting really weird all tournament with his comments

Messi has always been a whinging word removed

That's the only problem with it, maybe not too many times with the argies but definitely been the beneficiary of it with Barca

Another case of him showing signs Of the pressure he's under with the national team 

A lot like England's golden generation it doesn't look like fun to play for them and none of them are enjoying it 

On 05/07/2019 at 07:51, maqroll said:

This why Ronaldo is edging the argument at the moment. 

He’s leading the argument if you want a better captain. 

But who is a better player? It’s still Messi. 

John terry is a better captain that Messi. He’s not a better player though. 

• Like 1

Interesting comments from Dani Alves about Messi. 

He said Pep hates passes from the fullback to the winger as they don’t offer any progression (which I agree with by the way. It’s lazy)

and Pep used to get angry because Alves would do those passes to Messi all the time. 

Alves’ answer was that if Messi doesn’t touch the ball every 2 minutes then he gets disconnected with the game. And that he used to make those passes to keep him connected so that he could influence the game. 

Kind of strange. There’s been talk before I think of Messi being a bit on the spectrum. This kind of stuff would align with that. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He said Pep hates passes from the fullback to the winger as they don’t offer any progression (which I agree with by the way. It’s lazy)

Got curious here. How does it not offer any progression? 

3 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Got curious here. How does it not offer any progression? 

It can, depending on the pass. Obviously if you slide the winger in on goal then it’s great  

But I think he’s referring to a pass when the fullback is in possession in the full back position and just passes it up the line to the winger. 

It doesn’t beat a man, doesn’t give you a better position on the pitch, and usually results in the winger giving it straight back. 

A pass inside to a midfielder is much more likely to advance the game. 

One of my pet hates in football is a fullback under pressure just clipping it up the line in the vague direction of the winger. It’s the laziest pass in football. Mr Hutton was a fine executioner of that pass. 

• Thanks 1

Yep pointless passes, its lazy but also a cop out by the full back as always looks worse on the wide player

On a similar note I know a certain ex Ireland and Villa manager who wouldnt play a full back because he cut inside and tried to join in the play when attacking instead if sticking to wing

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It can, depending on the pass. Obviously if you slide the winger in on goal then it’s great  

But I think he’s referring to a pass when the fullback is in possession in the full back position and just passes it up the line to the winger. 

It doesn’t beat a man, doesn’t give you a better position on the pitch, and usually results in the winger giving it straight back. 

A pass inside to a midfielder is much more likely to advance the game. 

One of my pet hates in football is a fullback under pressure just clipping it up the line in the vague direction of the winger. It’s the laziest pass in football. Mr Hutton was a fine executioner of that pass. 

Ah, now it made a lot more sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Interesting comments from Dani Alves about Messi. 

and Pep used to get angry because Alves would do those passes to Messi all the time. 

Alves’ answer was that if Messi doesn’t touch the ball every 2 minutes then he gets disconnected with the game. And that he used to make those passes to keep him connected so that he could influence the game. 

Kind of strange. There’s been talk before I think of Messi being a bit on the spectrum. This kind of stuff would align with that. 

I can kinda relate to that. Some players just are confidence ridden and the more involved you get the more you will influence a game - whether that is good or bad. If you aren't that much involved you don't work as much to get involved. Strange I know, but I can fully understand where this is coming from. 

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

that to me was bruce ball in a nutshell, possession along the back 4, maybe involve the DM, string 10-15 passes together, no movement in the middle or up top, very tight in the middle, eventually one of the fullbacks will launch it down the line in to space hoping the wide man gets on the end of it

hutton was criminal for it, so was elmo before smith got hold of him

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that to me was bruce ball in a nutshell, possession along the back 4, maybe involve the DM, string 10-15 passes together, no movement in the middle or up top, very tight in the middle, eventually one of the fullbacks will launch it down the line in to space hoping the wide man gets on the end of it

hutton was criminal for it, so was elmo before smith got hold of him

I think Bruce’s football involved some of that but I think it’s a symptom of having shit fullbacks rather than a direct instruction. 

Elmo was bad but I do think his partnership with Snodgrass excuses it a bit. 

But even ag Sunday league level it annoys me let alone top level. 

I remember when England were 2-1 down to Iceland and they were making those passes. Just clipping it into the final third from fullback to the winger. Infuriating. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I remember when England were 2-1 down to Iceland and they were making those passes. Just clipping it into the final third from fullback to the winger. Infuriating. 

I remember in the 88th minute danny rose having an argument with roy over it, he looked at him shrugged his shoulders and kind of said what do you want me to do

• Like 1

Â