Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

Same as the pep being handed a dream team at Barca and not doing anything argument 

"Barca has a wonderful squad"

No they don't

There is a criticism that can be angled at him that I think his wages and the wage structure of the club prevents them from building a squad (same with ronaldo) but most of what he says is finger pointing to grab a headline 

At some point it's got to go like the NFL

Tom Brady is "underpaid" or at least undervalued but he knows it lets his team get better players around him

Barcas wage structure is stopping them having a good 25 man squad (as well as lack of good young players)

It's something city have managed pretty well to be fair to them 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

One thing I wouldn't criticise a player for is wages they get offered. Club at fault for that

I read earlier in the season that Real Madrid home attendances were 20k to 30k down most matches since Ronaldo left. They've also had a few very low gates too.

If that's say 25,000 x €40 that's a million Euros just on the gate. 30 home games a year, €30m loss just there. Then merchandise, food, drink, advertising revenue and doesn't account for the loss of impact of the player on the field.

On this basis it's hard to suggest Messi or Ronaldo are overpaid. There are not many players around that can have that effect on attendances and bring more than their own salary into the club.

I bet Juve have made the transfer fee back on Ronaldo already in shirt sales. When my boy is at football training theres always at least half a dozen kids in Juventus shirts with his name on the back.

Edited by Genie

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I bet Juve have made the transfer fee back on Ronaldo already in shirt sales. When my boy is at football training theres always at least half a dozen kids in Juventus shirts with his name on the back.

Yes but I bet they got those shirts on holiday in Turkey for £8!! They do make some great fakes I have friends that holiday there and bring back whole strips mainly Messi/Ronaldo for their 10 year olds!  

Legit shirts these days coat a fortune and if Adidas/Nike are going to give teamwear with a badge and sponsor and charge £50 more than the teamwear then I say fair play to the fakers.

Not all the shirts you see make Juve/Barca money.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Yes but I bet they got those shirts on holiday in Turkey for £8!! They do make some great fakes I have friends that holiday there and bring back whole strips mainly Messi/Ronaldo for their 10 year olds!  

Legit shirts these days coat a fortune and if Adidas/Nike are going to give teamwear with a badge and sponsor and charge £50 more than the teamwear then I say fair play to the fakers.

Not all the shirts you see make Juve/Barca money.

I think @NurembergVillan may have something to say about this. 

14 hours ago, Genie said:

On this basis it's hard to suggest Messi or Ronaldo are overpaid. There are not many players around that can have that effect on attendances and bring more than their own salary into the club.

Yep. I've said this to the anti-football people at work. There's a few people around the 60 mark who really hate the fact footballers are paid so much, they really seem to take offence when I say that the big names they've just mentioned are probably massively underpaid.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yep. I've said this to the anti-football people at work. There's a few people around the 60 mark who really hate the fact footballers are paid so much, they really seem to take offence when I say that the big names they've just mentioned are probably massively underpaid.

The worst is when people then bring up nurses wages etc. I fully agree front line workers should be paid more but they think footballers are paid by the tax payer 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The worst is when people then bring up nurses wages etc. I fully agree front line workers should be paid more but they think footballers are paid by the tax payer 

Footballers are paid alot of money because they make their employers alot of money (of course theres exceptions like Micah and Gabby).

It's all relative.

I think people are misunderstanding my original point in response to LVG suggesting he had a negative impact on the team

Messi is paid a rumoured €8.3m a month, so €99.6m a year

With FFP That's taking up a huge chunk of their spending power, I'm of the opinion that Barca have squad issues, have for a while, they have a small squad with no quality young players propping them up and aging key players (them buying shit doesn't help) you see stuff like them buying neymar back for €150m and paying him €500k a week, they can't afford him, they've sorted the midfield for the future and tried with the defence but they still need a new LB and attacking players 

That is the only detriment to the team that I see in him 

I also think PSG have massive problems because of the same, they pay neymar, mbappe and a couple of others so much money that they can't build a 25 man squad capable of winning the CL 

It's Monday morning quarterback stuff though. Barcelona are having the most successful run in their entire history with Messi in the team, they've won the league 8 times in the last 11 seasons. They've been as successful as anyone in Europe too, so what's the expectation here? Messi generates interest and income and I'm sure his contract reflects that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Something special is happening in this copa America.....Messi finally sung Argentine national anthem!:lol: He's got lots of stick in their press down the years for not belting it out like most of the other players.

Doesnt even have words does it? If it does, very few?

19 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Doesnt even have words does it? If it does, very few?

It has lots of words, the full version is about four minutes!

Some wierd rules in World cups anthems can't exceed over 90 seconds or something so you only get the instrumental start and then maybe the chorus which is in Copa America.

Spain national anthem dosen't have any words so that could be the one you're thinking of.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

1 goal 0 assists in Copa America. I think Messi be retiring again soon 

Doubt it.

There's another Copa America next year, co-hosted by Argentina. Can't see him missing that.

I can see scaloni getting bulleted, messi having a moan at the FA again (which is understandable) threatening to retire but then playing

he will start next years copa with his 10th manager

out of those 10 3 of them had never managed a club side before getting the big job, 3 of them had won the league with a club side

they're a shambles

Â