Neil Cutler

KH**

There’s no doubt Big Cuts was liked among the staff and players. But this is Unai’s decision and right now he gets what he wants. We have a really good keeper who IMO hasn’t been great this season. Hopefully this will see an upturn in performance! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

There’s no doubt Big Cuts was liked among the staff and players. But this is Unai’s decision and right now he gets what he wants. We have a really good keeper who IMO hasn’t been great this season. Hopefully this will see an upturn in performance! 

And a back up who has been abysmal when called upon.

58 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Ask yourself this, after Emi's first season where he was Imperious, has he improved or regressed in performance? No need to answer, just reflect and process.

Was that Emi overachieving as well though. Also he had a lot less to do as our defence was more solid so he wasnt over worked so he could make big saves

Mings is probably the only one on the same level as that season but Konsa and arguably Cash have dropped the defensive levels. Also McGinn was a lot better then at pressing in midfield

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am sad to see him go, seemed like a good guy.

but we need to replace "Like" with "Respect"

Exactly. It's obvious that he and Emi got on really well as mates. Doesn't mean he's a better coach than the new guy. 

• Like 1

If he's half as good as Villa fans who rarely see him in action think he is then he'll have no problem getting another role anyway. He seems a top guy and from what I can gather (fwiw) seems quite highly rated, so he'll do well elsewhere hopefully.  I completely understand a new manager having his own team and trusting who he knows.  Something tells me the goalkeeping coach is not going to be the make or break of any coaching regime, so this change doesn't bother me anything like how it seems to be bothering others. Mountains out of mole hills for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If he's half as good as Villa fans who rarely see him in action think he is then he'll have no problem getting another role anyway. He seems a top guy and from what I can gather (fwiw) seems quite highly rated, so he'll do well elsewhere hopefully.  I completely understand a new manager having his own team and trusting who he knows.  Something tells me the goalkeeping coach is not going to be the make or break of any coaching regime, so this change doesn't bother me anything like how it seems to be bothering others. Mountains out of mole hills for me.

This.

Seems a great bloke and he's highly regarded as a coach, but a manager is going to have his own team he works with and if that includes a keeper coach, there's no room for sentiment. Besides which a keeper coach isn't going to be a priority in improving a teams fortunes - it's simultaneously one of the most important positions on the field and also the most limited, a great keeper coach isn't going to turn a side from trash to world beater and vice versa.

Wish him well and he'll be given a good welcome at Villa Park wherever he ends up.

• Like 1

I would argue that the feelings about this stem from the fact that he's the first GK coach we've really had decent access to, with the Ben Foster podcast, the social media stuff, we've never really had that before, so there comes a bit of an emotional attachment, he feels like one of the lads, someone who we could see ourselves getting lagered up with, likeable, and talks about GK coaching concepts that seem quite advanced for us mere non-professional footballer mortals.

Kind of reminds me of John Gregory, the only manager I really got attached to, was really behind him, made us steady and I'd read his book "The Boss" twice. Was fuming when he left.

Cutts is undoubtably a talented coach, and whoever picks him up will have a gem. However, there's no room for sentiment in football and we need to move with the times, the climate of the game and the setup at the club. A refresh gets people on their toes!

Don’t know why people are taking this so hard?

Cutler going isnt a reflection on his ability. Managers usually want to bring their own coaching staff. If Emery has a goalkeeper coach he trusts then why wouldn’t he bring him?

Whats weirder? Letting Cutler go or not bringing your trusted goalkeeper coach that you rate with you because the club you’re going to already has a goalkeeper coach that you don’t know or rate?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

As a hockey goalkeeping coach, a good relationship can built confidence, details can help (hockey goalies occupies one of the most technique intensive position in modern team sports) but mostly it's about the long term work you do. Sure, sometimes you can make small changes that quickly changes stuff, but Martinez isn't at that stage currently I feel like. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly. It's obvious that he and Emi got on really well as mates. Doesn't mean he's a better coach than the new guy. 

when, I was in management, my mantra was....I don't want to be liked, I want to be respected.

You can't run with the pack, it doesn't work in the long run.....and respect has to be earned, not offered as a gift.

I don't know, How Neil Cutler, managed himself as a coach, so its not a criticism of him....but in general, I suspect, there has been a culture of too much "Like and not enough "respect", at BMH for some time...there is a subtle difference.

When you have enormous respect for someone, its hard not to like them.....it needs to be that way around.

I think, some of it is borne out of not signing the right type of players, too few leaders, or winners, or players ready for the battle.....that does not mean at the expense of talent....many talented players in this league, have the eye of the tiger.....its not one or the other, its about having both.

I wish Neil all the best, and I am sure he will resurface, with a good job.

Edited by TRO

We do t know if Cutler was offered another role with a different remit at the club but turned it down… Would’ve thought he would be great working with the youth set up and ladies team but maybe wants to be the main man. 

I don't want to be overly critical here, but I have seen Emi play better, than what he has done this season.

glean from that, what you will, but if we see the earlier form from Emi, as a result of the change, I'm all for it.

As recently as 10 years ago, goalkeeper training was about 75% focused on handling, positioning, timing, footwork, reactions etc with about 25% on playing with feet and distribution.  Now it's probably 60-40 the other way..... 

We may discover, longer term, that Emery doesn't see Emi as his ideal 'keeper and he wants his coach in place to work on aspects of modern goalkeeping that aren't in the repertoire of Cutler and others.  I recall the shock at Citeh when they binned a goalkeeper who'd just won the league, had 70+ caps and was the undisputed number one for both club and country.  Replacing Hart with Ederson turned out OK for them..... 

And no, I'm not speculating that there's any ill-will towards Emi from Emery, as it was Arteta who was at Arse by the time he broke through and was then told he could leave.....

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

We do t know if Cutler was offered another role with a different remit at the club but turned it down… Would’ve thought he would be great working with the youth set up and ladies team but maybe wants to be the main man. 

i'm guessing this is what happened, similar to danks

which is fair enough. if you know you can coach PL goalkeepers, why would you coach the u23s just cause you like the club

he looked like he was danks' right hand man last 2 games so he may even have bigger aspirations

Â