Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I thought it would take maybe 10 games to gel and then we’d improve as a team - as it is we’ve got worse rather than better.

From my experience it takes about 9+ months to gel. Which is why this was a difficult project and why it's imperative to stay positive. This can go to the wire and we can make it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Sacking him for going down when 17th would be an achievement would be a bit short sighted. There seems to ba a lot of people willing to just abandon ship on the project that had the club completely buzzing and transformed. We knew we were going to be losing a hell of a lot of games this season, it's still early days for the project Smith got us up probably a year before the club was expecting. He's now trying to keep us in the top flight after the most mental turnover of players possibly ever in the division.

Spent 3x Sheff United and look at the difference. Project smith is project lambert 2.0 it’s awful

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Elton said:

Purslow did half an hour in the Sky Sports News studio prior to the start of the season. He stated our aims were consolidating our Premier League status and maybe qualify for Europe as a outside ambition this season. He certainly publicity wasn’t entertaining a relegation battle and not should he, even if that was the reality.

He also said he expected a Dean Smith coached team to be stronger in the 2nd half of the season as coaching takes effect and new signings gel. I still think Smith’s job is safe and I hope Purslow is right. We’ll see soon enough what this window brings and a couple of good signings could see us climb a few places still. We can finish anywhere in the bottom half of the table. There won’t be panic in the boardroom yet. 

If Purslow has overestimated Smith’s coaching ability at PL level then maybe a rethink is required in the summer but I can’t see it now.

Well if we can somehow win the League Cup doesn't that get us into Europe. Europa League I know but it's still Europe. In some parallel universe we could beat the same team that mawled us yesterday, that's if we get past Leicester of course

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Gonna be real, people are only saying 17th is an achivement because of how poorly we've started. The optimism back during the Summer was much higher than for a team that finishing 17th would be an achievement.

Where did you think we would finish after signing a completely new squad? 

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Sacking him for going down when 17th would be an achievement would be a bit short sighted. There seems to ba a lot of people willing to just abandon ship on the project that had the club completely buzzing and transformed. We knew we were going to be losing a hell of a lot of games this season, it's still early days for the project Smith got us up probably a year before the club was expecting. He's now trying to keep us in the top flight after the most mental turnover of players possibly ever in the division.

I mentioned before that we probably got promoted a year earlier than planned. I hope Smith doesn't get sacked, but I can totally understand why some fans are asking for it

The test is now two winnable games in the league and as a minimum we need 4 points, ideally six.

Brighton away and Watford at home. 

it gives us a chance to move out of the relegation zone before Liverpool. 

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

The test is now two winnable games in the league and as a minimum we need 4 points, ideally six.

Brighton away and Watford at home. 

it gives us a chance to move out of the relegation zone before Liverpool. 

Liverpool ? We don’t play them until mid April 

9 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I mentioned before that we probably got promoted a year earlier than planned. I hope Smith doesn't get sacked, but I can totally understand why some fans are asking for it

Same...... I am finding it really hard to stop thinking just that myself. 

I accept that we maybe ahead of schedule in the eyes of the board, but relegation would almost certainly put us back a year. I am starting to think the same I did towards the end of the Bruce tenure, no quality, no threat, no improvement but more importantly no identity. Deano seems to have gone against all his beliefs... We sold out season tickets on the promise of a brand of football.... it’s no where to be seen at the moment... with absolutely no sign of it coming back.  

20 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I thought it would take maybe 10 games to gel and then we’d improve as a team - as it is we’ve got worse rather than better.

Yes that's the problem,as I see it, we have put in some awful performances over the last couple of months. Surely the 'new' players should be getting better, not worse?

ATB

VLD.

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

They didn't need to. Wilder had been in charge three years and had built a team/squad over that time. When we played them three weeks ago 9 of the players that played against us played for Sheff Utd last season.

5 of our starting 11 in that game played for us last season & Kodjia came on to make it 6.  9 of our matchday squad were playing for us last season. Had mings been fit and we had gone with elmo & taylor that day instead of gulibert & targett who are apparently much better we could have easily started with 8 of last years players too

We started 8 of last seasons players yesterday against City, What is the reason that they looked like a bunch of strangers who had never even met ? surely they have had time to gel like sheff utd players....

Edited by LakotaDakota

34 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Well if we can somehow win the League Cup doesn't that get us into Europe. Europa League I know but it's still Europe. In some parallel universe we could beat the same team that mawled us yesterday, that's if we get past Leicester of course

Yes, although after yesterday I think we’ve got more chance of qualifying for the Champions League this season via the top 4 than beating Man City at Wembley..:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Purslow stated on the offical site at the start of the season that the we've no appetite to be a club that just makes up the numbers or to be involved in a relegation battle, so I think wrongly or rightly they were expecting us to be doing better than we are doing after the money that was spent 🦇.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I guess Hogan was part of that £45 mill?........thanks.

🤣    No, that money made on players sold was from Jan 2019 - Aug 2019, You have Bruce to thank for the Hogan episode in 2017, what a cracking result for us that was !!!!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

5 of our starting 11 in that game played for us last season & Kodjia came on to make it 6.  9 of our matchday squad were playing for us last season. Had mings been fit and we had gone with elmo & taylor that day instead of gulibert & targett who are apparently much better we could have easily started with 8 of last years players too

We started 8 of last seasons players yesterday against City, What is the reason that they looked like a bunch of strangers who had never even met ? surely they have had time to gel like sheff utd players....

3 of the back 4 that day came in over the summer. The other player in Hause was here last season on loan but hardly played. Add to that the goalkeeper came in over the summer. I'd imagine as has been the case on numerous occasions this season that was the first time that back 4 had played together. 

I'd imagine the same went for the midfield that as a unit it had played together no more than a couple of times. Then you go up top and Wesley would have played no more than 15 games at this level with these players.

Whilst we have retained and involved this season some players from the squad Smith inherited (Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Kodjia, El Ghazi, Chester) you'd have to say only 2 or 3 of them are good enough for this level.

The bottom line is we did have to undertake a huge overhaul in the summer and we are still playing back lines/midfields/forward lines that have less than half a dozen games together as a unit. It takes time to build up understandings and that hasn't been helped by having injuries to key players through out the season in Mings, McGinn, Wesley and Heaton.

6 hours ago, vreitti said:

Formation mattered diddly squat. It would've been damage control at best. The result simply reflected the obvious difference in quality. We are in the wrong league, with this squad.

Of course the formation matters. Do you think pep, and klopp say just go out and play. No, of course not. The formation must fit the players, and your formation must show your players qualities and not their negatives. Our formation was poor yesterday. Designed to park the bus, suffocate the opposition but meant we couldn’t attack at all. And it didn’t fit the players at all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Purslow stated on the offical site at the start of the season that the we've no appetite to be a club that just makes up the numbers or to be involved in a relegation battle, so I think wrongly or rightly they were expecting us to be doing better than we are doing after the money that was spent 🦇.

I thought the same until the game against Bournemouth.  I thought they were just a pretty footballing side but I was shocked at how much better physically they were as well as tactically and technically.  I hadn't appreciated just how much the Premier League has moved on since we got relegated.  It's a hell of a lot of catching up to do in one transfer window and 4 months of football.

Â