Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Regardless of whether it was a priority or not, yet again it was another inept performance by a team that is only going one way.

I want to believe that smith is the right man for the job but having just watched MOTD and today's performance I do fear that we will go down.

Yes we played the 'reserves' but deep down would it have been any better with grealish...mings...Heaton in the side I dont think so...the other players are just not good enough nor is management.

It's happened in all games this season he just doesnt know what to do...knockheart cutting in today....taylor giving him space all game....having 9 players in front of Arter before he shot...that's 9 players on the 18 yard line....simply not good enough regardless of the shot.  We defend like this in every game...10 v 5 in the box...still conceed...no options going forward because we sit and invite teams on to us.....what's Terry doing in training???

When you hear comments like fulham were more energetic...had drive...looked to play...looked more the premiership team...spraying balls across the pitch then it's simply not good enough....and on top of that 433...again.

I want to see us have a set up...a formation...a plan A...then a plan B...I want us to be the premiership team...pressing...playing....being proactive.

Another game with less than 40% possession...there will be those that say stats dont mean anything but if you have the ball at least the opposition cant score.

With the window open I hope we get 'good' players in...not just numbers...but I cant see it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For the first time in a very long time the club have been thinking more long term and for me it is to be applauded.

I agree, but the Suso signings will cost us IMO. Not good enough. All Dean's targets are players.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Yes we played the 'reserves' but deep down would it have been any better with grealish...mings...Heaton in the side I dont think so...the other players are just not good enough nor is management.

Smith doesn't sign or scout the players. He puts forward suggestions that he'd like e.g. Konsa, Engels

3 of the starting 11 came in since Smith. Rest already here so while I wouldn't disagree that many aren't good enough and never will be it's not Smith's fault he can't get a tune out of them

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some of these posts make me wonder if we won our last Premier League game, with a pretty good performance and new system which seemed to suit our players.

Our reserve team losing a cup match means all of a sudden we're doomed and everyone is shite again.

Don't forget Fulham away is an easy match

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some of these posts make me wonder if we won our last Premier League game, with a pretty good performance and new system which seemed to suit our players.

Our reserve team losing a cup match means all of a sudden we're doomed and everyone is shite again.

I remember the drama this date last season from the exact same poster when Swansea beat us

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Regardless of whether it was a priority or not, yet again it was another inept performance by a team that is only going one way.

I want to believe that smith is the right man for the job but having just watched MOTD and today's performance I do fear that we will go down.

It's happened in all games this season he just doesnt know what to do...knockheart cutting in today....taylor giving him space all game....having 9 players in front of Arter before he shot...that's 9 players on the 18 yard line....simply not good enough regardless of the shot.  We defend like this in every game...10 v 5 in the box...still conceed...no options going forward because we sit and invite teams on to us.....what's Terry doing in training???

When you hear comments like fulham were more energetic...had drive...looked to play...looked more the premiership team...spraying balls across the pitch then it's simply not good enough....and on top of that 433...again.

I want to see us have a set up...a formation...a plan A...then a plan B...I want us to be the premiership team...pressing...playing....being proactive.

Another game with less than 40% possession...there will be those that say stats dont mean anything but if you have the ball at least the opposition cant score.

With the window open I hope we get 'good' players in...not just numbers...but I cant see it.

Genuinely didn't see a performance as bad as you say from the stands at Craven Cottage. It wasn't class, but we were playing a second string, missing our best options in almost every position, it wasn't a gimme. 

However, we created the better chances and we're undone by a couple of amazing goals which neither Knockeart or Arter would likely score 99/100 times. We had more clear cut opportunities than they did, and could've won it without too much stretch of the imagination. 

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Think at the moment you have to say that with fingers firmly crossed. We are only just OK and at severe risk of slipping.

It will be by the skin of our teeth if we do stay up.

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Smith changed his tune.

Before the game he talked about our proud history in the cups and we are taking them seriously.

In his post match interview he says the game isn't a big priority and refers to the substitutes made for us not taking it that serious.

But on the other hand we have had 3 injuries to key players since then and are already in a semi-final. If we want to win a cup let's focus on the one where we only have to play 3 games instead of 8.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Genuinely didn't see a performance as bad as you say from the stands at Craven Cottage. It wasn't class, but we were playing a second string, missing our best options in almost every position, it wasn't a gimme. 

However, we created the better chances and we're undone by a couple of amazing goals which neither Knockeart or Arter would likely score 99/100 times. We had more clear cut opportunities than they did, and could've won it without too much stretch of the imagination. 

but if you stand off players......there is always a likely hood of it happening.

I get that we didn't want to progress in this cup.....but surely some of those fringe players should be playing for a 1st team place.

I despair with the lack of conviction from these fringe players.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I wouldn't put that on Smith though or even Purslow/Garcia. The legacy of what they inherited meant that we lost 12 players over the summer who all needed replacing and we did so for an average of just over 10 million pound each.

I am sure Smith would have loved to have been able to do what Wilder has done and just add a few players to the squad that came up and be competitive. We didn't have that luxury though due to the incompetence and short term planning of those that went before. We ended last season with a dozen players who were either not good enough for the Prem 3 years ago never mind now in Jedinak, Whelan, Adomah, Elphick, Richards, players who had completely flopped in the likes of Hogan and McCormack and a handful of loan players.

I think we have done pretty well in our recruitment given that we have spent. Mings, Hause, Konsa for a combined 35 mill is great value, Engles, cost 7 mill, Guilbert 7 mill and Heaton 7 mill all look good value. Nakamba for 10 mill has done okay, Luiz you could argue at 15 mill isn't matching that price tag but he looks like a player with a lot of potential and I expect he will improve. Anwar, Trez, Jota cost around 20 mill combined and I think some of us expect them all to look like 20 million pound players individually. Then you have Wesley a young forward who cost 22 million, has scored 6 goals, and given his age you'd hope will only improve if he can come back from his injury. He has also arguably looked better than players who came in at the same time, are also adjusting to a new league/country and cost far more in Joelinton and Moise Kean.

The recruitment this summer was trying to strike a balance. Sign players who could obviously hopefully keep us up but also players who were on the up, had their best years ahead of them and not behind them and who could improve over time. You aren't going to get it right with every player but for me given what we spent we got it right with most of them and are on course to achieve the first goal of staying up. If we don't then there is the basis of a squad to bring us back up, a number of players who will be sold for very big fees, some of which can be reinvested, meaning we are in a far better position than the last time we went down.

For the first time in a very long time the club have been thinking more long term and for me it is to be applauded.

I am certainly not as convinced as you Mark. I think while it ( the highlighted bit) has merit, its starting to wear thin......There are things I see during a game, should'nt take nearly 18 months to fix. I am dubious of such a credulous approach, when we have seen so many false dawns.

I get that since we went down with 3 wins, the club has sunk much lower than any of us actually realised....and its been a slog to get back, the last 2 seasons where we had 24 wins and 20 wins respectively and promotion, has been the lifting of Dark Clouds, no doubt about that.

This season has been much of what we expected in the way of results, However I disagree with you on the value of the players sorry....£10 mill for Nakamba, not for me, so far he has shown he can't hold the middle and play goes past him, passing is iffy......£14 mill for Target was hefty too IMO He has had some mixed performances, but doesn't show the aggression or conviction to be a decent full back......I think you paint a picture on the wingers, they can't beat a man or cross a ball with any regularity, in short don't pose a threat to the opposition.....£18 mill on 2 of them......without going in to any depth, that is £ 42 mill on players showing very little return ....sure examples can be made from elsewhere, on both sides of the debate, how much did Pukki cost ?...How much did the Sheff Utd team cost? and he brought them up from the Div 1, what a feat.....Chris Wilder has a much more durable and robust bunch than we have , despite us having more flair in certain area's...thats what dissappoints me.

Mark, I tell you that type of wasteful spending cannot carry on and they won't allow it to carry on....no self respecting business man would.

you play it down, by saying 10 mill per player.....I can think of a few clubs who would have spent that money better than us...but we'll see.

Yesterday was brushed conveniently under the carpet as  " we didn't want to win anyway" thats for the manager to say, afterwards,  not the players to play it out.....some of them should be targetting a first team place and busting a gut to impress.not meandering around the pitch full of melancholy.

I will always remain positive, but deep down I do not see the picture you have painted.....I see a darker version.

I knew this season was going to be a tough season, but I didn't think we would continue to have such a soft under belly....I expected more fight, aggression and conviction in our play, and of course some do, but most don't.

We all cling to time like a desperate man , for salvation and to convince ourselves all is well.....while i see the glorious finishes, its the bit in between, I am not convinced yet.

PS How much time has Pearson wanted to make his mark, almost a spontaneous reaction to a club doomed to the championship with not fight in them......because if the right things are applied, you get the right reaction...it really is that simple.

PPS I really do get a sense of Holiday camp as opposed to Boot camp at BMH

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

I feel like the feel good factor is being tested/diluted and a more sombre mood is taking its place at B6.

However, If we are to get out of this quicksand, we need every able fan to be upbeat, on match day, which I think in the main has been the case.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

JV...but a deeper question lies here.

What were these fringe players doing to get in to the first team?.....irrespective of the competition it was in......where was the fire in the belly for that first team shirt......They was a bunch of sour pusses, who are comfortable picking up their lucrative salaries, for little effort.....This is what we are breeding, sorry to be so blunt.

The further question is.....what kind of backdrop allows that to happen?   what kind of camp allows so many sour faced players to meander on from week to week , month to month with what seems to me like miniscule ambition.

I can accept a player not being quite good enough( although after a while you question the recruitment/coaching too).....but no fight,no conviction gets me angry.

I still think after so much time and some improvement granted, there are still more questions than Answers for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Still think some people have completely over reacted to this Fulham defeat. Just check out Pearson's reaction to his "b" team blowing a 3 goal lead to League 1 relegation battling Tranmere. He couldn't care less and it's look like he will have that same attitude in the replay. It's all about premier league survival. That's it. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=560393

SmartSelect_20200105-072440_ESPN.jpg

• Like 2

Â