Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think it's two problems combined that is costing us points at the moment:

1. Grealish is our best player by some distance, so everything goes through him.
  2. We play him in the same position in the same formation every week, so oppositions are well drilled in what they need to do to stop him.

Our best run of form came when we switched Grealish out wide, and opposition managers weren't prepared for it. Now it might be time to bring him back inside to a 10 or 8 role, but that doesn't mean we can't continue to also use him wide left at times.

It's not that 4-3-3 is a bad formation, or that Grealish wide left doesn't work. It's the fact that we don't vary it at all. Rodgers has laid down the blueprint for beating it, and everyone else will copy that until we change it.

(Edit: there are loads of other problems, of course, but this is the easiest one to fix quickly.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

With the Watford result the battle is well and truly on.  Does Dean have what it takes to shake things up and start getting some good results in the next few games?  If he starts against Norwich with the same tactics and formation then I doubt it.  The board better prepare for relegation and resulting exodus of players

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Brentford fans were not that gutted,  it was mostly sentiment. Actually remember a Brentford fan coming on here confirming his style of play will not change.

I'm Sorry to say, that was me, I had hoped he would have changed with Villa, but he's carried on from Walsall and us in the same style, a reluctance to change.

• Like 3

Smiths admission that the players 'aren't working hard enough' is the same as admitting that ' I can't do the job'. Hard work is a given in professional football. 

I actually believe that properly coached we have the makings of a mid table  Premiership team, with the exception of Wesley who is embarrassingly inept.

Fat Sam to the rescue please....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'm Sorry to say, that was me, I had hoped he would have changed with Villa, but he's carried on from Walsall and us in the same style, a reluctance to change.

Will be his downfall.

His stubbornness to a formation and system that isn't working, but most of all his stubbornness with Wesley is just killing us every week.

Considering he's defensive record has been abysmal wherever he's been proves this isn't just a fluke thing.

An organized defence is the foundation to any successful football team. 

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Smiths admission that the players 'aren't working hard enough' is the same as admitting that ' I can't do the job'. Hard work is a given in professional football. 

I actually believe that properly coached we have the makings of a mid table  Premiership team, with the exception of Wesley who is embarrassingly inept.

Fat Sam to the rescue please....

Fat Sam, please, not that again. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Agreed - but the prospect of Smith's successor being anywhere near the calibre of Ancelotti is very remote IMO.

Why? What have Everton achieved in the last 35 years that makes them a better prospect than us? It's not as if they have owners as rich as ours!

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

Why? What have Everton achieved in the last 35 years that makes them a better prospect than us? It's not as if they have owners as rich as ours!

Our status as a club have dropped significanly after spending 3 seasons in the Championship.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last time he managed in PL he finished 8th.

Last time he managed in The Championship he finished 1st.

Yeah keep disrespecting a highly underrated manager.

Kept a woeful Sunderland side in the PL who promptly fell apart when he left and was replaced with Moyes.If it comes down simply to us being 15 games to go and we need to survive I would be much more  confident in Sam pulling it off than Smith...for a start we might actually be coached to defend from a corner !!

8 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Maybe they are more savvy though. Our owners signed off £22m on Wesley and were seriously considering Theiry Henry as our manager.

• Like 1

I really wish Dean would try 5 at the back. It would get more height in the team and also better suit our fullbacks who are both much better in attack than defence.

Whilst SJM is out it would enable Luiz and Nakamba to sit in front of the defence. Jack could play in an advanced central role. This would leave the option of two up top or a 9 with someone in the hole.

Gotta be worth a pop. I think it would make us more solid whilst also provide an attacking threat.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe they are more savvy though. Our owners signed off £22m on Wesley and were seriously considering Theiry Henry as our manager.

Everton savvy ! ..they have spent £450mil on players in 4 years and are 4 points ahead of us 

• Like 1

Everton have a much better squad than we do and have very ambitious owners who've spent a lot of money and will have promised Ancelloti even more, they're also moving into a new stadium. That's not to say we can't attract a big name manager in the right circumstances, but they're in a better position to do so than we are at the moment.

So lets get this into perspective,

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend against corners

Cannot defend a lead

Keep conceding within 10 minutes after half time

Cannot make our striker work after 18 games, but continues to play him

No tactical changes when needed

Played McGinn injured

Looking no better from the start of the season

Same mistakes being made every game

No aggressiveness from players

Can someone post me the positives.