Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Zatman said:

Because thats not how football works, we had to buy centre backs. Konsa had a release clause too, Maupay didn't 

Yes - but we opted out of Maupay - spent £9m on Konsa, £4m on Jota, - that's £13m on players not getting a sniff of first team - we should have just paid the £16m for Maupay.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yes - but we opted out of Maupay - spent £9m on Konsa, £4m on Jota, - that's £13m on players not getting a sniff of first team - we should have just paid the £16m for Maupay.

And what defender and winger would we have signed for peanuts? 

We don't even know if Brentford would do business with us for 16million 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Smith has proven he doesn't cut it at this level. On that basis i don't see a long term project under him.

Had 17 games. Yet you say Sean Dyche is proven. Relegated in 1st season. Big Sam is proven his first 2 seasons he stayed up on last day

How does one become proven? Do they need go to relegation school? 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

But that's my point - Jota and Konsa wouldn't have been missed - they hardly play and when they do they look short of what is needed at this level.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We spunked £22million on the useless lump Wesley. That could have been spent on Maupay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Had 17 games. Yet you say Sean Dyche is proven. Relegated in 1st season. Big Sam is proven his first 2 seasons he stayed up on last day

How does one become proven? Do they need go to relegation school? 

The very least you should expect is him being able to motivate the players.

Man management is probably the most important aspect for a modern coach.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

The very least you should expect is him being able to motivate the players.

Man management is probably the most important aspect for a modern coach.

That didnt answer the question at all

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We aren't Burnley.

Different clubs. They didn't spend 140 million is one summer.

The clubs aren't even comparable. 

Again deflect the question. What makes a proven manager? 

"Proven" is really just semantics. Is Smith looking out of his depth at this level? IMO he absolutely is. Does that mean we get rid him? Not necessarily. Dyche is a good example of what sticking with a manager can achieve, I'm sure he looked out of his depth in his first season in the top flight when he took Burnley down.

The question for us is whether we have an appetite to do this or do we take the risk on someone who appears more 'proven' in the top flight. Our financial exposure should we go down will be huge and a lot greater than what Burnley had to manage.

For me the next two games are crucial, four points would be acceptable. If we happen to come out with no points then it becomes more difficult to make the argument for sticking with Smith, just being honest here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst I agree Dyche is a good manager, you have to remember that Burnley in their first year back up under Dyche were relegated. They stuck by him, he got them promoted again and then thrived in the prem. 

I could see Smith being exactly the same 

Totally correct but the point being Dyche now has that premier league experience at this level and therefore would be a decent option should smith go .

Everton's appointment of Carlo Ancelotti proves that you don't have to be a Champions League club to attract one of the best managers in the game. It's time for Villa and its fans to realise that we are a big enough club to attract quality and aspire to greatness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Everton's appointment of Carlo Ancelotti proves that you don't have to be a Champions League club to attract one of the best managers in the game. It's time for Villa and its fans to realise that we are a big enough club to attract quality and aspire to greatness.

Agreed - but the prospect of Smith's successor being anywhere near the calibre of Ancelotti is very remote IMO.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So you don't know what a proven manager even means. Noted for every time you keep saying it 😂😂

Are you a toddler? You need words explained?

Proven PL manager doesn't have a definite answer. 

But i can tell you a coach that's been given 140 mill and not being able to escape survival isn't very proven.

Sean Dyche example is terrible tbh. Mostly because

1-It is at this point the only example of how sticking with a manager through relegation might lead you to coming back up stronger. There are more examples of clubs doing the same and failing. Look at Neil Warnock. The board stuck by him through relegation and what happened to him? Left Cardiff at 14th place in the Championship before leaving the club out of mutual consent. The same happened to Alex Neil, who was sacked after leaving the club  9 points off the playoffs in the Championship. Both managers did wonders in bringing their teams up from the Championship, but what did sentiment get them?

2-It is I feel very much taken for granted that Smith will easily be able to achieve promotion again for us just as Dyche did. The situations are different, there are many managers who've gotten incredible achievements in one season but have failed to replicate any semblance of that in the future. It happens. Much less us becoming a stronger even if we get promoted again. Let me tell you, our new owners will probably be a lot more stingy with their money if we go down this season and that by itself is going to be a big handicap for us. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â