Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smith's naivety and friendliness puts Jack as captain. Of course he is the favorite, it shows, you can see how the team are expected to play him in every opportunity and I think it annoys some of the newbies. Ming's should have been the captain from day one, much more ruthless and pulls the team together. Though I think he may be a bit too ruthless for Smith's style.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith's naivety and friendliness puts Jack as captain. Of course he is the favorite, it shows, you can see how the team are expected to play him in every opportunity and I think it annoys some of the newbies. Ming's should have been the captain from day one, much more ruthless and pulls the team together. Though I think he may be a bit too ruthless for Smith's style.

To be very honest I am shocked that Heaton hasn't been given the captain's armband. Mings or Heaton should of been the man in charge, I don't think Jack as captain is working, I'd rather him concentrating on his field play without the extra added stress of the captain's band.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Last time he managed in PL he finished 8th.

Last time he managed in The Championship he finished 1st.

Yeah keep disrespecting a highly underrated manager.

You know how some people like the sound of their own voice, I think in the same way, you like the look of your own posts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a big Smith fan, and commented earlier in the season that it was always going to be a battle this season, we'd have tough periods and we'll have to ride it out. However, even as a Smith fan, there are some seriously worrying trends currently. Starting halves slowly, the lack of intensity with and without the ball, the lack of running, the lack of closing down. The opposition have acres of space and so much time to do what they want against us it's ridiculous! Many of us myself included blamed Bruce when he was here for exactly what Smith is doing now - stubbornly playing the same way, having a lack of a game plan and making poor use of subs. At the moment, I really cannot fathom what our game plan is, and without Grealish we have nothing going forwards. What the absolute **** do we do on the training ground with that defence? Our defending at the moment is absolutely shambolic, yes Mings is out but even with him in the side we've been suspect. What input does JT have? As good a job as Smith did last season, as many have said, the timing of this contract extension is debatable at best. I'd like to think over the next few games he'll turn it around and we pick up some results to save us a potentially awkward decision to make, however I won't hold my breath. Really don't know what the answer is. On one hand, we stick with him and hope we ride out this rough patch and give him funds in January which are much needed, or we start sounding out candidates. This poor run can't go on regardless of the contract situation. If it's me I'd stick for now and give him the next 3 games. Fingers crossed we pick up in these games and we'll not be talking of manager change.. can't lie though I'm worried like many of you on here. 

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

So lets get this into perspective,

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend against corners

Cannot defend a lead

Keep conceding within 10 minutes after half time

Cannot make our striker work after 18 games, but continues to play him

No tactical changes when needed

Played McGinn injured

Looking no better from the start of the season

Same mistakes being made every game

No aggressiveness from players

Can someone post me the positives.

He s not Theiry Henry.

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend a lead

Played McGinn injured

He s not Theiry Henry.

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend a lead

Played McGinn injured

He s not Theiry Henry.

8 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

I'm a big Smith fan, and commented earlier in the season that it was always going to be a battle this season, we'd have tough periods and we'll have to ride it out. However, even as a Smith fan, there are some seriously worrying trends currently. Starting halves slowly, the lack of intensity with and without the ball, the lack of running, the lack of closing down. The opposition have acres of space and so much time to do what they want against us it's ridiculous! Many of us myself included blamed Bruce when he was here for exactly what Smith is doing now - stubbornly playing the same way, having a lack of a game plan and making poor use of subs. At the moment, I really cannot fathom what our game plan is, and without Grealish we have nothing going forwards. What the absolute **** do we do on the training ground with that defence? Our defending at the moment is absolutely shambolic, yes Mings is out but even with him in the side we've been suspect. What input does JT have? As good a job as Smith did last season, as many have said, the timing of this contract extension is debatable at best. I'd like to think over the next few games he'll turn it around and we pick up some results to save us a potentially awkward decision to make, however I won't hold my breath. Really don't know what the answer is. On one hand, we stick with him and hope we ride out this rough patch and give him funds in January which are much needed, or we start sounding out candidates. This poor run can't go on regardless of the contract situation. If it's me I'd stick for now and give him the next 3 games. Fingers crossed we pick up in these games and we'll not be talking of manager change.. can't lie though I'm worried like many of you on here. 

We don't give Smith money. A N other selects the players to buy. It's that selection process that needs to drastically improve.

You ain't staying in the prem with Guilbert and Trez in your starting 11 for example.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

We don't give Smith money. A N other selects the players to buy. It's that selection process that needs to drastically improve.

You ain't staying in the prem with Guilbert and Trez in your starting 11 for example.

Nah, Guilbert and Trez aren't the best players but the idea that we can't survive in the prem with them in our starting 11 is ludicrous. They should be good enough for that at least.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nah, Guilbert and Trez aren't the best players but the idea that we can't survive in the prem with them in our starting 11 is ludicrous. They should be good enough for that at least.

I'm with you - this is bonkers. Go back three weeks on the Guilbert thread for a bunch of people saying he was the future, one of their favourite players and integral to the spine of the team.

Trez suffers from the fact that he constantly looks like he doesn't know what his feet are doing but he's not a bad player.

I'd give Dean the season personally, though I'd imagine that lack of "decisiveness" will not be popular.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

It may not seem like it but Guilbert is in the top ten for tackles and interceptions in PL so far

Guilbert is quality methinks. He was absolute shit last match, but I don't think we should overreact to players from that match alone. 

Our players are obviously low on confidence, but they still need to settle. Having a brand new team was always going to be tough. Deano must do better and the season will be a scrap, but we got to give everyone time. 

Unfortunately the only player we seemingly can't rotate is the one player we desperately need to give time on the bench out of the spotlight. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 4

Personally i would like to see us vary things from time to time when it is clear the 4-3-3 is simply not working....Which is often!

Top managers know how & when to change formation and tend to do it quickly too when they can see it's not working, at least that's how it seems. I'm sure Mourihnho did it the other week for example .

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Anyone talking about getting rid has the shortest **** memory in history. It was always going to be an incredibly uphill task, we were forced by the last regime's complete negligent management to replace half of the squad in the summer, and we've gone up a league at the same time. Smith and O'Kelly shoudl be the footballing side of the club's continuity otherwise there is none at the moment. Swap them out and there's only Pitarch providing it, which only about 18 months into the new regime isn't exactly awesome sauce. 

Going down wouldn't exactly be great, but with the massive parachute payments we'd have a big competitive advantage for a couple of years and have owners who will invest as much as FFP will allow. We would be in a massively better place than the last time we went down anyway. I can't believe that now we've had the bad run a lot of us were expecting all the good that has been done is ignored and it's the end of the world and everything is shit. That's mental talk for me and it's still not impossible for us to turn it around and stay up and invest and continue on with the project we were all so seemingly chuffed to bits with not so very long ago.

Are people not getting it!! 

The owners did not spend £130 million to be relegated the end of the season. A few fans might be happy for Smith to relegate us, but i'm sure as hell the owners won't be. If we play like we have been playing, with no fight or organisation, he will be gone, weather we like it or not! It's not acceptable, an the owners should see it this way too, especially after giving him that 4 year contract, it's as good as taking the piss out the board. 

I'm really wanna to give him time, but if we don't win one of the next 3, they'll be a new hashtag #Smithout

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Should be ? - but are they ?

I've been been saying Guilbert isn't up to it for months - good workrate - and good recovery tackles - but the other parts of his game passing, position, crossing are way below what is required.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

Should be ? - but are they ?

I've been been saying Guilbert isn't up to it for months - good workrate - and good recovery tackles - but the other parts of his game passing, position, crossing are way below what is required.

At least you have to admit that neither are atrocious, they have their weaknesses but so do most players.

The larger point I'm making is that these players don't have to be quality to keep us up, There have been worse players who've played and are playing for first 11s that are higher in the league position than us right now. Sheffield United is arguably a team full of them right now. When you compare the players in the bottom 5 teams, hell even most of the bottom 10 right now do you honestly think they have that much better players than ours? I don't think so, they most likely have a couple of "not good enough" players too. The bigger difference maker I feel is really down to the respective management teams and if you have a good enough manager, surviving relegation should be possible. We're not one of those promoted teams that spent literally nothing and are happy to just be in the league ffs, we spent a shit ton of money for the players and I refuse to believe they're still so much worse than all the other teams in the bottom 10. Not with one of the best midfielders in the league, Jack Grealish in the team as well.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

We are now paying the price for the numerous games we've spunked points away, first game against spurs, 1-0 up we should've got at least a point, gifting Bournemouth 2 goals in the first game at villa park, losing against liverpool and arsenal when we shouldve took at least 4 points from those 2 games given the performances on the day, the new signings were mostly looking good players, 3 weeks ago we were a win a way from getting into the top half of the table, now we need a win to get out the bottom 3 on goal difference

I just wish aston villa for once could win a few of the christmas fixtures, instead of being shit 

• Like 3

Â