Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And sacking him will make everything better? That's how we became a mess last time. Changing manager everytime a bad spell came our way

Um, I could name a lot of reasons why we became a mess, switching managers would probably be far down the list of reasons. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Bonkers decision giving him a contract extension. Should have waited until the end of the season.

If we are in the bottom three come 3rd January he needs to go for me. No room in this league for sentimentality. 

This is three or four of the things that are wrong with modern football encapsulated in less than 50 words. Impressive. 

• Thanks 1

I'm still largely behind him but one thing I don't get is these conference calls between Dean, John Terry and O'Kelly that tend to last five minutes on the bench.

It usually leads to a sub coming on but surely he should have the confidence to decide a play has to come off and just do it rather than run it through and seemingly get John Terry's permission?

Didn't impact today too much in the second half but we've lost quite a few points already this season because of dithering over making subs or changing shape.

Leicester today had Kelech Iheanacho playing well and scored. He was on a yellow and was involved in incident with Engels although it was accidental. Regardless he was taken straight off so to me that's a little example of a manager who's very sharp on game management and DS is quite a bit behind that compared to many of his peers at this level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim said:

Bonkers decision giving him a contract extension. Should have waited until the end of the season.

If we are in the bottom three come 3rd January he needs to go for me. No room in this league for sentimentality. 

We can't sack him now, but I agree there was no rush to give an extension. It's not like Arsenal was behind the door. 

Just now, lexicon said:

Would love to know what expectations people had of this season. 

Over the summer it seemed that most said that they'd be happy if we stayed up and continued building. Now it seems that isn't good enough. 

This was always my fear for the season. That fans wouldn't be able to adapt to being newly promoted.

Anyone think sheff united and Norwich fans would be moaning sitting 17th at this point?

I'm sure JT is doing a great job with the defenders but all that goes out the window when Smith set us up the way he do.

Since all our midfielders are bombing forward it's almost like a counter attack every time the opponent have the ball.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Um, I could name a lot of reasons why we became a mess, switching managers would probably be far down the list of reasons. 

Without going way off topic. It was part of the reason. 

I can't even believe the idea of changing managers is being discussed.

We are sitting in the league position that is our target. This is success right now. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Staying in the PL isn't the be-all OF AVFC. It's very obvious the owners gave him a new contract because they believe he's our long term future. Sacking him because we're in the bottom 3 in January is completely antithetical to that.

If you think this way who gives  F***. Lets just enjoy this season. It's just next season if we get relegated, we will not be the West Brom of the Championship. We would have lost Grealish, and McGinn an probably Heaton (who's keeping us above the relegation zone this season so far), an have no money to spend due to FFP.

How much I enjoyed the Championship, I only enjoyed the winning, it won't be like that if we go back down, we need to stay in this league, an I'm sure it's what the owners will be gagging for too. So even though I like Smith, this league is hardcore, an if we ain't winning and if nothing changes, I will lose all sentiments an will want him gone. This is not just a reaction from the Leicester game.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Without going way off topic. It was part of the reason. 

I can't even believe the idea of changing managers is being discussed.

We are sitting in the league position that is our target. This is success right now. 

Mate, we're literally above the relegation spot on goal difference, that is not success or at the very least its just not failure.

I get the expectations wise, finishing above the relegation spots was always the goal before the start of the season. The thing is, the more I watch Smith the more I think to myself he really should be doing better as a manager. To put it simply, I think our current crop of players are good enough(at least with a new striker) to finish mid-table which I have to commend Smith for getting them in the door, but at the same time I just don't think he's tactically a very good manager in games so that aspect of him drags us down. 

I'm not asking for a new manager, I don't think anyone here is. But if I have to be completely honest, I've just haven't seen enough evidence that Smith is good enough as a manager to bring us up in the long term if we do stick with him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Would love to know what expectations people had of this season. 

Over the summer it seemed that most said that they'd be happy if we stayed up and continued building. Now it seems that isn't good enough. 

It's the recruitment im pissed off at more than anything. I think this " we had a plan for the championship and plan for the PL scenario " peddled by Purslow was nonsense. We got promoted. We then started scouting who we were going to sign. It was rushed. We needed boddies in obviously after letting 11 go. The reality is that those 11 or close to it were going to be let go had we not beaten Derby. I think we would of looked very different also in the championship this season but when you make a turnover on the scale we've done and do it poorly, in the premier league, you'll get your arse handed to ya.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

It's the recruitment im pissed off at more than anything. I think this " we had a plan for the championship and plan for the PL scenario " peddled by Purslow was nonsense. We got promoted. We then started scouting who we were going to sign. It was rushed. We needed boddies in obviously after letting 11 go. The reality is that those 11 or close to it were going to be let go had we not beaten Derby. I think we would of looked very different also in the championship this season but when you make a turnover on the scale we've done and do it poorly, in the premier league, you'll get your arse handed to ya.

How does that mean we didn't have a plan? We had a plan, but it didn't go as well as we'd hoped. When do all signings made by clubs work out, anyway?

It was never going to be an easy ride. 

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Bit OTT all this. We are 3 points from mid table and have played a lot of good sides. Got an easier run coming up. 

Ultimately I enjoy watching Villa now, which I haven't done for a decade or so. We got a good philosophy and are learning all the time. We need patience to develop as a side. 

It's imperative we stick by him. 

BUT it doesn't mean we shouldn't expect Deano to learn from his mistakes. 

You'd of thought we would of beaten Burnley and Bournemouth at home, right. No easier run. There's the next game. That's it.

Â