Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Bonkers decision giving him a contract extension. Should have waited until the end of the season.

If we are in the bottom three come 3rd January he needs to go for me. No room in this league for sentimentality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Let's face it we got dicked by a team that's won 8 in a row and have already stuffed a team 9-0 away from home.  Did we cover ourselves in glory?  No, and we lost our heads, our shape was all over the place when Dean made the kind of sub that people have been crying out for this season.  Ultimately I think we will stay up if we play like we did against Newcastle against that kind of opposition.  I don't see any reason not to believe that.  We haven't actually played that many 'poorer' teams at home and we have a good record against them.  

Burnley. West Ham. Bournemouth. Won none of em.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Who did he scout that you are happy with ?

Konsa, Engles, Luiz, Nakamba, Mings(even if I disagree he should've cost that much) and Trezeguet I'm all happy with. I think they're all quality players or have good potential to be quality. I just don't think they're tactically organized or coached very well.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

What part did he play in the recruitment ? Wasn't he suppose to change it then. If he's sitting back and having his belly tickled by Pitarch and Purslow then what's the point.

We had almost no players before the window - how were we supposed to just assemble everyone we needed in one window with such an enormous rebuild?

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Showing his inexperience to me, yes Leicester are a better team, but that second half showed he had no idea how to change a game. Not sure what the thinking of giving him a  4 year contract was, but although I like him as a person and Villa man, not sure he is gonna make it. Will Edens and co be happy for us to sit in the relegation places after 150 million of there money spent, not so sure.

Better team is an understatement. They're the best team in the league right now. 

We've just come out of a run that included City, Liverpool, Wolves, United, Chelsea and Leicester and we're still not in the relegation zone. All of those bar 2 have been away from home. Seasons not even halfway done yet. How about we let it play out before we start making statements on Wes Eden's return on investment yeah?

Just now, DCJonah said:

This is just ridiculous. 

Why? We have some favourable fixtures coming up and if we are still in the mire, Smith clearly isn’t up to the task. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

How does he change it with the players at his disposal?

It's not the players chap, ok some look poor but most teams lack a bit more quality players but manage. At the begining of the season a few saw our team no worse than Crystal palace, I still think this.  Just looks like a team to me that would be turned round with a decent manager, not wanting Smith out yet, but I just don't see him making it, always thought it was a little early for him, how he played at Brentford was never gonna work in the Premier league. Thought tactically he would change, but don't think he can, we still play much to open.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Bonkers decision giving him a contract extension. Should have waited until the end of the season.

If we are in the bottom three come 3rd January he needs to go for me. No room in this league for sentimentality. 

Staying in the PL isn't the be-all OF AVFC. It's very obvious the owners gave him a new contract because they believe he's our long term future. Sacking him because we're in the bottom 3 in January is completely antithetical to that.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is the most glaring weakness in the coaching set up. We are abysmal off the ball, we look slow and brainless. Leicester look super fit and hunt in packs. We have to improve this side of our game.

As much as people slated Pulis, he used to have trading drills where the starting XI would not play with the ball and learn where do drop without possesion and how to set up lines across midfield and the back four. He also used to drill people on where to drop if someone was caught upfield

In no way am I suggesting we go full Pulis, but we could do with a week of these kind of drills

I like what Smith does from an attacking perspective but defensivley he is woeful

What staggers me more is that Terry and Smith should know defending!

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Better team is an understatement. They're the best team in the league right now. 

We've just come out of a run that included City, Liverpool, Wolves, United, Chelsea and Leicester and we're still not in the relegation zone. All of those bar 2 have been away from home. Seasons not even halfway done yet. How about we let it play out before we start making statements on Wes Eden's return on investment yeah?

Be nice if we had that time?

I fully believe in him. Even if we get relegated I'd stick by him. But I really want to see him starting learning from his mistakes. He's doing the same shite over and over. 

How he doesn't stop using Wesley is bonkers. And benching Guilbert is just ridiculous. As is his decision to play McGinn advanced. 

1 minute ago, jim said:

Why? We have some favourable fixtures coming up and if we are still in the mire, Smith clearly isn’t up to the task. 

And sacking him will make everything better? That's how we became a mess last time. Changing manager everytime a bad spell came our way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Staying in the PL isn't the be-all OF AVFC. It's very obvious the owners gave him a new contract because they believe he's our long term future. Sacking him because we're in the bottom 3 in January is completely antithetical to that.

If we go down after spending 150million pounds or whatever, we spent, he deserves the sack. We'd be forced to sell most of our best players and there's no guarantee we'd come up straight away after. To put it simply, if Smith takes us down, he has no future with us. 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If results are bad VP turns bad, if VP turns bad then the long contract isn't worth the paper its written on. It is just more expensive to boot him

Contract should have waited until the summer IMO

Edited by KHV

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

And sacking him will make everything better? That's how we became a mess last time. Changing manager everytime a bad spell came our way

We kept signing shite managers, cause we had a shite owner. It's different now.

Â