Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think this view of dismissing the big teams as a "bridge too far" and settling on taking points off the lower teams as a strategy, is worrying.

I think some of these lower teams will be scrapping for their lives and its something we are not particularly good at.

The big teams are there for a reason,granted, but they do let you play too....which is what we like and feel comfortable with.

I'm sad to say, I think we have a rude awakening coming.....these lower teams are not going to be a pushover, some think they will be.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think this view of dismissing the big teams as a bridge too far and settling on taking points off the lower teams as are strategy is worrying.

I think some of these lower teams will be scrapping for their lives and its something we are not particularly good at.

The big teams are there for a reason,granted, but they do let you play too....which is what we like and feel comfortable with.

I'm sad to say, I think we have a rude awakening coming.....these lower teams are not going to be a pushover, some think they will be.

They never are, we do have a greater chance of winning, but if we continue to make the mistakes in defense, then we give every team a chance. Smith still hasn't quiet worked out the balance of the team for the level of opponents, he needs to do that soon.

I feel we will score goals, but don't have so much confidence that we will conceded less. Heaton has made some games look closer than they actually have been.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villianusa said:

They never are, we do have a greater chance of winning, but if we continue to make the mistakes in defense, then we give every team a chance. Smith still hasn't quiet worked out the balance of the team for the level of opponents, he needs to do that soon.

I feel we will score goals, but don't have so much confidence that we will conceded less. Heaton has made some games look closer than they actually have been.

I agree.

but with McGone off form ( sorry I love him really) and Conor being conor, what is there to stop the opposition on the ground or in the air?.....what protection has the defenders got.....I'm sorry, I am not convinced Marvellous is the answer, Yet or Luiz.....both have not got the stature for what I'm looking for.....Pepe has just come out and said the same thing about his team, too many small players.....Guilbert is a decent player, but an aerial ball to the back post and he is stuffed for height.....even a thick manager, would target that as an opportunity....He is more inclined to be a winger.

I want to see a Viera type in Midfield, who can dominate......no wonder that are all knackered after 70 minutes, the running back and getting shoved around.

Edited by TRO

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Interesting to hear Pepe's admission that he needs to re-examine his team.

He said " we are facing bigger players in this league now, its changing, my players are talented, but generally on the small side"

I think the same applies to us, particularly in midfield, where ours are on the small side.....I was desperate to get Mings in and I think Engles needs to come back in and Target is a move forward from Taylor.

With McGinn more like McGone having lost his form, we are lightweight ......I hope Dean recognises this too and makes some improvements in the new window.

Who do you mean Pepe? 

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

but with McGone off form ( sorry I love him really) and Conor being connor, what is there to stop the opposition on the ground or in the air?.....what protection has the defenders got.....I'm sorry, I am not convinced Marvellous is the answer, Yet or Luiz.....both have not got the stature for what I'm looking for.....Pepe has just come out and said the same thing about his team, too many small players.....Guilbert is a decent player, but an aerial ball to the back post and he is stuffed for height.....even a thick manager, would target that as an opportunity....He is more inclined to be a winger.

I want to see a Viera type in Midfield, who can dominate......no wonder that are all knackered after 70 minutes, the running back and getting shoved around.

I agree to a point, but I don't think the center midfielders are the biggest problem we have to deal with at present. The majority of the goals we have conceded of late have been crosses from out wide and Konza in particular not picking the run of Rashford and Tammy in last two games. He is a good player but a little naive at present and we can't let it continue.

Fullbacks need to get tighter and they need help from the wide players at times. We gave United a free cross for Rashford's goal and Konza stood still and the game changed.

Wesley is working his butt off but his best work is taking place near the half-way line. We need to get our wingers in behind their defense and have him crashing the box. He wins a decent mount in the air, but he is often isolated, This has been a problem for forwards before when we play this system, I'd rather a tighter 4231 against the stronger teams, with a 433 for games we have a greater chance of winning.

• Like 1

Dean must have such a headache at the moment

Nakamba plays really well, but we seem to look better when he doesn't play.

We rarely win when Connor doesn't play, but he can be pretty anonymous.

We seem to be better when Luiz plays, but Luiz rarely contributes much in matches when he does play.

Engels and Mings both delivers heroics but both makes costly mistakes.

Konsa makes less mistakes but delivers less heroics.

We are def better when Guilbert and El Ghazi are on the same side of the pitch, Anwar offers more goal threat that Wes and Trez.

McGinn is arguably our second most talented players after Grealish, but has somehow become almost as much as a pasenger as Wes.

Wes gets less effective every game yet Dean won't play Kodjia either in support or instead of.

I hope he knows who he wants to buy in January because he doesn't know what his best eleven is.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Pepe Guardiola

It’s Pep... 

But yes going back to your original post,  we do seem to get bullied in there at times, and that isn’t even a size issue. As you’ve said previously, we aren’t aggressive and don’t put up a fight. We make it easy for teams. We’ve also stopped pressing as much, which again gives team plenty of time to play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've said it before, but I am a firm believer in the goal difference as a statistical indicator over a season for final league standings. We are doing rather well in that respect, so I actually think we'll be alright.

I've looked back 10 years and am tempted to go back another 10. Only one team has gone done with a less -20 GD since 2009. Usually the 18th placed team is sitting somewhere around -25. This is the main reason I'm not worried about the drop right now. 

• Like 2

I'd bench McGinn to accommodate Luiz, Marv and Hourihane. All three are better than McGinn, he's slow and weak in possession this was highlighted again in midweek against Chelsea where was consistently beaten for pace and strength.

Needs a rest.

Not going to happen though!

2 hours ago, villianusa said:

I agree to a point, but I don't think the center midfielders are the biggest problem we have to deal with at present. The majority of the goals we have conceded of late have been crosses from out wide and Konza in particular not picking the run of Rashford and Tammy in last two games. He is a good player but a little naive at present and we can't let it continue.

Fullbacks need to get tighter and they need help from the wide players at times. We gave United a free cross for Rashford's goal and Konza stood still and the game changed.

Wesley is working his butt off but his best work is taking place near the half-way line. We need to get our wingers in behind their defense and have him crashing the box. He wins a decent mount in the air, but he is often isolated, This has been a problem for forwards before when we play this system, I'd rather a tighter 4231 against the stronger teams, with a 433 for games we have a greater chance of winning.

Can't disagree......

The goals have come from crosses from the flanks and that problem is two fold as you say.....crosses should be cut out and aerial balls challenged.

my point was before the ball goes out wide, the midfielders just allow the balls to go instead of closing down....they just stand off.

Its is a number of things, but in the main, its not challenging enough or aggressive enough .......all over the team.

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel like Smith's late subs definitely is a factor in us losing so many games late from leading positions.

The problem is those that come on, or likely to come on, are lightweight....Hourihane, Lansbury, Kodjia, Taylor.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s Pep... 

But yes going back to your original post,  we do seem to get bullied in there at times, and that isn’t even a size issue. As you’ve said previously, we aren’t aggressive and don’t put up a fight. We make it easy for teams. We’ve also stopped pressing as much, which again gives team plenty of time to play

Ooops.....typo

I'll bet you thought I meant the Arsenal super star, they bought for a snip.

I say size, but as they say a good big one will beat a good small one most of the time.....Messi is an exception and there are exceptions.....the point is a team struggles with too many....physical muscle does eventually take its toll, over a season.

but yes it's as much about attitude an approach as size.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Dean must have such a headache at the moment

Nakamba plays really well, but we seem to look better when he doesn't play.

We rarely win when Connor doesn't play, but he can be pretty anonymous.

We seem to be better when Luiz plays, but Luiz rarely contributes much in matches when he does play.

Engels and Mings both delivers heroics but both makes costly mistakes.

Konsa makes less mistakes but delivers less heroics.

We are def better when Guilbert and El Ghazi are on the same side of the pitch, Anwar offers more goal threat that Wes and Trez.

McGinn is arguably our second most talented players after Grealish, but has somehow become almost as much as a pasenger as Wes.

Wes gets less effective every game yet Dean won't play Kodjia either in support or instead of.

I hope he knows who he wants to buy in January because he doesn't know what his best eleven is.

I don't think we do either......such is the topsy turvy form as you have eloquently described.

but I come back this....in view of your summary, why are we playing 4-3-3 away from home.?.....some players can't cope on their own.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think we do either......such is the topsy turvy form as you have eloquently described.

but I come back this....in view of your summary, why are we playing 4-3-3 away from home.?.....some players can't cope on their own.

agree, it doesn't seem to make sense. Dean needs to realise Wes isn't Tammy and i don't think he has ever played in this formation week in week out.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â