Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Pre-match interview Smith tells us we are getting to be an experienced PL team.

After the match he says our naivety cost us goals!

And your point is??

'Getting' surely shows we are not their yet and will still suffer naive moments yes?

• Like 3

Where is Dean's plan B,?

The opposition know exactly how we are going to play and we never change it.

Wesley needs a rest as does McGinn, why aren't some of the other players getting game time, Lansbury for instance or Kodja, how can he pose less of a threat than Wesley.

I was puzzled why the board awarded him a new contract a third of the way through the season to be honest.

New league, new players, first time at this level, high expectations and yet after the hardest run of games you could possibly expect we are still outside the bottom three.  

I think he’s doing ok.  The next run of games against lesser teams will give us chance to gather some points.

• Like 2

Needs to think up a plan B for at least some of some games. Subs.....weasly and SJM should have come off on 70mins, but he doesn't seem to trust alternatives. I just worried were going to be knackered and very predictable in the second half of the season.  

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Trezeguet

Fair enough, a sensible answer.  I think the tone generally on this forum and others are over the top at the moment about Wes when there are little alternatives at the moment.  

Trying Trez maybe an option but seems like sticking a square peg in a round hole but it worked spectacularly for Thierry Henry.  

I do feel it’s unfair Wes is being judged, being a new young player, after the hard run of games we just had.  I would like to see how he does after the next six easier games against lesser opposition where he’ll have more chances and easier defences.

I must admit, and I feel dirty even saying it, today was the first time I genuinely questioned Smith as manager here. I love the bloke and there is something beautiful about a Villa fan managing us and doing so well. 

However.

His persistence to play Wesley is killing both him and the team. I just don’t know what the management team are thinking with this. We’d be no worse off with Engels up front. If he is so adamant on picking the bloke, he must also understand that it will cost him his job eventually. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, a sensible answer.  I think the tone generally on this forum and others are over the top at the moment about Wes when there are little alternatives at the moment.  

Trying Trez maybe an option but seems like sticking a square peg in a round hole but it worked spectacularly for Thierry Henry.  

I do feel it’s unfair Wes is being judged, being a new young player, after the hard run of games we just had.  I would like to see how he does after the next six easier games against lesser opposition where he’ll have more chances and easier defences.

What an absolute kop out. Wesleys inability to be able to do any of the footballing basics has nothing to do with who we’re playing. 

Granted, it may be harder to score against the likes of City and Liverpool, but id still expect him to control the ball in these matches. 

If we’re giving free passes to players playing against any of the top 10 sides in this division, we may as well give up now. He should be nowhere near the squad, let alone the team. 

This is like the Hogan thread on steroids. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What an absolute kop out. Wesleys inability to be able to do any of the footballing basics has nothing to do with who we’re playing. 

Granted, it may be harder to score against the likes of City and Liverpool, but id still expect him to control the ball in these matches. 

If we’re giving free passes to players playing against any of the top 10 sides in this division, we may as well give up now. He should be nowhere near the squad, let alone the team. 

This is like the Hogan thread on steroids. 

Tripe!

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.  We need more from him I agree, we don’t have many alternatives but writing him off is just silly

We defend so poorly from front to back. I lost count of the number of times we failed to react to a second ball but then compounded the mistake by not pressuring the man who won the ball.

Our players are also totally unaware of the movement of opposition players. We let them drift into space totally unopposed all game long, often just standing and watching.

Finally we are so poor at defending set pieces. Our players are weak and totally lacking in the ability to clear the ball. At the start of the season I expressed concern about the diminutive stature of all our midfield players. It is killing us at the moment. I would be tempted to try a back three just to try and get some more physical capability on the pitch. Set pieces are still a big part of the English game and we are the worst in the league at defending them.

Dean and JT really need to sort this mess out.

Forgetting the Wesley debate. Which btw I agree he has to be dropped.

However today was the first time I was genuinely disappointed in Smith's tactics, team selection and game management.

1. guilbert had to start, he is a better defender and his pace would have helped massively against the vardy threat.

2. Hourihane has to play our home games (I thought we had finally settled on that) playing luiz and nakamba today set us up to try and get a point in a shut out. But our strength is attacking, we were imho very unlikely to keep it goalless with Leicester so should have had more attacking option on pitch in CH.

3. The Ming's injury was pure amateur hour. He had pulled his hamstring. You get him off immediately and hope we get to play him in some of the Xmas fixtures if lucky. You don't send him back on to try it out FFS. He was immobile, unable to run and get into position. It cost us the goal and most likely has made the injury worse.

It is moments like this the manager has to intervene and get him off there and then. 

I was sat a row from where Ming's went down and even Ming's was shaking his head and telling the medics he needed to come off. Putting him back on the pitch was absolute idiocy

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I must admit, and I feel dirty even saying it, today was the first time I genuinely questioned Smith as manager here. I love the bloke and there is something beautiful about a Villa fan managing us and doing so well. 

However.

His persistence to play Wesley is killing both him and the team. I just don’t know what the management team are thinking with this. We’d be no worse off with Engels up front. If he is so adamant on picking the bloke, he must also understand that it will cost him his job eventually. 

There’s nothing dirty about questioning aspects of his management either in individual games or overall. Nothing at all.

But anyone questioning whether he should or shouldn’t be our Manager, for at least the next 12 months, is, in my opinion, out of their mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

There’s nothing dirty about questioning aspects of his management either in individual games or overall. Nothing at all.

But anyone questioning whether he should or shouldn’t be our Manager, for at least the next 12 months, is, in my opinion, out of their mind. 

To be fair, I agree. I just can’t hide the fact that he annoyed me today.

His persistence to play Wesley is killing him though. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be fair, I agree. I just can’t hide the fact that he annoyed me today.

His persistence to play Wesley is killing him though. 

Again, I’ve no problem with people being annoyed with him - he gets the praise he can get the annoyance.

Personally I don’t share the sentiment in your second sentence, but again, while people keep it to debating his thinking, that’s fine with me. When it’s used to question his competence, I stop listening.

Â