Dean Smith

Demitri_C

22 hours ago, Dave-R said:

People read these forums or have people read them for them whether they be player, Coaches, manager or other staff it does happen and all the negativity is not needed.

Constructive critism is fine but all the BS is just wrong when we all  need to be behind who is in charge and who kicks the ball for us.

Dave, I would think anyone who supports us from Australia of as far as that, needs a medal......we are all frustrated mate.

I would think the ignored penalty at the end, just about puts a top on it........He might as well of saved it with his hands and be done with it, we still might not have got it.....and as for VAR, well yeah.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

If games finished at half-time we'd be on 11 points instead of 4. That suggests to me that we have a big problem with fitness.

or we are having to work too hard in the first halves to compete or stay in it.

These teams we are facing have nous, they let the ball do the work and their positional sense, is more efficient.....I think Norwich and Sheff Utd do it better than us, whether they can keep it up is another matter.

The amount of times I see us get caught on the ball, due to a combination of a lack of options or the nous to spot a runner.....The transition, between the player on the ball and the potential recipient is bitty, sometimes its great, sometimes its poor, we lack consistency and as a result get tired.I think Dean is learning about this league and learning about the capabilities of his players in it......not sure out of his depth is fair.

The only hope we have of staying up is staying together......and the supporters have a huge part to play in that.

Turning on the management or the players right now is totally counter productive.......Dean has to work it out himself.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Mourinho, Allegri, Blanc and Wenger are some of the names who are awaiting their next project. Should Smith be fired I would imagine that our ambitious owners are just that.

As realistic as people asking for Rafa last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

As realistic as people asking for Rafa last season.

I don't really care because I'm not interested in anything outside of how it comes together over the coming months for Smith.

But I will say that I'm not sure the ambitions of our owners and the board will be realised by making what are deemed to be "realistic" targets.

Edens has been ever so close to penultimate glory with the Milwaukee Bucks, and if anyone on that list has any ambition and talent left in them, we should be considered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think subconsciously, the boys were so scared to lose or chuck away the lead - AGAIN-, that they fell back without even realising it.

Which in turn, caused just what they were scared would happen.

Definitely a mentality thing, as in most of the interviews they, as well as Deano acknowledged that was the problem, and no one was instructed to do so!

As a matter of fact they were instructed to do the opposite!

Instinct takes over from Instruction.....its not defiance, its animal instinct.

If someone is waiting outside your cave for the beast you have just killed and brought home.....do you go out hunting for another beast or protect the one you have from the predator?

Unless you play in a team like Liverpool or Man City, where they think they will score at every opportunity.....its natural to defend a lead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skruff said:

Our players runs themselves to the ground. They put in plenty of miles.

However Smiths tactics today  wasn't sustainable for 90 minutes straight. Even versus 10 men. We need to control the tempo more, and take moments to rest with the ball. 

There's a handful of examples from today's match, when we're up 2-1 where there's room to slow down and take a breather. Where there's easy passing options to unmarked men, where we choose the difficult pass and go straight in attack instead. Which either led to the loss off possession or the winger recieved it in a isolated position. 

When our wingers/midfielders bust a gut to win the ball back, then burst into attack only to lose it and bust a gut to win it back again. Over and over, there's no wonder they run out of energy.

correct.....we lose the ball too much.....simples.

12 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

So he has confirmed that Luiz was left out of the squad for tactical reasons. That is a complete and utter shambles and an unforgivable error. 

If we keep Smith then we are almost certainly going to be relegated. This man has only ever talked a good game, constantly recognising the mistakes in his post match but never actually reconciling them. 

His tactical incompetency is undoing all of the hard work everyone else at the club is putting in and makes that £100M we spent a huge waste of money. 

Anything less than a convincing performance against Burnley and he has to walk. We are already stranded. 

I think that is a bit harsh.

I don't agree with Smith on this but hey! he is the manager not me, and it doesn't make me right either.

I think for whatever reason the centre of midfield is the main problem, it is not defended well enough IMO.....I understand Jack and John have to attack, but the wingers are there for that too, if we are over committed to any one department the opposition will exploit it....sure as eggs are eggs, in this league they know a weakness when they see it.

Most of the Errors I have seen this season, I would not directly blame the manager....players do have to fight their corner, you can't keep doubling up, because a player is struggling or goes missing.

I still think the squad is short on quality in certain area of attribute and despite the money laid out, some I am not sure about......Taylor for me despite the better performance is too slow in thought, Elmo is an ok squady, but no not for me.....Many of the midfielders do not possess the qualities to keep ball and dictate the play when challenged...it becomes a hot potato.

Jack and John are fine attacking midfielders for me....Wes is better than some say, still early.....but the business of keeping the ball and frustrating the opposition is in short supply, in the squad.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

I can think of one game this year where we have actually "got lucky".

The Everton match was very even and could, if they had taken their chances ended up the other way.

However our other results could easily have been more positive. There is a lot to be thankful for here we are in the Premier League, we have a squad full of good young up and coming players and a good (youngish) up and coming manager.

Yes yesterday is disappointing and to an extent hard to take. But this time last year we lost at home to Sheff Wednesday and this was soon followed by the awful Preston match and cabbage gate.

If someone had told me then that in a years time ill be disappointed with a tight defeat at the Arsenal after outplaying them for long periods it would have been hard to believe.

The green shoots of recovery are most definitely there :)

They are.....there are still things we are weak at, like ball retention......but overall, we are gradually getting stronger....I am sure of it....need to cut out the stupid individual errors.

We are losing too many games, but they are so close......its not far away from clicking, but we do have to work on our shortfalls......some of the positives are definite improvements, they are just not transferring in to points.

It will come.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Whether we will or won't stay up I don't know, but let's not forget for example, Newcastle were in the relegation zone after 10 games last season with zero wins (2 points I think?), and they survived.

Whether we will who knows, but we can survive if we can improve and click.....if we don't......

6 hours ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Exactly, these are professional footballers...they shouldn't need Smith to tell them to hold the ball and not constantly turn it over and invite more pressure. 

They are young, new to this league, some new to this country and new to each other. I am not advocating lying down and dieing but.......

The winger Pepe who scored the penalty......was transferred for £72 Million.....they have had years of development at the top level.

have a heart...... we nearly bloody did it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we can take ten points from the next four games. If that happens things will be looking a lot better, and might shut one or two up (no offence).

You think we can win or take a point at Man City 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Zatman

12 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

So he has confirmed that Luiz was left out of the squad for tactical reasons. That is a complete and utter shambles and an unforgivable error. 

If we keep Smith then we are almost certainly going to be relegated. This man has only ever talked a good game, constantly recognising the mistakes in his post match but never actually reconciling them. 

His tactical incompetency is undoing all of the hard work everyone else at the club is putting in and makes that £100M we spent a huge waste of money. 

Anything less than a convincing performance against Burnley and he has to walk. We are already stranded. 

We led for two thirds of the match. Had we won I wonder if you'd be inferring that he's tactically inept and needs to go.

If you look at the heat maps for both sides, Elmo was a good substitution to make with the goal lead that we had.

Smith has given us every chance of walking away from that game with our heads held high.

• Haha 1

Â