Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

So one loss at Watford and a week without signings, JT and another coach leaves and according to many:

The owners have lost their faith in Dean and are setting him up to fail
One of the owners is selling up and pocketing the money from Gresford rather than re-invest
Sanson is actually one of the alien lizards from the TV show  'V' and that is why he is 'perpetually injured , lightweight, not suited to the Prem and rubbish'

Happy days

Nah it’s just the vacuum of information filling with the echoes of imagination. It’s what humans do.

edit- I appreciate echoes can’t travel in a vacuum. I kind of got lost in the analogy.

Edited by HKP90

Today’s presser:

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith on the opening day defeat at Watford:

"We didn’t play with enough intensity; the players know that, and I expect them to put that right tomorrow.

"Matt Targett was disappointed [post-Watford]. He got injured against Chelsea last season and was in a boot for six weeks, so he missed the first few weeks of pre-season. He played the following day at Liverpool and did a lot better."

On facing Newcastle: "We have to make sure that we are defensively sound and if we do that, we have attacking players who can score goals.”

“Ollie Watkins, I don’t expect to play, he's not healed as quick as we would like so far. 

"Bertrand Traore suffered a hamstring injury last week so he will be out until just after the international break.”

Edited by HKP90

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Today’s presser:

"We didn’t play with enough intensity; the players know that, and I expect them to put that right tomorrow.

trent tweeted a reply which summed it up. we could've had all the intensity in the world but still would've lost. the system was totally wrong and not sure how i'd feel as players being thrown under the bus like this

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

trent tweeted a reply which summed it up. we could've had all the intensity in the world but still would've lost. the system was totally wrong and not sure how i'd feel as players being thrown under the bus like this

I agree to some degree, but the players also need to take responsibility for that shitshow. They were outfought.

• Like 2

With the reports of Smith wanting a coach with experience of working in Europe I'm surprised there's not more talk of Mellberg or Laursen coming in. Although I think it will maybe more likely be someone with a lower profile, similar to MacPhee who himself has had experience of working in Europe.

1 minute ago, useless said:

With the reports of Smith wanting a coach with experience of working in Europe I'm surprised there's not more talk of Mellberg or Laursen coming in. Although I think it will maybe more likely be someone with a lower profile, similar to MacPhee who himself has had experience of working in Europe.

If they are decent coaches I’d be for that. We’ve lost a defensive coach in JT, and if Mellberg can get across some of his bearded goodness to the players he might be a good replacement. I hope we go for whoever has the best track record in this area.

I don't think we'd bring someone in just because they have a famous name, we apparently want to become more analytical in our approach, which is apparently a side of the game that MacPhee is very strong at, so again wouldn't be surprised that whoever it is has a similar profile to him. Smith had Thomas Frank as an assistant at Brentford, so maybe looking to bring in someone with similar qualities, if it wasn't for the fact that he was offered the Brentford job Frank probably would have come to us as an assistant coach.

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Today’s presser:

"Matt Targett was disappointed [post-Watford]. He got injured against Chelsea last season and was in a boot for six weeks, so he missed the first few weeks of pre-season. He played the following day at Liverpool and did a lot better."

On facing Newcastle: "We have to make sure that we are defensively sound and if we do that, we have attacking players who can score goals.”

“Ollie Watkins, I don’t expect to play, he's not healed as quick as we would like so far. 

"Bertrand Traore suffered a hamstring injury last week so he will be out until just after the international break.”

Intensity wasn't the problem.

Team shape was the problem.

He is absolutely crazy if he thinks he can keep going with a 2 man midfield.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Intensity wasn't the problem.

Team shape was the problem.

He is absolutely crazy if he thinks he can keep going with a 2 man midfield.

Both were the problem.

But you are right about the midfield.

• Like 1

I’ve got a horrible feeling Smith will be out of a job by Xmas. 

His team selection was all wrong last week and I don’t think he has the players to play the way he wants to. 

I really hope I’m wrong, because I love the bloke, but I fear for him without Grealish. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really hope I’m wrong, because I love the bloke, but I fear for him without Grealish. 

He is without Watkins now,so same situation really.

Why was Tarore playing a friendly on sunday ?!

Â