Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do people keep talking about the Leeds game? Yes they played well against them but it was a different team. Riaz, Rodri, Mahrez, Gund, Foden are all better than Ake, Fernandino, Tores, Sterling and a Zinchenko in midfield.  When I saw that team I said to my mate that supports Leeds you’ll never get a better opportunity to get a result against them. 

We wernt great today but we played a much stronger city side than Leeds did. 

are you saying if we had played the same team as Leeds did we wouldn't have lost? Not a loaded question, just asking.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They've just come into form and confidence right before us as well, of course.

Yes the signings of Maitland Niles, Yokusulu and that big guy upfront have really improved them. Still firmly in the bottom 3 though just like Fulham were though so important to make that point before the inevitable impossible to win arguments start up.

Being local DS will really know the importance of this so we need a good performance Sunday as a defeat to local rival can't just be as easily dismissed as defeats to Man. City and Liverpool can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

it was a joke dude, responding to you saying you've said it all once and won't say it again, before saying it again, harmless ribbing

All good but it was good you asked me a different question on the subject because it did seem as kids start or not the conversation for weeks

Just now, VillanousOne said:

are you saying if we had played the same team as Leeds did we wouldn't have lost? Not a loaded question, just asking.

No. We still probably would have lost but it may have been harder for them. 

But I do think if this team that played us today played Leeds they would have beaten them comfortably.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not arguing with that, when we are bad we are really bad, when we are good we are awesome like first half of the season and 15 minutes against Fulham.  I don’t understand it.  I have many reasons why we are like this that has been discussed many times.  We need the summer, we need more quality attack wise because we blunt without Jack.  Ollie looks alone upfront with no service.

ok fair play, so what do we do in the final games of the season, if you don't think we should get the kids involved and I respect your reasoning for that, what can Dean and co do to turn around this form?

Not saying there is a solution, it just feels we need to at least speculate on what Dean 'could try' as it's a forum and that's what us unqualified bunch of arm chair managers do.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

They were Nick. Watch it again. They chased and harried and harassed for 90 minutes. I agree that City could have scored a few but Leeds had 10 men for more than half the game. We are desperate for someone like Phillips. 

Ok we have to agree to disagree.

I agree about Phillips though (and he can bring Raphina and Harrison with him)

• Like 1

I get the Leeds argument but ultimately they're probably one of the worst match ups for Man. City in entire league (along with Man. United) with their unique style.

In the same way we're actually a very difficult match up for Liverpool generally whereas they went to Arsenal recently and won 3-0 playing in second gear.

We also tend to give Chelsea difficult games most seasons but can't get a result at all v Spurs so that's just the way football goes sometimes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we also tend to make teams look a hell of a lot better than they actually are.

Man City weren't great (still decent obviously) against Leeds and were dreadful vs Chelsea in the cup, they play us and they are world class, unplayable.

Spurs were on a run of form that would have got Jose sacked, they play us and win comfortably and Jose gets a brief stay of execution.

Liverpool comedy home record they play us and get right back on track, even if it was a late winning goal they still ultimately deserved the win.

We even gave Sheffield United three points and they haven't got a point since and won't again.

This is last season's form where we make every team look like better than they are and cure any bad form.

Exactly this!! We're a pushover and it's not acceptable. 

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

ok fair play, so what do we do in the final games of the season, if you don't think we should get the kids involved and I respect your reasoning for that, what can Dean and co do to turn around this form?

Not saying there is a solution, it just feels we need to at least speculate on what Dean 'could try' as it's a forum and that's what us unqualified bunch of arm chair managers do.

There’s not that much we can do with the poor form of our players. Maybe try a five at the back and two up top. Be a bit more direct. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if, behind the scenes, Deano is already preparing to get rid of, or replace some of the players who think they are " comfortable " here.

I give Deano stick at times, but I do remember a quote where, he told the players to look at how hard the top teams like City and Liverpool work and press, despite their quality.

I don't think he is necessarily responsible for the mentality of some. of them, but something is off.

Team needs some " glue ", some more leadership and aggression.

It's now up to him, to sign the right characters, and types in the summer, or I just might start to lose faith.

As it will be the definition of insanity to continue without adding different types of players and characters here.

It would mean he doesn't see the obvious problems us, and frankly any neutral footballing person can see with us.

I'm quietly optimistic he will sort us, but the coming season is huge.

I think the coming season will be make or break for Deano.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No. We still probably would have lost but it may have been harder for them. 

But I do think if this team that played us today played Leeds they would have beaten them comfortably.

Leeds is just a nightmare match up for them. 7 of these tonight actually started the away game which was 1-1 and Leeds had 7 shots on target compared to Man. City's two and generally had the better of the game from what I remember.

Man. City struggle v Leeds just like Liverpool struggle v us. We just really struggle to impose ourselves on teams who can rapidly interchange quick 1-2s in midfield and out wide and Man. City probably the best at that in world football.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wouldn't surprise me if, behind the scenes, Deano is already preparing to get rid of, or replace some of the players who think they are " comfortable " here.

I give Deano stick at times, but I do remember a quote where, he told the players to look at how hard the top teams work and press, despite their quality.

I don't think he is necessarily responsible for the mentality of some. of them, but something is off.

It's now up to him, to sign the right characters, and types in the summer, or I just might start to lose faith.

As it will be the definition of insanity to continue without adding different types of players and characters here.

It would mean he doesn't see the obvious problems us, and frankly any neutral footballing person can see with us.

I think the rest of this season will to be honest. We've been in abysmal form for months now and have taken 16 points from the last 16 games, ie relegation form for nearly half a season. Hard to see where the next point is coming from to be honest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I honestly don’t know.  Everybody knows I’m not a big fan of Davis but as I’ve said since the Fulham game, give him a go upfront with Ollie.  Drop Traore because he’s been awful and lazy recently.  Barkley has been poor.  So it’s just the midfielders rotating hoping something clicks because we have no creative outlet without Jack as Traore and Barkley are poor.

The only other thing I can think of (but I don’t want to change the defence) is go 352 bringing in Hause into defence and then freeing up Targett and Cash to bomb down the wings and be our creative players with Ollie and Davis upfront.  Then McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey vying for the three midfield spots.  Do this until Jack is back, if he comes back this season.

This impacts a good defence but we may have to do it to get more creative in, via our wingbacks crossing into two upfront.

Thats all I can think of.  How about you? Excluding using the kids

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I give Deano stick at times, but I do remember a quote where, he told the players to look at how hard the top teams like City and Liverpool work and press, despite their quality.

As per most managers, he’ll have 10 games next season......depending on who is available 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Third best defence in the league from 19 last season shows massive progress has been made. Yes still so much work to do but it wasn’t going to happen in 2 seasons. Have to continue to show patience I’m afraid.  

The defence is better than last season, but I think Martinez has made a huge difference as well. I still feel like there is something missing from our defence, but at the same time I have no idea which of the back 4 I’d not want us to play every game. I do think we are weak at CB when you take out Konsa or Mings though.

Did people expect us to beat Man City? Martinez made one save tonight. Its probably the lowest a team City have played all season

We have nothing in midfield or even options as Sanson was injured and not sure why anybody is surprised it has been our weakness for weeks (17 year old Carney is not the solution and definitely not Conor)

• Like 3

It was a hard game to evaluate tbh. Scoring from kick-off meant we naturally sat back and then we only had a short while at 11 v 10. Was looking like we were slowly growing into the game before Cash **** it up.

24 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The defence is better than last season, but I think Martinez has made a huge difference as well. I still feel like there is something missing from our defence, but at the same time I have no idea which of the back 4 I’d not want us to play every game. I do think we are weak at CB when you take out Konsa or Mings though.

I think the missing piece is experience.  I don’t mean buying an experienced player, I’m talking about about these guys getting experience together and at this level.  Cash has less than 30 games at this level, I’m assuming Emi and Konsa are at about 40ish, Ming’s and Targett less than 100 games at this level I’m guessing. I think a bit more time and experience will make them stronger and better.

• Like 1

Â