Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, danceoftheshamen said:

Another day another predictable defeat...  and that’s exactly the problem. 
just blood the kids for goodness sake as the first choice team is quite obviously not working. 

I'd love to see the kids get some minutes but has to be the right moment. Tonight would have been crippling for their confidence.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

For the starting line up I think he made the right call, he also made the right subs at the right time. You can't manage the stupidity of Cash.

The fact that the players treat the ball like a live grenade needs to be addressed on the training ground.

My thoughts exactly, thought Dean made the right calls today, even not replacing Cash was pretty impressive. Just that ball retention/passing needs major improvement

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

How about off the bench at the very least? 

Yeah I’m ok with that if the situation is right but only if the coaches think they are ready.  Fans wanting them to start just because first teamers are playing poor is not right.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Same conversation as the last couple of weeks.  I’ve said my points a number of times, I’m not going over it again.  If you don’t know my view on the subject, you haven’t been reading this site recently because I along with others have been very vocal on the subject.  

Sorry dude, it’s not aimed at you but I’m not having the same discussion again because it’s gone round in circles.

But no, my view is, it’s not time for the kids for many reasons I’ve gone into detail on.

Fair enough, you are right, I've not been on much lately. I personally think we might as well. The games are largely panning out as expected now, so unless we are resigned to the rest of this season being an academic irrelevance, something has to change and youth is pretty much all he's got left because our first team have lost interest.

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah I’m ok with that if the situation is right but only if the coaches think they are ready.  Fans wanting them to start just because first teamers are playing poor is not right.

Odd, you've never said that before?

Just now, nick76 said:

I think off the bench until the end of the season is an opportune time to assess them. If one somehow does a foden keep him here next season but if not they can be sent on loan to physically develop.

But then again I'm writing this from my sofa and Dean Smith and the rest of the coaching team are at Villa park doing a small debrief. Lol

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Did you watch the match? I dont disagree that leeds were incredibly lucky but in that game they harrassed city at every opportunity and worked much harder than we did tonight

I did and City were off the boil but could’ve scored 4 or 5 easily but didn’t.  Imagine if they been on fire like they were in the first half against us.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I did and City were off the boil but could’ve scored 4 or 5 easily but didn’t.  Imagine if they been on fire like they were in the first half against us.

You are right to a degree Nick but the reason they were on fire partly was down to us not being aggressive in our press. We just let them receive the ball in acres of space and move it on.

I too watched the Leeds game and Leeds were much more aggressive when chasing down possession, even with 10 men against 11. I don’t think you can blame the manager for that. Surely that is lack of intensity from the players. 

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Odd, you've never said that before?

Nobody has ever asked me if they can be on the bench and then maybe come on if the situation is right and the coaches think they are ready.

My view has been consistent, if the coaches don’t think they are ready they shouldn’t play this season.  If the coaches think they are ready to be on the bench I’m more than happy.

I have vehemently argued against those that think Smith is wrong not playing the kids.  I have said that the coaches know best when it comes to the kids compared to fans and that hasn’t changed.

we also tend to make teams look a hell of a lot better than they actually are.

Man City weren't great (still decent obviously) against Leeds and were dreadful vs Chelsea in the cup, they play us and they are world class, unplayable.

Spurs were on a run of form that would have got Jose sacked, they play us and win comfortably and Jose gets a brief stay of execution.

Liverpool comedy home record they play us and get right back on track, even if it was a late winning goal they still ultimately deserved the win.

We even gave Sheffield United three points and they haven't got a point since and won't again.

This is last season's form where we make every team look like better than they are and cure any bad form.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

You are right to a degree Nick but the reason they were on fire partly was down to us not being aggressive in our press. We just let them receive the ball in acres of space and move it on.

I too watched the Leeds game and Leeds were much more aggressive when chasing down possession, even with 10 men against 11. I don’t think you can blame the manager for that. Surely that is lack of intensity from the players. 

Were they more intense? Maybe but very ineffective if they were.  I’m not sure I agree but City lost that game because of City because they could’ve easily scored 4 or 5 and as somebody has already said, Leeds would’ve lost 99 out of 100 games if those stats and game were the same again.

Rightly or wrongly if we continue like this until the end of the season, Dean is going to come under immense pressure. I would not be surprised if he got sacked to be honest. We need some good wins and performances to change perception again.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Won't judge him on tonight as he did actually try to change things at half time after the red card but Cash being an idiot nulified that as there was no belief from the team from that point we could get anything 10 v 10 and it just played out like that.

Needs to get a result Sunday though. One thing to just write off the season now but to just accept defeat against local rival who'll still very likely get relegated simply isn't acceptable and will be getting the owners nervous I expect.

They've just come into form and confidence right before us as well, of course.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nobody has ever asked me if they can be on the bench and then maybe come on if the situation is right and the coaches think they are ready.

My view has been consistent, if the coaches don’t think they are ready they shouldn’t play this season.  If the coaches think they are ready to be on the bench I’m more than happy.

I have vehemently argued against those that think Smith is wrong not playing the kids.  I have said that the coaches know best when it comes to the kids compared to fans and that hasn’t changed.

it was a joke dude, responding to you saying you've said it all once and won't say it again, before saying it again, harmless ribbing

Why do people keep talking about the Leeds game? Yes they played well against them but it was a different team. Riaz, Rodri, Mahrez, Gund, Foden are all better than Ake, Fernandino, Tores, Sterling and a Zinchenko in midfield.  When I saw that team I said to my mate that supports Leeds you’ll never get a better opportunity to get a result against them. 

We wernt great today but we played a much stronger city side than Leeds did. 

Were they more intense? Maybe but very ineffective if they were.  I’m not sure I agree but City lost that game because of City because they could’ve easily scored 4 or 5 and as somebody has already said, Leeds would’ve lost 99 out of 100 games if those stats and game were the same again.

They were Nick. Watch it again. They chased and harried and harassed for 90 minutes. I agree that City could have scored a few but Leeds had 10 men for more than half the game. We are desperate for someone like Phillips. 

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

we also tend to make teams look a hell of a lot better than they actually are.

Man City weren't great (still decent obviously) against Leeds and were dreadful vs Chelsea in the cup, they play us and they are world class, unplayable.

Spurs were on a run of form that would have got Jose sacked, they play us and win comfortably and Jose gets a brief stay of execution.

Liverpool comedy home record they play us and get right back on track, even if it was a late winning goal they still ultimately deserved the win.

We even gave Sheffield United three points and they haven't got a point since and won't again.

This is last season's form where we make every team look like better than they are and cure any bad form.

Not arguing with that, when we are bad we are really bad, when we are good we are awesome like first half of the season and 15 minutes against Fulham.  I don’t understand it.  I have many reasons why we are like this that has been discussed many times.  We need the summer, we need more quality attack wise because we blunt without Jack.  Ollie looks alone upfront with no service.

• Like 1

Â