Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We looked flat after the goal, we gave city to bloody much room to think.

Why are we not going to close opposition down. City knew we'd play out at the back as well and they sent men to match us 1v1. Martinez couldn't kick the ball to anyone who could hold onto it or do anything with it.

The whole performance was a frustrating one, one annoying affair today.

Edited by Dave-R

Manager vs players who's to blame coming up

Smith set us up wrong, the players we have aren't good enough to play that way and City are too good for it to stop them 

The desire from some of them is in the gutter, 2nd to everything

Just now, villalad21 said:

Awful.

We are so boring to watch it's unreal. Can barely string a couple of passes together.

We were today because we couldn't go anywhere or do anything.

Needs another window. Promotion, survival and now progression despite our season drifting away. If someone told us we'd be safe with 10 games left and the season was dead you'd have snapped their hands off.

Lets see who he can get in during the summer, no issues when we have Grealish fit but need other options. Next season he will be under fire if we get too many performances like the last few weeks. 

• Like 1

I think they were just much better than us, as they are most teams in the league.  It’s always shit to lose but i dont think we were that bad.  That’s the hardest game we’ll have from now and until the end of the season. I think we take a bit of heart from it. 

I am not sure Deano is the man to ever get us higher than a mid table finish. He has done a great job so far, but I don’t feel he has the ability to get the best from a team with enough consistency to challenge at the very top. I think he will get next season though, but the expectation will be top 6 challenge. If he doesn’t get there then he will be replaced.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I am not sure Deano is the man to ever get us higher than a mid table finish. He has done a great job so far, but I don’t feel he has the ability to get the best from a team with enough consistency to challenge at the very top. I think he will get next season though, but the expectation will be top 6 challenge. If he doesn’t get there then he will be replaced.

Expectation from who? 

Because that's not my expectation, we are not signing the players to get top 6 this summer, not a chance 

• Like 2

I have been critical of Dean recently, quite rightly in my view, but today was on the players not him. They had lost before they even took to the pitch. We did not stick a glove on them. Really poor. You almost feel that they were relieved not to get spanked despite actually losing. I hate watching that. Absolutely hate it.

I suppose bthe alarming thing is, why the performances have dipped so much, with or without Grealish. We were certainly very capable at the beginning of the season. 

How much of a rebuild does Deano have to do in the summer to get back to that level?

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Expectation from who? 

Because that's not my expectation, we are not signing the players to get top 6 this summer, not a chance 

The board, they are the ones who hire and fire. I think they will spend again in the summer, and will probably not be happy with another 10-12th place finish next season. They have stated their aim to challenge at the top end, and they aren’t going to wait forever for results when they have spent millions.

If we keep on losing to the end of the season and carry that into start of next season he may be gone sooner than we think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

I suppose bthe alarming thing is, why the performances have dipped so much, with or without Grealish. We were certainly very capable at the beginning of the season. 

How much of a rebuild does Deano have to do in the summer to get back to that level?

Starting 11 wise keep the back 5, replace everyone else but Grealish and Watkins and definitely add another striker too.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

I know it was Man City but this 0 cutting edge and inability to pass the ball hasn't been limited to just this game. Its just City exploited it to the most dramatic effect.

Our play has resembled nothing of how we played at the start of the season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

The board, they are the ones who hire and fire. I think they will spend again in the summer, and will probably not be happy with another 10-12th place finish next season. They have stated their aim to challenge at the top end, and they aren’t going to wait forever for results when they have spent millions.

If we keep on losing to the end of the season and carry that into start of next season he may be gone sooner than we think.

I think the board will be sensible enough to see it is as a marathon and not a sprint, judge him based on the tools that he has, this squad is not a top 10 squad, 3 or 4 really good signings in the summer won't make it a top 6 squad 

Look at who currently isn't in the top 6, Liverpool, Everton, arsenal, our squad is nowhere near theirs

He'll see the season out comfortably any hint of pressure is daft, we're suffering based on a good start meaning some of the players have downed tools cos they think the job is done, corona which none of us know the impact of but the owners will and Grealish being injured 

If we were inconsistent this season nonone would bat an eyelid but we're not, we've been great and then shit, the end result is still the same though and it's good enough based on the quality of the squad 

Edited by villa4europe

And the thing is, I don't even think its the loss of Grealish that's causing it. The whole team played great at the start of the season, then we went into a dip where  it was onlyGrealish's brilliance that covered for the rest of the team's deficiencies. Once he was out there was nothing left. Even in the couple of games we've won in this entire stretch have been far for convincing. You could never convince me this is the same team that were destroying teams 3-0 and even the reigning champions 7-2 if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Won't judge him on tonight as he did actually try to change things at half time after the red card but Cash being an idiot nulified that as there was no belief from the team from that point we could get anything 10 v 10 and it just played out like that.

Needs to get a result Sunday though. One thing to just write off the season now but to just accept defeat against local rival who'll still very likely get relegated simply isn't acceptable and will be getting the owners nervous I expect.

Â