Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, TRO said:

Not exactly intent on stretching your expectations are you.

Imagine Ron Saunders back then saying.....I just want to be "Kings of the Midlands"🙄

But a step in the right direction after the last five years.  

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Imagine Ron Saunders back then saying.....I just want to be "Kings of the Midlands"🙄

At least he's being realistic. You were lucky enough to see us win a league title and European cup - it's not happening again in your lifetime, just accept it. 

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

First of all, I want us to start looking like a football team. That's #1 priority.

The poster said Smith is definitely staying and he'll only leave if we're in a relegation battle next Christmas. I think that's likely, but also the wrong move for everyone. 

I'd be interested in a season review with some real answers. What's happened with Jack for example?

We won't get any answers on covid I don't think. Players values will take a hit across the board if there's suddenly a risk they're suffering long-term affects of a condition that's wrecked the world. Both Villa and the players don't want that. I'm just interested as that's clearly the exact point our season went from brilliant to a shambles.

It's the players form that has gone off a cliff. I very much doubt Smith changed everything behind the scenes and we suddenly can't pass a ball. However it's easier to replace a head coach than it is about 7 first team players.

Thanks, I understand now.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Whatever.

Glib reply.  Do you feel that after being relegated and then lower mid table of the Championship that one of the steps back to the top end would be back to Kings of the Midlands?

To get promoted, to then not get rerelegated, aim for mid table, be better than all our local rivals, then we can start aiming for Europe and more.  It’s not an overnight thing...surely you can see steps of progression being a positive thing?

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Glib reply.  Do you feel that after being relegated and then lower mid table of the Championship that one of the steps back to the top end would be back to Kings of the Midlands?

To get promoted, to then not get rerelegated, aim for mid table, be better than all our local rivals, then we can start aiming for Europe and more.  It’s not an overnight thing...surely you can see steps of progression being a positive thing?

If we were Kings of the Midlands we would be 3rd at the moment, its a bloody good achievement

• Like 2

Providing we keep progressing as a football club whilst Smith is in charge then he's all good with me. Is he perfect? No. Is he getting the most out of this squad? Probably not. But there's a lot of managers out there who wouldn't be doing as good of a job than Smith is.

I think until we have a season where we regress then there's no complaints from me. Once we do regress, then questions need to be asked imo. 

• Like 2

Just now, lexicon said:

At least he's being realistic. You were lucky enough to see us win a league title and European cup - it's not happening again in your lifetime, just accept it. 

I was lucky enough to be in the ground for both Trophies.....and it was a priviledge to see the team growing year on year.....It was a delight to see the pugnacious and contentious nature, that side was built around....we was no easy pushover on the ball.

Right now, I have the overwhelming aspirations to just see us keep the ball better......such an ungrateful so and so aren't I.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was lucky enough to be in the ground for both Trophies.....and it was a priviledge to see the team growing year on year.....It was a delight to see the pugnacious and contentious nature, that side was built around....we was no easy pushover on the ball.

Right now, I have the overwhelming aspirations to just see us keep the ball better......such an ungrateful so and so aren't I.

Two years ago would you have been happy to accept that you were 11th in the PL with a game in hand to go 9th and still be unhappy with our current league position?  Considering where we were two years ago I would’ve accepted that gladly, wouldn’t you?

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Two years ago would you have been happy to accept that you were 11th in the PL with a game in hand to go 9th and still be unhappy with our current league position?  Considering where we were two years ago I would’ve accepted that gladly, wouldn’t you?

this day 2 years ago we played Millwall in the Championship. Last night we played Man City in the Premier League

Its a huge turnaround

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Imagine Ron Saunders back then saying.....I just want to be "Kings of the Midlands"🙃

it's been SEVEN YEARS since we were....

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The league table bothers me not, so far....and Kings of the midlands bothers me even less.....Wolves Champions and us second, playing believeable football, would fill me with more glee....obviously us champions would be better, just speaking hypothetically.

Its the play itself, I find so insipid, right now.....its a shadow of the awe inspiring offerings of early season.......even that slick goal of ours, had me entrenched in what was coming after, and true enough, it happened.....If you stand off to the degree we do, in most games, not just that one, it's almost inevitable, what the outcome will be.

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not playing like we are right now, thats for sure.

as for accepting it.....never, that's defeatism, it's not in my DNA.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Preferred when Ken Dodd was in charge, we were a real rambunctious side in those days.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its the play itself, I find so insipid, right now.....its a shadow of the awe inspiring offerings of early season.......even that slick goal of ours, had me entrenched in what was coming after, and true enough, it happened.....If you stand off to the degree we do, in most games, not just that one, it's almost inevitable, what the outcome will be.

Assuming Smith hasn’t changed anything, then it has to be down to form, they are the same players.  Smith hasn’t suddenly changed his way of playing.  We are just struggling with form, energy and confidence at the moment and that makes players more subconsciously hesitant.  One point that highlighted for me yesterday was Davis, he stopped and then restarted after that one ball yesterday close to the throw line but Man City did and thus got the ball.

Smith does have to fix it, the players need to fix it but we know it’s there because as you say we’ve seen it in the first half of season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well last season at VP we played Man City and lost 6-1. 

We did have 1% better possession in that game though, so did you prefer it? 

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well last season at VP we played Man City and lost 6-1. 

We did have 1% better possession in that game though, so did you prefer it? 

You have an amazing capacity, for missing the point, on a fairly regular basis.

Â