Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i think the only way we see barry, kessler etc this season is if our league position mathematically cannot change on the last game or 2 of the season. as long as we have league positions to play for we will field our strongest team

barry looks to have something about him for sure, but theres nothing of the lad. watching yesterday's rout, they technically were great...but they still looked like kids. i didn't really see any that remotely had the physique that indicated they were ready to play PL football

You make the most crucial point.....they have to be physically ready, to stave off challenges, to take them out.

Edited by TRO

Just was watching the U23 game and was wondering how many first team managers go to most, if not all of the youth team games and like Dean was after the game -- talking to the players after the match while they walked off... feel like that would be something that would be pretty helpful for the young guns

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Just was watching the U23 game and was wondering how many first team managers go to most, if not all of the youth team games and like Dean was after the game -- talking to the players after the match while they walked off... feel like that would be something that would be pretty helpful for the young guns

This won’t answer your question but I used to go to all the reserve games (well before Smiths reign)and if I could get to the lower level games I would and we probably spent the first 10 minutes more of who was there than the actual game.  Whoever the manager was some times was there or assistant manager but we saw other top managers once in a while as well and always drew gossip of which one of our kids they were after. It was interesting to see top managers scouting lower levels or maybe they were there at the club for another reason and just thought they’d watch a bit of footie....who knows! Sorry, just anecdotal story that popped in my head on the subject.

• Like 2

Hopefully DS can get us back to winning ways on Wednesday but then we need to follow that up with another good result against Albion. Four points from the next two would be good whichever way they come. Time to get this season rocking again.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Hopefully DS can get us back to winning ways on Wednesday but then we need to follow that up with another good result against Albion. Four points from the next two would be good whichever way they come. Time to get this season rocking again.

I think weds is a right off, just hope we don't get humiliated so we have something left in the tank to defeat west brom

43 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think weds is a right off, just hope we don't get humiliated so we have something left in the tank to defeat west brom

Not so sure. Maybe as good time as ever time to play them this season, losing to Leeds and in the FA cup and now this whole super league distraction plus them maybe slightly looking over their shoulders with Man U creeping up. Could snatch a point. Or a win. No other season I’ve felt more comfortable with us playing the ‘big greedy 6’ this season than most of the other seasons in my 35 year old history.

47 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Not so sure. Maybe as good time as ever time to play them this season, losing to Leeds and in the FA cup and now this whole super league distraction plus them maybe slightly looking over their shoulders with Man U creeping up. Could snatch a point. Or a win. No other season I’ve felt more comfortable with us playing the ‘big greedy 6’ this season than most of the other seasons in my 35 year old history.

They also have a cup final next weekend and Champions League a few days after

8 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Very true, and as mentioned above the Champions league also a factor.

Just a shame we don't have our best player for it, otherwise I would actually be reasonably confident myself. Got to see what city turns up as i dont think we can beat them on merit without Jack, if they decide to show up. 

Edited by MrBlack

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Very true, and as mentioned above the Champions league also a factor.

Just a shame we don't have our best player for it, otherwise I would actually be reasonably confident myself. Got to see what city turns up as i dont think we can beat them on merit without Jack, if they decide to show up. 

Yeah another factor. Shame about Jack, but is he definitely ruled out? They have KDB definitely out. Which is a good thing for us but still plenty of quality, they do like to rotate lots which is a nightmare for my fantasy football team. Hope smith can come up with some kinda tactical plan for this one.

2 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yeah another factor. Shame about Jack, but is he definitely ruled out? They have KDB definitely out. Which is a good thing for us but still plenty of quality, they do like to rotate lots which is a nightmare for my fantasy football team. Hope smith can come up with some kinda tactical plan for this one.

Unless we can sort out our diabolical passing and have an actual game plan I don't hold out much hope. And I'm usually one of the optimistic ones! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, birdman said:

Unless we can sort out our diabolical passing and have an actual game plan I don't hold out much hope. And I'm usually one of the optimistic ones! 

This.

We've played a poor spurs side and Liverpool on a ridiculous home losing streak and we've still been beaten comfortably.

We might put in a better performance but as ever with teams on poor form, we are usually the ones to give them a morale boosting win.

Without Grealish it's hard to see how we can get results against the big teams, or any teams for that matter.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

This.

We've played a poor spurs side and Liverpool on a ridiculous home losing streak and we've still been beaten comfortably.

We might put in a better performance but as ever with teams on poor form, we are usually the ones to give them a morale boosting win.

Without Grealish it's hard to see how we can get results against the big teams, or any teams for that matter.

Are you serious? We hit the woodwork at 1-1 against Liverpool and they scored the winner in the 94th minute. Spurs we were flat but they got a penalty that was dubious. We are definitely able to get results against the so called scummy six this year. We’ve comfortably beating Liverpool, Arsenal x2 drawn with Chelsea. We haven’t been embarrassed in any game. Smith needs credit for stopping the rot against these teams when we used to roll over and was a guaranteed loss.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

We hit the woodwork at 1-1 against Liverpool and they scored the winner in the 94th minute. Spurs we were flat but they got a penalty that was dubious. We are definitely able to get results against the so called scummy six this year. We’ve comfortably beating Liverpool, Arsenal x2 drawn with Chelsea. We haven’t been embarrassed in any game. Smith needs credit for stopping the rot against these teams when we used to roll over and was a guaranteed loss.

Top post. I am old enough to remember when we got walked over by just about everyone in the premier league, with or without Jack Grealish. Like ye olde times of .....last season. This season we are competitive in almost all our games. I am delighted. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Are you serious? We hit the woodwork at 1-1 against Liverpool and they scored the winner in the 94th minute. Spurs we were flat but they got a penalty that was dubious. We are definitely able to get results against the so called scummy six this year. We’ve comfortably beating Liverpool, Arsenal x2 drawn with Chelsea. We haven’t been embarrassed in any game. Smith needs credit for stopping the rot against these teams when we used to roll over and was a guaranteed loss.

Very serious and I disagree.

With Grealish our last game Vs City we put in a heroic defensive display but offered little to no attacking threat and proved you can't defend for 90mins. Our luck against 'most' of the top teams hasn't changed, but we have definitely competed a lot better and got some superb results. With Grealish I would certainly think there was a chance to get something against City, without, pretty damn unlikely.

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Top post. I am old enough to remember when we got walked over by just about everyone in the premier league, with or without Jack Grealish. Like ye olde times of .....last season. This season we are competitive in almost all our games. I am delighted. 

This is true that regardless of our recent struggles we are still difficult to beat and we are safe and we have improved from last season. What gets me though is because our midfield have forgotten how to pass properly we seem in constant peril of dispossession, thats if we haven't already given it away with a thoughtless hoof. We have played teams recently who haven't been great themselves so I'm just concerned if  Man City turn up we'll get steamrollered unless we can keep hold of the ball a bit. I will try and keep the faith though! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Smith is the bookies favourite  to replace Southgate should he get sacked after a Euro disaster,  I'm worried we may lose him 😆

Smith's too good/ambitious to be a national team manager - it's a gig for lower level managers these days

Â