Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They played with 10 men.

Did you watch them dominate Liverpool for large parts of the second half without steir star man?

Leeds have more urgency, aggression and work rate than we do and that's why they are where they are.

Bielsa is getting a lot out of crap players. Some of us wished Smith could do the same.

So Bielsa is getting so much from mediocre players and Smith is not. Ill look at the table and I expect Leeds to be 20 points ahead with your analysis

• Like 2

Leeds have averaged less points per game than we have, and have a worse goal difference by ten goals. Of all teams to be envious of they're not the ones. They've had a couple of good results, but they're just as likely to to then go and get beat in easier games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They played with 10 men.

Did you watch them dominate Liverpool for large parts of the second half without steir star man?

Leeds have more urgency, aggression and work rate than we do and that's why they are where they are.

Bielsa is getting a lot out of crap players. Some of us wished Smith could do the same.

Leeds are finishing the season stronger. It should be then running out of steam not us. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Leeds are finishing the season stronger. It should be then running out of steam not us. 

They have Man Utd, Brighton, Spurs, Burnley, Saints and West Brom left to play.

Can see them getting at least 9 points from that.

We'll do well to finish above them.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

They have Man Utd, Brighton, Spurs, Burnley, Saints and West Brom left to play.

Can see them getting at least 9 points from that.

We'll do well to finish above them.

We wont finish ahead of them. 

Just now, Zatman said:

I dont understand the obsession with finishing over Leeds except for the Leeds fan constantly in this thread

LEEDS ARE NOT OUR RIVALS

They’ll get really hurt if you keep saying that.

We have every chance of finishing above them, you can't look at their fixtures and judge how they'll do, they're just as likely to get beat by West Brom and Brighton as beat them. Also for teams like us and them form is temporary, something that many fail to grasp because they can't the see the jugnle for the forest, but they're probably to go on a bad run, and we're due to improve.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand the obsession with finishing over Leeds except for the Leeds fan constantly in this thread

LEEDS ARE NOT OUR RIVALS

It’s bizarre!  Leeds are just another team in the league but the constant referring to a team that has been in the wilderness for ages with a one trick coach whose having a good season is bizarre.  

Good on them for having a good season, see how they do second season.  I couldn’t give a toss but we keep having to have comparison conversations because one person is obsessed with them and talks as if they are a top four team or more and we that we consider them rivals.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

All gone tits up since the new year basically. It’s a bit of a shame as it’s possibly one of those what ifs but as I’ve said time and time again now, whatever happens I’m fine with this season. I really don’t care if any certain teams finish above us, we’ve had no relegation worries and whether you like it or not that is a big step forward for us considering the quite frankly embarrassment we’ve been in the Premier League over the years. 

Get this season over with, get to the summer to recruit that bit more quality and we go again next season. If next season things go wrong only then I’ll possibly start to question Smith. 

i think this is a balanced and fair assessment, im not going to lie, i am really not impressed by our form over the last 18 games (58% of the season so far), but our first 13 games were very impressive (unrealistically so tbh).

I think part of the disappointment was the out of this world form early on that maybe raised our/my hopes a little too much, however the last 18 games have been very poor and are below what i would have expected on balance over a season.

I agree that i will give Smith the benefit of the doubt for this season, personally top 10 would have been a good season, 11th to 12th ok, and 13th or lower a failure (on balance), but a success in the sense we didnt end up in a relegation dog fight (as thats always a success considering the last 20 years.....)

If we invest another 100m + in the summer, and continue to show our current form, then i think it will be fair to ask some serious questions, wrongly or rightly, i expect a nailed on top 10 finish next season if we do invest substantially in the summer. (and keep our current key players).

the last 18 games have been really poor:

Won - 5, Drawn - 4, Lost - 9

Average Points per Game - 1.05

Equated to a full season - 39-40 points

Thats relegation dogfight form.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If leeds arent our rivals then who are?

Wolves, West Brom thats it maybe Spurs and Everton were on a competitive level 10 years ago

Artificial rivalries like Leeds and Newcastle are pathetic. Only thing i have against Newcastle is that excuse of a manager 

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If leeds arent our rivals then who are?

You don’t become a rival based on one season.  If they repeat it you can then start to argue it if we are in the same positions.  We are competing for the same position at the moment but we aren’t rivals at the moment.

I say we want to finish above Leeds because they're currently the team between us and a top half finish, not because there's something inherently special about finishing above them. It's not just Leeds would also be nice to finish above Wolves and Arsenal, and any other teams around us whilst it's mathematically possible.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wolves, West Brom thats it maybe Spurs and Everton were on a competitive level 10 years ago

Artificial rivalries like Leeds and Newcastle are pathetic. Only thing i have against Newcastle is that excuse of a manager 

I suppose it's down to personal take on rivalry.

A lot of people would have Blues down as our main rivals, but I'd have that as a local derby. I think theres a huge gap between local derbies and rivalries, and it often merges. Also are mainly looking at this from the perspective of the players, as that's different to the fans. Fans angle is more geography based. Players are surely looking at teams in and around us as to who they want to drop points.

I think rivalry can change year to year, obviously over 5 years or more it becomes a deeper rivalry. I'd have Wolves up there for sure as that ticks both boxes.

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

LEEDS ARE NOT OUR RIVALS

you answered your own post. finishing above them would really annoy villalad, so it's important that we do so

• Like 2

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

I suppose it's down to personal take on rivalry.

A lot of people would have Blues down as our main rivals, but I'd have that as a local derby. I think theres a huge gap between local derbies and rivalries, and it often merges. Also are mainly looking at this from the perspective of the players, as that's different to the fans. Fans angle is more geography based. Players are surely looking at teams in and around us as to who they want to drop points.

I think rivalry can change year to year, obviously over 5 years or more it becomes a deeper rivalry. I'd have Wolves up there for sure as that ticks both boxes.

I thought you meant currently in the league, we probably will never plsy blues again 😂

But Yeah i agree about 5 yesr thing, its just the twitter rivalry that is so fake. Some of our players bought into it for the 1st game with Leeds mainly Mings and they smashed us 

• Like 1

think it's more important we finish above wolves. be nice to say we're kings of the midlands again.

with their run in, we need to start picking up points

Â