Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Who he keeps picking and won't change the formation to include these angry players as you say

The problem is that he doesn't have a great deal to pick from

Trez came on, looked fired up, put a shift in and scored 2 goals winning us the match 

When he starts next weekend how bad do you think he will be? 

Davies should get the nod though if grealish is out

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Stick with the hungry / angry players

Trez is shit but at least looked like a man playing for something

You can blame Smith all you want but we have a shocking number of passengers

I am glad I gave the usual three culprits if Ghazi, Trez and Davis stick before the game, two at least showed up when they were brought on.

I may make this a ritual with our crap players from now on.

• Like 1

Anybody got issues with Smith subs and timing today?

Yes you can have many other issues with today's performance but I'm assuming nobody has issues with subs today?

troll fraud GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The thing is dave people saying this squad isnt good enough - well they showed they are good enough as they won the match.

Also this is smiths team no one elses. If its not good enough its on smith

and Smith won!!!!

Super, Super Dean, Super, Super Dean

Celebrate World Cup GIF by FIFA

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yes you can have many other issues with today's performance but I'm assuming nobody has issues with subs today?

troll fraud GIF

The irony that Davis was a huge part of changing the game! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The thing is dave people saying this squad isnt good enough - well they showed they are good enough as they won the match.

Also this is smiths team no one elses. If its not good enough its on smith

You are right but we do have to address the elephant in the room that before we struck our goal, system changed and players were took off, we had nothing from our first eleven.

We have to change this in the summer, we need more firepower I think from the Wings and midfield, creativity and that willingness like Trezegeut showed to go grab that first goal and not stop till the game is won.

I think were all in agreement that some players do need to be moved on and we need to spend big on the right type of player.

I for one by ten minutes into second half were begging for a Christian Erikson type of player for the summer, obviously younger but you get where I'm coming from he could smash a ball home from anywhere in, out and around the box when least expected.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

troll fraud GIF

Yes the subs were not made sooner 🤣🤣🤣🤭

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The problem is that he doesn't have a great deal to pick from

Trez came on, looked fired up, put a shift in and scored 2 goals winning us the match 

When he starts next weekend how bad do you think he will be? 

Davies should get the nod though if grealish is out

That's the thing Trez will likely be very poor next game and same with Davis, same with Traore........I sometimes feel sorry for Smith and co because they dont know what player they are getting that day.  Today they deserve to start next game but you know we wont see that next game but we probably have to give them a chance if Jack is out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Keinan Davis was a huge part on why we came back.

He is bullying defenders. We don't have many of those and need more of them.

Our team is way too soft. Need stronger characters. 

Lot to do in the summer.

Dean Smith was a huge part on why we came back, can you at least admit that?

I've done my part saving Davis was a huge part, can you say Smith was as well?  I wait for your half hearted and caveated response if you respond at all.

I bet you are depressed we are back in the top half of the table arent you?  You auto post from yesterday....hmmmm!!!😂

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Dean Smith was a huge part on why we came back, can you at least admit that?

I've done my part saving Davis was a huge part, can you say Smith was as well?  I wait for your half hearted and caveated response if you respond at all.

I bet you are depressed we are back in the top half of the table arent you?  You auto post from yesterday....hmmmm!!!😂

You are right...

The saying of the toolmaster and his tools comes to mind, you can't have one without the other, they just don't work do they??

• Like 1

Guarantee Dean could start the next match with the team that ended this one, and we'd be terrible. And he would get slated for picking that team.

We are limited without Jack, and our starting 11 is easily countered without him, whoever that starting 11 is.  But over the course of 90 minutes,  we have better options than Fulham, and eventually our better options will come to fruition. 

Dean did what he could today, with our limited personnel  and it worked. Against much better opposition it wouldn't have.

Without Jack, we are a mid table team at best (which to be clear is a massive improvement on last season and at this stage of our reinvention no bad thing!!!). With him we could be pushing for Europe.

• Like 1

Have to hope this last 15 minutes can spark us off again.

Next two are very tough but after that I'd still be looking at getting points from majority of what we have left.

Amazing what a goal can do for a team's confidence. First 70 minutes were all the issues of last 6 weeks and by the end of the game we were knocking it around aswell as we were doing September-December.

Has Dean Smith given me good memories two seasons ago?

Was I happy that we stayed up last season, even though I expected to go down?

Has Dean Smith giving me more good times this season than I have experienced with a Villa team in the last ten years?

Is 9th place with 9 matches to go a better table position than the 14th to 16th place I was hoping for this season?

The answer to all those questions and the progress I have seen since he came to Aston Villa has give me the feeling that I am happy with Dean Smith as a manager. I am also quite sure that a new manager would be a disaster for our club. Let's just see our last managers:

Steve Bruce

Roberto Di Matteo

Remi Garde

Tim Sherwood

Paul Lambert

Alex McLeish

What are the chances that our club will get an instant success with a new manager, seeing how we have done every time we changed the manager?

Edited by DeepDish
  • Like 1

The one thing that this game has shown me is that we need to play 20 yards closer to the opposing goal. When we box teams in we are very good and seem to dominate proceedings especially against those below us. 

• Like 1

Like this very much. It's been a bit of a rotten spell for us, today wasn't exactly good by any means for large parts and not while I thought this was the case anyway but it's good to see the bond still strong in the team. 

Edited by Farlz

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

At last !! He did turn it around against spurs sheff utd Burnley brighton didnt he?

First win he has managed all season from a losing position so i suggest not to gloat 🙂

Whereas I'm guessing you were completely restrained with any criticisms when we lost those games?

Seems weird people are allowed to slate Dean when we lose (or win, but the performance is allegedly not good enough) but those who like him are not allowed to celebrate his success when we do win.

I think the fact we were able to lift it so much near the end shows that certain players aren’t giving as much as they are able to in my opinion.  We are much better than the last few weeks suggest: Jack or no Jack. Hard to pin point what the issue is. Maybe it’s mental fatigue?  Maybe some complacency has crept in now we’re safe?   

Â