Dean Smith

Demitri_C

In my opinion: Smith's doing a great job.

• Great summer signings.
  • Players are generally well coached, improving and increasing in value - actually if you are the owners or CEO this is a key point
  • Club has improved its playing performances enormously from last year and we are currently on course for a league table position most fans would have bitten your hand off for before a ball was kicked at the start of the season.

Have we just been through a phase of playing very poorly? - yes

Are there some mitigating circumstances? - possibly

It seems to have come after the COVID outbreak which we know did affect a large number of our first team squad. Possibly it affected some of the players in what is by necessity a limited squad (remember the squad he inherited?). The amount of games we had to play in that time meant that there was very little chance of rectifying some of the issues which appeared. We have been missing our best player for a few games now. They clearly expected Wesley to be back before now when he was included in the squad submitted to the Premier league after each transfer window.

Can some blame be left at Smith's door? - of course

but we appointed a manager with no premier league experience. He like much of the team is learning.

On the plus side: He has however, won promotion, got to a cup final, avoided relegation and established the team as a premier league team. Spent large sums to completely renew the playing personnel (which had to be done due to the previous ownership and early promotion) however for the most part players have got better since Smith took over which is the first time for many years which we can say that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t feel like it mate to be honest.

I am nick believe me its just the dismissing of thw last few weeks and the poor 70 minutes.

Yes we got the win which is welcome but we need to try carry that on.

Although i accept our next two are liverpool and city so you cant really blame smith on the results as both are a lot better than us

Dean Smith changed tactics which helped us win. He's learning on the job. He pushed us up by 20/25 yards which made a huge difference. He also bought on players that bought more energy than the ones that went off. Can't argue with that.

We weren't outplayed before that but we weren't the better team either. However, in the last 20 we were definitively the better team. He made changes which changed the game. Fair play I say. We also have the youngest squad. They're going to be inconsistent. 

Edited by Sulberto21

Smith was getting a fair bit of stick in the match thread but I'm not ready to lay it all at his feet now. 

I have concerns about a lot of our players and thing we've not recruited well on forward players. 

A lot of people said our players ate better than this and it's Smiths fault but what I saw a lot of today, and have seen a lot of in recent weeks is:

Players failing to control the ball

Lazy passes 

Misdirected passes. 

Lay offs consistently falling short. 

Terrible decision making

Failing to play simple forward passes and instead turning away

Hopefully punts forward

Consistently running straight into defenders

Being easily bullied off the ball. 

Poor crossing. 

Poor shooting. 

Yes there is a big argument that the coaching might be awry but a lot of it to me just looked like poor players. It's hard to believe they are instructed to do these things.  I am not at all confident we've recruited well in midfield and forward positions. 

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dean Smith was a huge part on why we came back, can you at least admit that?

Yes.

Smith was excellent today.

Having the ability to change games with subs and tactical changes is what seperates top class managers to average ones. We need to see more of this. Having the mentality to come back from losing positions is crucial for any successful football clubs.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Criticise the tactics or the substitutions as much as you like but there is no argument that Smith is an excellent man manager who improves his players and they love him for it. 

There is a real positive buzz in the dressing room and that is definitely worth a lot. Probably the key to players like Konsa and Grealish signing new deals instead of looking to progress elsewhere. 

I think it’s fine to critique what appears to have been a mostly poor performance that resulted in a win.

But I’d expect the same consideration for a good performance that didn’t result in a victory, like one or two of the games from earlier in the season.

I’ve had a quick look back in this thread at such a game (I chose the first West Ham, but there were other examples I’m sure) and, well you probably can guess how it reads....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's true, but I think the game has moved on in the decade since O'Neill. The Premier league's riches now mean you've got to be amongst the best 15 clubs in the world in order to finish seventh here - getting into the top six is becoming incredibly difficult, it's not guaranteed for Spurs, Arsenal or even Liverpool. It's a helluva league. 

I don't mean that as a knock on O'Neill's achievement, but I think it's a whole lot more difficult now.

i dont think i agree, the top 6 maybe dominated by big names but im not convinced the overall quality is really there. Arsenal have been a top 6 club in recent years but have they really been full of quality. I think the points total for 6th is largely unchanged, last year it took just 59 points.

Yes well done today for finding a way to impact a result which was rapidly going the other way!  I think with Trez this is the main threat he poses... coming on late with bags of energy and a determination to prove himself... That must be daunting for the opposing defenders. It's when he starts games that he seems so much less effective.

Keinan did well to pick their players pocket too and finally have an end product (assist) too! Well done Keinan!

It was good to see Dean finally make a big change and call it right when losing the game too.

All round a vital win for confidence heading into the next two mammoth fixtures.

Imagine a 7th home defeat for Liverpool to back up our 7 goals earlier in the season! I can see the headlines now "Villa in 7th heaven"". Make it so Villa :) 

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s fine to critique what appears to have been a mostly poor performance that resulted in a win.

But I’d expect the same consideration for a good performance that didn’t result in a victory, like one or two of the games from earlier in the season.

I’ve had a quick look back in this thread at such a game (I chose the first West Ham, but there were other examples I’m sure) and, well you probably can guess how it reads....

Knew I'd run out of likes too soon. 

I think the point you make speaks volumes. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Haha 1

Â