Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We won yesterday and that's the main thing.

But ultimately we were poor for nearly 80 mins of that game, didn't register a shot on target until the 71st minute or something like that, and Smith only made the subs when he was forced to. Fulham also collapsed defensively and generously allowed us to come back into the game by retreating when they were 1-0 up. 

If it had stayed at 1-0, the reaction would have been completely different. Because we ended up winning, it's an opportunity now to have a dig at fans who were criticising the manager during the game. It shouldn't be, because for most of the game we were absolutely awful again. 

Dean may have got his subs right but it was a throw of the dice when we were already 1-0 down (we had been playing poorly for a long time before that) - ultimately it paid off and that's a relief, because that's one of the few winnable games we have left this season and for me we really had to win yesterday. It's also the first time this season we've come from behind to win so that's good for confidence.

I'm still not convinced by the manager despite the result yesterday and this mysterious Jack Grealish injury and the comments made about it ("99% sure he'll make the Fulham game") is not making my feelings for him any better (whether he was injured in training on Saturday or not, I don't know, I'm not convinced that's the truth), but I'm happy we won a game of football again. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What is wrong with wanting a big name?

I don't get this. They have a big name for a reason. They are talented managers.

Because managers are capable of declining just like players 

Rafa is done at this level but maintains his reputation

And like I said I think a big name comes with an overhaul of a lot of what the club has worked hard to put in place 

And pigeon holing a lot here I think our manager for the next 3 years has the really important task of bringing through our excellent looking youth team which big name managers aren't great at doing, they want big name players and protect their own interests rather than develop anything 

Edit - and that's all before I say you're talking about replacing a manager who is doing perfectly fine just so that we can compete at a level that we're not at yet! 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Interesting quotes from DS re 2 up top and Wes as a 10....

"It doesn’t have to be a case of one or the other," Smith said, while discussing Watkins and Wesley. "I’m not afraid of changing systems.

"When I signed Wesley, he was playing up front for Brugge and he was up there mainly playing alongside a guy called Krepin Diatta, who went on to sign for Monaco. So I know he can partner players up front.

"Wes can play as a 10, he can be a different type of player.

"He’s got the body strength to hold the ball up for us and his technique holds up."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-trezeguet-liverpool-grealish-20321597

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Amazing isn't it. 

In fairness I really rate Ancellotti, but I guess that just reinforces the argument that Smith is doing well really.

23 minutes ago, eholm said:

"It doesn’t have to be a case of one or the other," Smith said, while discussing Watkins and Wesley. "I’m not afraid of changing systems.

"When I signed Wesley, he was playing up front for Brugge and he was up there mainly playing alongside a guy called Krepin Diatta, who went on to sign for Monaco. So I know he can partner players up front.

"He’s got the body strength to hold the ball up for us and his technique holds up."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-trezeguet-liverpool-grealish-20321597

I think the better the squad becomes the more flexible we will see the team become.

• Like 2

From the time we made the substitutions we completely bossed the game. They couldn’t really handle us. I don’t know whether it was fatigue on their part or maybe just the pressure. But they were the better team and in control until we changed it.   It’s good to see Smith make early changed that affect the game. But something still isn’t right with how we are approaching games for the most part. 

Grealish returning would really give everyone a boost but god knows when that will happen. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Dean is not a Pep Guardiola, but to be fair to Dean, he hasn't got the players Pep has, to be Pep....Pep is a great manager, but lets be honest, everywhere he has gone, he has had the Worlds best players.

Dean for me, is still learning and will make mistakes ,but when you have to balance so many factors, thoughts can get pulled in various directions, I'll bett the coaches don't always agree, thats natural......I think we have done great to accrue 44 points to date.....However,I think Dean's job is made more difficult, by player inconsistency, it must be head banging to keep ahead of that, but he has done really well, with it.

Deans main attribute IMV is his creator of Harmony, he fits with just about every aspect and department of the club, that is not easy to do, when so many egos are at play....keeping everyone happy is a gift to behold.

The overall view of the club, fits with Deans tenure, He is a safe pair of hands, but that would be grossly under rating him, if thats all he had.

• Like 4

People who want Smith gone are dim. Really dim. He isn't faultless but look around the premier league and ask yourself who would achieve more with the sets of players we’ve had over the last 3 years.

• Like 2

we don’t want to have to ask this again - please stay on topic - this topic is Dean Smith, not your opinions of other posters, other managers, other players, other people’s Reactions in match threads. Please stay on topic, Villans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eholm said:

I like the sound of this.

I'm hoping yesterday encourages him to do just this, with Davis, at least until Jack is back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Deans main attribute IMV is his creator of Harmony, he fits with just about every aspect and department of the club, that is not easy to do, when so many egos are at play....keeping everyone happy is a gift to behold.

The overall view of the club, fits with Deans tenure, He is a safe pair of hands, but that would be grossly under rating him, if thats all he had.

This is key!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Don’t underestimate his ambition...he’s relatively young for a manager and will only improve

Look how much he has developed already

I ain't saying he's a gold digger but

He got that ambition, baby, look at his eyes
This week he moppin' floors, next week it's the fries
So stick by his side...

Probably only end up leaving our ass for a white side (England) :D 

Edited by sne

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I inadvertently read that Smith hasn’t shown the tactical nous to take us to the ‘next level’.

What does this even mean?

Not enough complex, scientific and frantic hand gesturing on the sidelines.

The true sign of a quality coach - Duh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not enough complex, scientific and frantic hand gesturing on the sidelines.

The true sign of a quality coach - Duh.

Zero throwing of Gilet either

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I inadvertently read that Smith hasn’t shown the tactical nous to take us to the ‘next level’.

What does this even mean?

Not quite sure how you can inadvertently read something, but where and when did you accidentally read this? If you can give the context it may be possible to give a reply.

Â