Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They have a few decent players

• Rodriguez
  • Barnes
  • Phillips

If we can tactically nullify their wing threat, like we did at Boro, I am not sure where their threat comes from.

If we impose our game, I think they are toast.

I think they started the season well and have just lost their edge, but don't want to be too cocky.

I think the Blues would beat them now.

Don't forget Gayle...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Yep, bit worries about their size. Some big old units in that team. Could bully us from set-pieces, especially if Brunt is whipping them in.

You mean like the side from the land of the giants that Pulis put out on the weekend?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You mean like the side from the land of the giants that Pulis put out on the weekend?

Pulis didn't try to attack though.

Nyland had literally nothing to do all day except for one save, but that was about it.

We have to prevent them getting into those crossing positions cause we all know how pathetic a flapping Nyland can be.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Plus baggies have sam johnstone our keeper from last season, he is certainly missed at villa and I can see him being a pain to put goals past, Tammy will need to be sharp on the night, in fact all our players will.

Nah, if you listen to the WM phone in, WBA fans are calling in daily complaining about him.

I don't think he's all that, yes he kept plenty of clean sheets in our defensive set up, but he is not a good shot stopper - I honestly think Nyland is better in that department. Johnstone is better at crosses, organising defence and commanding his area, but I'd say Nyland probably has the better distribution. Not much between them I think. 

I don’t think Sam Johnstone is anything special and was fortunate to play behind a very defensive team. He is more definitely  good for this league but I think that’s his level.  

Next to Nyland he looks like Buffon. 

I always felt he struggled from set pieces. We are the highest scorers from set pieces in the league with 15. Lets see what Smith has up his sleeve. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

When asked why he wanted us to continue on the front foot after scoring 2 goals, he said, " that's how I like my teams to play, it can be dangerous in this league to sit back and try and protect what you've got, it's just inviting the opposition ".

What a contrast to previous incumbents. I'm so impressed with how he has handled the expectation. This isn't just a job, it's his vocation . His joy as been infectious and the feel  good factor has returned from a deep, deep, slumber.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

When asked why he wanted us to continue on the front foot after scoring 2 goals, he said, " that's how I like my teams to play, it can be dangerous in this league to sit back and try and protect what you've got, it's just inviting the opposition ".

What a contrast to previous incumbents. I'm so impressed with how he has handled the expectation. This isn't just a job, it's his vocation . His joy as been infectious and the feel  good factor has returned from a deep, deep, slumber.

Yep said this before. Student of the beautiful game. 

The English Guardiola. Same age as well :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He is right.

Just look at the wba - brentford game last night after baggies scored they sat back and surprise surprise brentford scored.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Boro are the 6th worst attacking side in the league though.

Stopping them scoring isnt much of an achievement, they didnt score against Norwich, Swansea, Rotherham, Stoke, Forest, us or you. 

Scoring against them was very impressive though never mind 3. 

WBA are the total opposite, its stopping them scoring thats difficult.

We'll just have to settle for a 7-5 victory then :cheers:

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The one that never ever concede from set pieces, yet conceded 2 against us.

The same side that has let the least amount of goals than any other team in the division yet leaked 3?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

We'll just have to settle for a 7-5 victory then :cheers:

Sods law dictates that WBA vs Villa will now end 0-0 and will contain as much excitement as a Tony Pulis presentation titled "Football, how to suck the joy out of it in 10 steps".😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Sods law dictates that WBA vs Villa will now end 0-0 and will contain as much excitement as a Tony Pulis presentation titled "Football, how to suck the joy out of it in 10 steps".😊

10? He would never be that extravagant

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Nope, but my judgement is not based on hindsight.

When Aston Villa's future is at stake, I am happy to be wrong.

I take my hat off to all the fans that banged the drum for him....including one of my longstanding mates in the Aston Social Club....take a bow guys.

but let me say this.....I do hope if we have a few set backs along the way....We all stick with Dean, because he has shown us enough, he is worth sticking with....unfortunately football has a habit of dumping you on your **** at times (when you least expect it) despite having a good manager and coaches.

I 100% agree that if things at some point do go wrong we should not be so hasty to give Smith the sack and call for his head.

Dean I think is intelligent enough to find a way to make a bad situation work, we should stick with DS for many reasons and see him as the future of our club.

I think if Dean doesn't get promotion eith us this year then I fear some fans may want him gone. Us bunch of fans we have shown time and time again that we aren't willing to settle on a manager when things are going bad, it's about time that changed. I think because we've gone through alot of managers compared to most clubs, the impatient behaviour of us fans as all contributed towards our unsuccessful ways also.

I will not be shouting for Dean Smith's head if things go wrong for a while, not unless were going to be relegated but I am confident while were under Deano that we will never be in that position.

It's still early days under Dean, it's a long road, if we go up we go up but if we don't I won't hold it against Dean, or the players. I will see this season as let's freshen up, install everything, let Dean strengthen our team and go again next season all while starting off as strong as possible.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I 100% agree that if things at some point do go wrong we should not be so hasty to give Smith the sack and call for his head.

Dean I think is intelligent enough to find a way to make a bad situation work, we should stick with DS for many reasons and see him as the future of our club.

I think if Dean doesn't get promotion eith us this year then I fear some fans may want him gone. Us bunch of fans we have shown time and time again that we aren't willing to settle on a manager when things are going bad, it's about time that changed. I think because we've gone through alot of managers compared to most clubs, the impatient behaviour of us fans as all contributed towards our unsuccessful ways also.

I will not be shouting for Dean Smith's head if things go wrong for a while, not unless were going to be relegated but I am confident while were under Deano that we will never be in that position.

It's still early days under Dean, it's a long road, if we go up we go up but if we don't I won't hold it against Dean, or the players. I will see this season as let's freshen up, install everything, let Dean strengthen our team and go again next season all while starting off as strong as possible.

To be fair, even when things went south, I was really upset when BFR, Brian Little, and John Gregory left.

The others I was pretty much glad to see the back of.  

When a manager has shown they're capable of good, exciting football, I'm always in the give them a chance to turn it around camp.

Edit: McLeish and Bruce I couldn't wait to see the back of.

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Thug said:

To be fair, even when things went south, I was really upset when BFR, Brian Little, and John Gregory left.

The others I was pretty much glad to see the back of.  

When a manager has shown they're capable of good, exciting football, I'm always in the give them a chance to turn it around camp.

Edit: McLeish and Bruce I couldn't wait to see the back of.

I also like big Ron, Brian little and Gregory, apart from Dean Smith I'm sure we can all agree the 90s were the last bit of light on Aston villa, after that it was a dark cloud for around two decades. That's just disgusting to think of dark times our club has had to endure, the managers who did nothing at all and the owners and staff that poorly ran our club nearly into the ground.

Because we had a bad American owner before in lerner I was scared to hear we was getting another in Wes edans  He seems to be ace along with Nassef Sawiris though. the pair seem to want success in English football, they want to build a sports empire and because Wes has turned the bucks around gives us hope for the future. 

I really am dieing to see the next phase of there plan once were in the premier because so far for a first season our owners have done everything pretty bang on if you ask me.I mean I'm actually now talking as its almost a certinity were going up this season or next, that's how much belief I now have in the system that's been put into place. I think now we'd have to have some real bad luck not to get promotion while under bruce every step was nerve racking and always thought if we do it, it's because we have lady luck on our side.  Not no more though now it's more of a belief because I've seen how Smith has our players winning games, it's not through luck and scrapping it out every game for one measly goal, it's because our players actually look that good  that they look like a premiere team.

Just wait till January and the defence is sorted, I don't think anyone going to touch us..

• Like 1

Â