Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think if we had better quality on the bench he’d be less reluctant  to make earlier changes.  

I distinctly remember Brentford fans mentioning that we will be frustrated at his lack of use of substitutions too, for whatever it's worth. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I distinctly remember Brentford fans mentioning that we will be frustrated at his lack of use of substitutions too, for whatever it's worth. 

Interesting. Maybe one of the journalists may ask him the question about subs in the next press conference. 

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I had a quick look through Brentford's 17/18 season reports on Wikipedia.

It looks to me like at the start of the season he was often just doing a couple of subs towards the end of the game (or for injured players), which is what he's been doing here this season. So yes, it is a thing that pre-dates his time here and probably nothing to do with Shakespeare.

But then towards the end of the 17/18 season he started doing the more conventional 3 subs around 60-75 mins. So perhaps it's to do with fatigue levels? I wonder if he just feels the players haven't played enough games yet to need resting (and doesn't rate his bench options much, anyway).

He also seems more inclined to make subs when his team is losing.

The big test will be what he does if Sanson turns out to be as good as hoped, because then he really does have a genuine selection dilemma and the option of 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 (flat 3) all become available to him which are all formations we know he likes using. Might start to see more tinkering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think if we had better quality on the bench he’d be less reluctant  to make earlier changes.  

We have plenty good quality. Acting as if Trez wasn't a key part of our early season run. El ghazi scored 5 goals in 6 games. Hause proved he is more than capable as a defender against Chelsea. Nakamba had some of the best defensive stats in the league last season. Elmo is Elmo. Ramsey seems to get better every time he plays. Etc. 

Saying we don't have quality is a myth. We have at least 5 serviceable back ups on our bench and we should use them more frequently. 

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I had a quick look through Brentford's 17/18 season reports on Wikipedia.

It looks to me like at the start of the season he was often just doing a couple of subs towards the end of the game (or for injured players), which is what he's been doing here this season. So yes, it is a thing that pre-dates his time here and probably nothing to do with Shakespeare.

But then towards the end of the 17/18 season he started doing the more conventional 3 subs around 60-75 mins. So perhaps it's to do with fatigue levels? I wonder if he just feels the players haven't played enough games yet to need resting (and doesn't rate his bench options much, anyway).

He also seems more inclined to make subs when his team is losing.

The big test will be what he does if Sanson turns out to be as good as hoped, because then he really does have a genuine selection dilemma and the option of 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 (flat 3) all become available to him which are all formations we know he likes using. Might start to see more tinkering.

If he doesn't rate his bench options why didn't we sign another player then? Or bring someone in on loan? 

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We have plenty good quality. Acting as if Trez wasn't a key part of our early season run. El ghazi scored 5 goals in 6 games. Hause proved he is more than capable as a defender against Chelsea. Nakamba had some of the best defensive stats in the league last season. Elmo is Elmo. Ramsey seems to get better every time he plays. Etc. 

Saying we don't have quality is a myth. We have at least 5 serviceable back ups on our bench and we should use them more frequently. 

You’re really hung up on this subs thing aren’t you?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Man City have made 41 subs in the league this season, we have made 38. West Brom and Sheffield United have made 61

.. and how many times have they changed their first 11 compared to us?

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Think people just differ in their definition of quality. I would call none of those quality. They are capable and I'd argue all of them have played above expected ability when called upon.. most likely due to good man management and being played good by very good team mates.

Not saying they can't contribute, but some of these players need to be replaced in my opinion, as they are just not good enough for where we want to be.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

I can recall Deano trying out different formations and moving players in/out of the starting 11 last season. What made him change drastically this year?

Probably all the losses and the relegation battle (if you weren't being delightfully sarcastic)

• Like 1

AEG must be kicking himself. What does he have to do to be in instead of Ross? Score 10 in a row? Dean has one weakness and that is not subbing when our team is clearly spent. It nearly cost us 3 points on Saturday. Marvelous and AEG on for McGinn and Ross would give us energy and pace for counters when Southampton bullied us in the last 15 mins.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

AEG must be kicking himself. What does he have to do to be in instead of Ross? Score 10 in a row? Dean has one weakness and that is not subbing when our team is clearly spent. It nearly cost us 3 points on Saturday. Marvelous and AEG on for McGinn and Ross would give us energy and pace for counters when Southampton bullied us in the last 15 mins.

I think Barkley had something in his contract or the very least a mutual agreement with Smith in regards to playing time. And that was an integral part in how we got the deal done in the first place.

Yes conspiracy theory, but considering he keeps getting picked after playing poorly and Anwar getting dropped when playing superbly do support this theory.

Barkley played well last game though. Long may it continue.

Edited by villalad21

Â