Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I do worry a bit about burnout, we’re playing two games a week and coming back off a virus induced hiatus of 10 days, surely the science would point toward some rotation? I remember before the Chelsea game Smith talked about asking the players and them all saying they were ready (to play again, two days after beating Palace) - they will say they’re ready because they don’t want to be dropped. I know we’re not flush with options but I feel like another week ahead with the same starting XI might not be the best idea.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I do worry a bit about burnout, we’re playing two games a week and coming back off a virus induced hiatus of 10 days, surely the science would point toward some rotation? I remember before the Chelsea game Smith talked about asking the players and them all saying they were ready (to play again, two days after beating Palace) - they will say they’re ready because they don’t want to be dropped. I know we’re not flush with options but I feel like another week ahead with the same starting XI might not be the best idea.

must confess honestly.....I have no idea, how covid 19 affects them, so I can't factor it in to my comments.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

From Smiths interviews it sounds like he very much takes the advice of the performance team and if he says the ‘numbers’ are good then they play.  I’m sure if he gets the advice that any of the players are fatigued he will change it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Basically people are saying if he made more subs he'd basically be Guardiola.

It's like when opp fans say if Jack didn't spend all his time on the floor he'd be even better. Basically if he stopped diving he'd be Maradona because he's already one of the best ball carriers and chance creators in the world.

If they didn't foul him he wouldn't go down......its funny, its only when he gets clattered, he goes down, is there a parallel there?

Perhaps if they knew the difference between a legal tackle and a foul it might help their frustration......it really tickles me when they throw their bodies at him and then look hard done by, when the ref blows or puts a yellow card their way.

Maradona had the same issue, being brought down, we only see the good bits on you tube....He was heavily fouled too....its quite disgusting really, but its the only way to stop talent like that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Man City have made 41 subs in the league this season, we have made 38. West Brom and Sheffield United have made 61

SMITH OUT. SAM or WILDER IN 😆

Thats an interesting stat from a city perspective considering how strong their bench is. But to be fair they rotate their team game by game a lot. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

From Smiths interviews it sounds like he very much takes the advice of the performance team and if he says the ‘numbers’ are good then they play.  I’m sure if he gets the advice that any of the players are fatigued he will change it. 

Smith should replace science, qualifications, expertise and experience with people who know better sitting on this football forum.  Smith needs to get on this forum more than listen to his people, he needs to fix his flaw as we’ve missed out on points already because of it...

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Man City have made 41 subs in the league this season, we have made 38. West Brom and Sheffield United have made 61

Wow that's really interesting. 

I said in a previous post, knowing Smith to be the analytical type, I'm almost certain there will be a reason why he thinks minimising substitutes is beneficial to results. I just can't put my finger on it and haven't seen any analysis about it online

2 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Wow that's really interesting. 

I said in a previous post, knowing Smith to be the analytical type, I'm almost certain there will be a reason why he thinks minimising substitutes is beneficial to results. I just can't put my finger on it and haven't seen any analysis about it online

Substitutions impact the rhythm of a game. Sometimes you might want to do that, other times not. There are exceptions to the rule but generally making substitutions for the sake of it is pretty old school, as you alluded to.

As an aside I think the idea of wanting 5 substitutions for fitness reasons is a ludicrous overstatement of the difference between gearing yourself up for and playing in 80 minutes of football vs 90, it is clearly to give these bigger sides more opportunities to disrupt the flow of a game.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair Ranieri loved a sub and a tinker and he won the league. SMITH OUT, RANIERI IN!

From memory they won the league (with Pearson's team) because for once in his career he didn't tinker or rotate heavily 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Substitutions impact the rhythm of a game. Sometimes you might want to do that, other times not. There are exceptions to the rule but generally making substitutions for the sake of it is pretty old school, as you alluded to.

As an aside I think the idea of wanting 5 substitutions for fitness reasons is a ludicrous overstatement of the difference between gearing yourself up for and playing in 80 minutes of football vs 90, it is clearly to give these bigger sides more opportunities to disrupt the flow of a game.  

I still think if we had better quality on the bench he’d be less reluctant  to make earlier changes.  

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

From memory they won the league (with Pearson's team) because for once in his career he didn't tinker or rotate heavily 

Pretty much. The team picked it self. Only changed when he had no choice. Similar to Smith so maybe Shakespeare has an influence  on keeping the same team for as long as possible. 

• Like 1

Â