Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is something in football that really pleases me, and I think the manager and his coaches must take credit here.

When fringe players, refuse to lie down and die and fight for a place, by knocking on the door when they get an opportunity, its heart warming and encouraging, that we are on the right path.

Hause and Nakamba, impressed me against Burnley and epitomised the spirit in the club......we can't progress with just 11 players and its hard to just keep signing players,willy nilly.

I thought they showed character and a willingness to compete and didn't look that out of place......that is a credit to themselves and the coaching staff.

Bravo Boys.

ps I can only imagine what it must be like for youth team players to be growing up in this environment.

There's certainly a feel of something special.

I'll admit I wrote off Smith in the last game before lockdown (0-4 v Leicester at home, I believe). We didn't even look like a team where people knew their role and what we were trying to achieve. For want of a better description, we were totally inept in all departments.

After the break we got markedly better (particularly Luiz, Targett and Konsa) with the odd stinker still (Chelsea game comes to mind).

Now, though, not only are we playing brilliantly - mostly dominating in the games we have played - but you get the feeling we haven't peaked yet. There is still more to come from the team. There is still more to come from players like Watkins, Cash, Traore, Konsa and even McGinn, Mings and Grealish. You get the sense there is no glass ceiling like we've had with former managers.

All credit to Dean and his coaching staff. The turn around is remarkable.

Exciting times.

• Like 2

It’s hard for me to admit (as I like to feel the majority of the time I’m fair on our players and manager and judge them on their performances) but I feel I got Dean Smith wrong.

12 months ago after an abject performance against Southampton I wanted a new manager. I felt given the money spent and the tactical errors I believed he was making every game week that we were heading for the drop which would have been a disaster. I certainly didn’t think it would be easy last season but felt our performances at the start were better than in the middle and we were going backwards. I also felt our fans were giving him a bit of an easy ride, seeing as he was a Villa man, and whilst I liked him for that I was trying to look past it.

Fast forward 12 months we look a completely different team. We look like his Brentford team did which had won him many plaudits, except in the Prem against much tougher opposition. The signings have improved, the spirit in the camp is unbelievable, every single one of our players seem best mates even the ones on the fringes, and we are sitting pretty in the top half with 2 games in hand. The football is some of the best I’ve seen at Villa for a long time, probably since Brian Little. We have had the most shots per game in the league this season, we are finally starting to dominate possession most weeks, and we’ve faced the fifth fewest shots in the league which is a massive turnaround from last season.

So excuse the long post, and of course football can change very quickly, but I now believe DS is the right man and has improved as a manager this season ten fold. He has used those dark moments from last season and absolutely came out on top and I fully respect him for that. Keep playing like this and getting the results we are and he will undoubtedly be up for manager of the year, of that I’m sure.

• Like 3

Some stats i saw today.

Most shots per game,

2nd in seriel duels won(another myth crushed),

most clean sheets in the league

Easily the most fouled team in the league 16 per game. Next best is 12

9.7 shots in the box per game only Leeds have more

Only negative stat is we have 4th worst discipinary record though we are making more tactical fouls

22 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Pretty sure that Ron was a well respected manager. Who had recently (unsuccessfully) been in charge of Man City in their early 70s pomp and taken Norwich City to  a Cup final.

Although I agree he made his name at the very highest level with us.

He took Man City, Norwich and Villa to league cup finals in consecutive years. He finally won his first with Villa.

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A happy happy day and also my 12th Birthday 🙂

Happy belated, birthday. 

I was there with my dear, old man, who is now one of them Holte- Enders in the sky. I would have been 9yrs of age. I knew Graydon was going to miss the pen, but at least he managed to put home the rebound. It's something I'll never forget, I even remember the Villa fans saluting the Norwich players after the game. How times have changed.

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Happy belated, birthday. 

I was there with my dear, old man, who is now one of them Holte- Enders in the sky. I would have been 9yrs of age. I knew Graydon was going to miss the pen, but at least he managed to put home the rebound. It's something I'll never forget, I even remember the Villa fans saluting the Norwich players after the game. How times have changed.

Thank you 🙂. Your memories of the game pretty much mirror mine. I was there with both my Dad and Mom. She had no interest in football but insisted on coming because it was my birthday! I went to hundreds of games with my Dad over the years but this was the second and final game I went to with Mom. Much to the relief of me and Dad! Both are sadly Holte Enders in the Sky now. Well perhaps an honorary title for Mom!

• Like 1

Dean is quite a boring man which is probably why he doesn't get the media attention to the likes of Bielsa and Mourinho who both are quite some characters.

Don't see this as a bad thing though.

I like that we go a bit under the radar and quietly go about our business. Less pressure.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, AJ said:

We are a WIP, but you can see the emphasis on progress.

Smithy is doing a great job, and the longer he is here, he is only going to get better. I think it helps alot that he keeps flying under the radar from eyes outside the club, so there is no extra pressure, he just keeps doing his best and learning from his mistakes. 

We have a good one, and I feel that the longer he stays, we will keep going forward.

It seems like they are all singing off the same hymn sheet.....when you get synergy right and the owners we have, anything can happen.

The belief is evident and it is in every dep't.

its a great time to be a Villa fan.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Dean is quite a boring man which is probably why he doesn't get the media attention to the likes of Bielsa and Mourinho who both are quite some characters.

I like that we go a bit under the radar and quietly go about our business. Less pressure.

Biesla is hardly a Bruce Forsythe is he? And Mourinho is more like Jack Dee.

i think Dean is more like Jim Carey, compared to the them.

We only see what he is like, in front of the cameras....we don't know what he is like in private.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The core of the squad have been through a promotion followed by a last day survival and are now benefiting massively from the comerarderie that must instill. The additions this summer have all worked out, no duds, and has raised the already improving performance levels in the side. Being patient and holding your nerve has paid off big time. Purslow and the owners deserve credit for that. They believed in what DS was doing.

Deano’s handling of all the above scenarios has been top class, such a calm and measured manner about him, always speaks sense and is the most honest manager ive come across. Feel blessed that I can be this happy about football thesedays. We all deserve it though, its been a rough decade.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Biesla is hardly a Bruce Forsythe is he? And Mourinho is more like Jack Dee.

i think Dean is more like Jim Carey, compared to the them.

We only see what he is like, in front of the cameras....we don't know what he is like in private.

He strike me more of your normal, every day chap.

It won't bring you the media attraction but he is well liked by the players and fans and that's the important thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Some stats i saw today.

Most shots per game,

2nd in seriel duels won(another myth crushed),

most clean sheets in the league

Easily the most fouled team in the league 16 per game. Next best is 12

9.7 shots in the box per game only Leeds have more

Only negative stat is we have 4th worst discipinary record though we are making more tactical fouls

nearly serial.

high five tony the tiger GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Since when did a bucket make someone interesting?

• Haha 1

Â