Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

That is true.

And Ron Saunders didn't either do much of note before arriving to Villa. He made his name with us and hopefully Dean can follow his footsteps.

Pretty sure that Ron was a well respected manager. Who had recently (unsuccessfully) been in charge of Man City in their early 70s pomp and taken Norwich City to  a Cup final.

Although I agree he made his name at the very highest level with us.

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I had 2 wobbles last season, one at Christmas and another around Feb just before the lockdown, it wasn't so much a problem with Smith it was a case of I felt the players weren't playing for him, we looked lazy and had no confidence, we were Statistically the worst pressing team in the league, I'm sure our distance covered stats were piss poor too

Posted a stat last week that we're the only team in the league this season that's seen an increase in our pressing and its higher up the pitch too, we look far more energetic, hungrier, more confident, then you look at the stats for clean sheets away from home and just goals conceded in general 

In a lot of ways we're the polar opposite of what we were last season, I honestly don't know how he's done it, maybe it is Shakespeare, maybe it's Watkins and Martinez but last season when I was reluctantly saying he should go because of how bad the team was I now have to give Smith credit for how good the team is, I'm honestly not sure a new manager could have had as dramatic a turn around as what Smith has managed, it's incredible really, we're a different team with the same manager, takes some doing 

Agree totally but honestly think it’s as simple as him having time to work with them and the players getting to know each other rather than a full team being thrown together over a summer.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Agree totally but honestly think it’s as simple as him having time to work with them and the players getting to know each other rather than a full team being thrown together over a summer.

Also injuries hit us hard last season, touch wood we have only had Barkley this season.

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I had 2 wobbles last season, one at Christmas and another around Feb just before the lockdown, it wasn't so much a problem with Smith it was a case of I felt the players weren't playing for him, we looked lazy and had no confidence, we were Statistically the worst pressing team in the league, I'm sure our distance covered stats were piss poor too

Posted a stat last week that we're the only team in the league this season that's seen an increase in our pressing and its higher up the pitch too, we look far more energetic, hungrier, more confident, then you look at the stats for clean sheets away from home and just goals conceded in general 

In a lot of ways we're the polar opposite of what we were last season, I honestly don't know how he's done it, maybe it is Shakespeare, maybe it's Watkins and Martinez but last season when I was reluctantly saying he should go because of how bad the team was I now have to give Smith credit for how good the team is, I'm honestly not sure a new manager could have had as dramatic a turn around as what Smith has managed, it's incredible really, we're a different team with the same manager, takes some doing 

The Prem looked so far beyond us those first couple games. I remember crystal palace absolutely bullying us that game. Everton's press seemed light years beyond anything we had seen in the championship. If we couldn't physically compete against a couple mid table sides how were we going to survive a 38 game season. 

I thought we had the talent but physically/athletically we looked hopeless. Crazy how in one year we look a completely different side. Able to physically compete even with the bully teams of the league. Dean and his assistants deserve all the praise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I have to say in February I did break from my support of Smith and reluctantly supported the idea that it was time for change. I felt Smith was naive and didn’t appear to want to change the system to the rigours of the division, he was the bigger part of the problem and the easiest to change. But lockdown has proved that there is more than the affable brummie appearance, he is smart, analytical and progressive. His turnaround has been the story of the Premier league over the past 20 games.

Smith is no longer part of the problem but has become the reason for our emergence as a genuine force. The change in approach and playing style, working with what we had (a diminished squad), he has ear marked our weakness’ and we bought accordingly. Berkeley instead of Rashica which has amplified Grealish’s talent is now a master stroke, and yes I know wasnt a deliberate choice, but they didn’t panic and for instance buy Benrahma and trusted that there was another way to play.

I have every confidence in Smith and the management now despite their inexperience at the higher levels of football, I think if we do get into Europe he will adapt, he is showing that he is capable of adapting but also putting the jigsaw together that in its own way every season he has had with us, has worked at the end of the season.

Well put, my friend. 

• Thanks 1

I admit, I had my wobbles...

I think its many factors.....but he deserves all the praise he gets.

there will be set backs along the way, but I feel he will be on top of them, now.

He has grown immensely.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I think its many factors.....but he deserves all the praise he gets.

there will be set backs along the way, but I feel he will be on top of them, now.

Agree, a lot of people, especially the media continue to make simplistic assessments of our previous season and the great escape...

Rightly or wrongly we bought a new squad and went for untried and inexperienced players with no PL experience. Most just say the club spent $150m,  doing a Fulham, which was a lazy assessment and not realising why it needed to be done. 

Yes there was naivety with how we played and by players, but that was due to the inexperience of the players and to the coaching staff at PL level. But we also had no luck before Xmas, poor refereeing costing us 3-4 points and the long term injuries to McGinn, Wesley & Heaton which also probably cost us at least 8 points. That combined has us safely staying in the PL.

So when you combine the bad luck, long term injuries and inexperience and then add the experience, quality of the new signings, it’s not as big a leap to where we are today.

Smith has had a plan since day 1, there may of been some deviations, but he learns from his mistakes. He is still evolving as a manager, so who knows what that ceiling is. The one thing I really admire about Smith is his ability to give the players a role/job to do within the tactics, but also gives the players the freedom to express themselves. Great man management.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 3

It's exciting to think where this manager can take us. There's a wonderful feel about the club right now and it's almost tangible. You can see it on the players faces,. They are playing with a swagger that is fuelled by confidence and a belief that together they might become something special. 

Let's aim high, because that's what big clubs do. What an achievement it would be if we could qualify for Europe. Just imagine those night games against some of the European heavyweights. We've been absent from that stage for far too long. I honestly believe that European football is the only way we keep our talisman, our ambition must respect his talent. It's an absolute pleasure to have someone that talented playing in that shirt, and with a passion and commitment that can only come from someone who bleeds claret and blue . I have to be honest, even if he went, I would still have nothing but love for the man. He has more than proved his love and loyalty to this club. How could we begrudge him anything ? He will always be one of our own. But, like I said, he may, like Gerrard did for Liverpool, decide to stay and become the legend that will be spoke about amongst the claret and blue hordes, and leave a legacy that will, probably, never be bettered. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I remember us on opening day playing great stuff but then being shattered by 60 minutes and being dominated by Spurs physically. I distinctly remember none of our players even being able the touch Erik Lamela of all people. It was a rude awakening to the physical rigours of this league. We couldn't cope with it for a long while. Now we're the ones dominating teams. Shows what a bit of time and patience can get you.

Yep, you are right.......but Ollie and Emi have made a huge difference too.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yep, you are right.......but Ollie and Emi have made a huge difference too.

One underrated attribute with Ollie is his pressing.

It's allowing us to defend from the front. Dean even mentioned it in his press conference.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

One underrated attribute with Ollie is his pressing.

It's allowing us to defend from the front. Dean even mentioned it in his press conference.

blimey it must be important.....we have a conference on it ,now.😀

• Haha 2

There is something in football that really pleases me, and I think the manager and his coaches must take credit here.

When fringe players, refuse to lie down and die and fight for a place, by knocking on the door when they get an opportunity, its heart warming and encouraging, that's why we are on the right path.

Hause and Nakamba, impressed me against Burnley and epitomised the spirit in the club......we can't progress with just 11 players and its hard to just keep signing players,willy nilly.

I thought they showed character and a willingness to compete and didn't look that out of place......that is a credit to themselves and the coaching staff.

Bravo Boys.

ps I can only imagine what it must be like for youth team players to be growing up in this environment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

We are a WIP, but you can see the emphasis on progress.

Smithy is doing a great job, and the longer he is here, he is only going to get better. I think it helps alot that he keeps flying under the radar from eyes outside the club, so there is no extra pressure, he just keeps doing his best and learning from his mistakes. 

We have a good one, and I feel that the longer he stays, we will keep going forward.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is something in football that really pleases me, and I think the manager and his coaches must take credit here.

When fringe players, refuse to lie down and die and fight for a place, by knocking on the door when they get an opportunity, its heart warming and encouraging, that we are on the right path.

Hause and Nakamba, impressed me against Burnley and epitomised the spirit in the club......we can't progress with just 11 players and its hard to just keep signing players,willy nilly.

I thought they showed character and a willingness to compete and didn't look that out of place......that is a credit to themselves and the coaching staff.

Bravo Boys.

ps I can only imagine what it must be like for youth team players to be growing up in this environment.

Completely agree with this.

Will add though that last season was an awful environment for these players (nakamba comes to mind) to basically learn the PL trade. Completely new, young squad, which basically wasn't good enough for the PL.

Constant criticism towards the manager, their performances. It can't have been nice. They needed time, and a bit of pressure off. There isn't any pressure on those lads now, they can adapt and settle in a bit easier. 

The squad looks extremely closely knit now and it's amazing to see. Long may it continue.

Â