Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Tactics of Sassuolo explained

"Sassuolo not only plays the most passes but they play the fewest long balls," says Melidona. "It is a very ambitious style of play and the influence of Guardiola is clear. De Zerbi always plays with five or six men attacking. The left-back or right-back joins in. The idea is always to fill the half of the opponent with as many players as possible.

"Sometimes, he starts with three players and the goalkeeper. Other times, he starts with four players and the goalkeeper. But the principle is always to dominate the game starting from a low construction, to retain possession and to control with and without the ball.

"He uses the whole width of the field. Right now, his scheme is to play with four defenders, two midfielders, three players between the midfield and the striker, and one striker.

"It is very important for him to play with his two outside players in the attack as inverted wingers, with the left footer on the right and the right footer on the left. That is because he wants width but he needs the wide attackers to move inside the box in the final third."

An example of this came on Sunday when, in top scorer Caputo's absence through injury, Sassuolo's goals in a 2-0 win were provided by Domenico Berardi, their left-footed right-winger, and Jeremie Boga, the former Chelsea youngster, who cuts inside from the left.

Much like Guardiola's teams, Sassuolo's expansive approach can leave them susceptible to the counter-attack and that has been reflected in some crazy scorelines. Just last month they followed up a 4-3 away win against Bologna with a 3-3 draw at home to Torino.

On Saturday, Sassuolo face Antonio Conte's Inter, against whom they drew 3-3 last time out in June having lost this corresponding fixture 4-3 last season. Entertainment is guaranteed.

"The problem is that using so many players in attacks does leave a lot of space in behind when possession of the ball is lost," says Melidona. "This is why even when Sassuolo win, they sometimes concede goals. Maybe it is a risk but it is a principle of De Zerbi's football.

"Sassuolo always try to score one more than the opponent. Sometimes the problem is that when he plays against a big team, if they do not take their chances they cannot come back."

Full Article Here

I found this quite interesting and there are a couple of parallels to how we are starting to play. The primary difference is that the teams we are beating are more than likely lining up in a similar fashion and we are exploiting them. Teams sitting back more (probably with the exception of Leeds) are then exploring the space we are leaving because we haven’t yet mastered our own approach. 

Edited by Tayls

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Full Article Here

I found this quite interesting and there are a couple of parallels to how we are starting to play. The primary difference is that the teams we are beating are more than likely lining up in a similar fashion and we are exploiting them. Teams sitting back more (probably with the exception of Leeds) are then exploring the space we are leaving because we haven’t yet mastered our own approach. 

And for the simpler folk like me, here is a video that Tifo did on the same subject. When I saw it, I also immediately thought of Villa and how we are starting to play.

I have to admit I would like us to approach home games the same way as away games regardless of opponent. It will probably end up leading to dull draws and wouldn’t be fun to watch but whilst there is no crowd there it might be the best approach to getting more points on the board. 

When the crowd is back there is no way they will accept us sitting back against the likes of Brighton, Leeds and Southampton.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to admit I would like us to approach home games the same way as away games regardless of opponent. It will probably end up leading to dull draws and wouldn’t be fun to watch but whilst there is no crowd there it might be the best approach to getting more points on the board. 

When the crowd is back there is no way they will accept us sitting back against the likes of Brighton, Leeds and Southampton.

good post.

I don't think we have to do it to a position of parking the bus.......just be more cautious and be less inclined to give the ball away cheaply.....we have a young team, they have to learn.

I do not want us to lose our attacking zeal......but some of our defending is indefensible at times (pardon the pun) particularly at Home.

These teams who are beating us ,know we like to play open attacking football, but are not quite as good as the very best teams who do it and subsequently they douse the flames of our enthusiasm and grind their way back in to the game.

we have to be ready for this.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

good post.

I don't think we have to do it to a position of parking the bus.......just be more cautious and be less inclined to give the ball away cheaply.....we have a young team, they have to learn.

I do not want us to lose our attacking zeal......but some of our defending is indefensible at times (pardon the pun) particularly at Home.

These teams who are beating us ,know we like to play open attacking football, but are not quite as good as the very best teams who do it and subsequently they douse the flames of our enthusiasm and grind their way back in to the game.

we have to be ready for this.

Teams are coming to villa park to stay solid and hit us on the break.  If we do the same at home you’d end up with a dull affair most likely decided by the odd goal. 

Id take it to be honest. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Teams are coming to villa park to stay solid and hit us on the break.  If we do the same at home you’d end up with a dull affair most likely decided by the odd goal. 

Id take it to be honest. 

Surely that depends who gets the odd goal? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Id take it to be honest. 

Its a trade off, I would accept too.

When we won the league back in '80/81....not every game was a spectacle....In fact '77 was more of spectacle when we finished 4th.

In order to win it we had to tighten up and be not so cavalier in our approach.

9 hours ago, Tayls said:

Full Article Here

Tactics are primarily driven by the skill set your team possess....To know what you can and can't do.

Our passing is very good at times, but when the space is closed down the standard of our passing deteriorates....to some degree that is natural, its why the best teams, with the best touch, deal with it better...they can play around the press.

If all our players had Jack Grealish's first touch, we could emulate, the suggestions in the tactics clip .

its interesting that after 8 games we have a similar results data to Sassuolo....where they have drawn 3 we have lost 3. We have scored one goal less and conceded 2 goals more.....fine margins.

We just have to show a little more discipline and less benevolence, a bit more hard nosed....not much wrong with the way we are playing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a trade off, I would accept too.

When we won the league back in '80/81....not every game was a spectacle....In fact '77 was more of spectacle when we finished 4th.

In order to win it we had to tighten up and be not so cavalier in our approach.

That we did but if you asked me hand on heart which one I would pay  money to watch ahead of the other it would be the 77 side

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 20:04, Follyfoot said:

That we did but if you asked me hand on heart which one I would pay  money to watch ahead of the other it would be the 77 side

Dennis Mortimer, at the heart of both . As to be one of the best midfielders never to gain a full England cap. A bloody crime if you ask me. 

On 25/11/2020 at 20:04, Follyfoot said:

so Would I ....but then the European cup would have been forfeited too.

it depends if you want a spectacle or silverware... silverware takes consistency......to get both takes an enormous amount of money.

We were brilliant for 88 minutes, two crosses into the box and we concede 2 goals. Its enough to drive you insane.

Our defence always has a gift or two for the opposition and I really don’t know what the answer is because on paper they are all individually good players.

Â