Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goalkeeper is the number one priority for the day the window opens. The sooner he is replaced with a top keeper the better.  

Not really for this thread and nothing certain but I believe they are working on a keeper already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not really for this thread and nothing certain but I believe they are working on a keeper already.

And to keep it cryptic Trent, I’ll say this in a similar way so that these yahoos don’t figure anything out - but is it a premier league keeper, that isn’t playing at the moment (but probs should be), and plays for a team that sounds an awful lot like Turnley... :detect:

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Goalkeeper, Centreback (for cover at least) and left back are all positions that need addressing in January.

Thats codswallop....we do NOT need a left back!  Unless you want to go down the 'Bruce road' where we now stockpile LBs as Bruce did with RBs.  Keeper and (CBs) are all we need. I think we have had enough of overspending, unless you want Ashley 'bloody' Cole?

3 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Thats codswallop....we do NOT need a left back!  Unless you want to go down the 'Bruce road' where we now stockpile LBs as Bruce did with RBs.  Keeper and (CBs) are all we need. I think we have had enough of overspending, unless you want Ashley 'bloody' Cole?

Could you avoid the abusive, bad language please? You're offending me.

In my opinion we have one left back in the squad, Neil Taylor. And he's not very good. Alan Hutton can fill in there nicely but he seems to be preferred by Smith at RB so it leaves us short on the left.
I don't consider spending money on a position that we need to strengthen as "overspending". 

Nobody said anything about Ashley Cole, nice straw man.

• Like 2

It’s daft having your first choice right back as reserve left back, as it means reshuffling the whole back four of the left back gets injured/suspended. 

We definitely need another left back. And not Ashley Cole. I’m pretty sure that Suso, Smith and Purslow have already identified a shortlist of left backs we want. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Could you avoid the abusive, bad language please? You're offending me.

In my opinion we have one left back in the squad, Neil Taylor. And he's not very good. Alan Hutton can fill in there nicely but he seems to be preferred by Smith at RB so it leaves us short on the left.
I don't consider spending money on a position that we need to strengthen as "overspending". 

Nobody said anything about Ashley Cole, nice straw man.

Glad to hear! Ashley bl**dy Cole.....I hope that's better for you (please don't call you're Social Worker this time) 😊😊

41 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

It’s daft having your first choice right back as reserve left back, as it means reshuffling the whole back four of the left back gets injured/suspended. 

We definitely need another left back. And not Ashley Cole. I’m pretty sure that Suso, Smith and Purslow have already identified a shortlist of left backs we want. 

Clarke (if recalled) can also play there as can Bree!  Keeper and CBs are far more important IMO!

44 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Why do you need to reshuffle the entire back four to change Hutton for Taylor?

All you need to do is replace Hutton, how does it affect the two centre backs??

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Hard to know where to put this, but it's worth watching until the end.

That Hutton goal was just amazing.

Kodjia's wasn't half bad either.

Grealish gets one too to complete the treat.

Wish I was there.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agreed.  We will be well covered at LB especially so if Clarke comes back from loan.  Both Taylor and Hutton have been fine there. Priority should be CB and keeper IMO.  Neither LB have been responsible for any of the recent goals conceded.  Smith knows what he's doing!

57 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Interesting, who's the cover at LB then? You think Taylor gives us enough there?

I think we need 2 CB's as a priority (Elphick coming back is the easy way to do half of that) a left footed good attacking LB, competition for Nyland. That's all pretty essential IMO.

A young technically gifted DM would be perfect too but not essential :D 

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Reshuffle the entire back 4 was an exaggeration. But you ruin the balance moving Hutton to the other side when he’s perfectly settled at right back. The centre backs would need to adapt to Hutton being left back and someone else right back, more to think about. 

If we had a specific left back to cover then they’d only have to adapt to them coming into the team rather than both full backs. 

I thought it was quite a simple concept. 

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

That Hutton goal was just amazing.

Kodjia's wasn't half bad either.

Grealish gets one too to complete the treat.

Wish I was there.

Worst. Haiku. Ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Keeper, centre half is a must. Left back is important but only after the other positions are dealt with. Anything else is a bonus

I’m sure Smith knows what he needs to do. 

Exactly this!....need to sort the major issues first.  I don't think Smith will see a LB as priority.  Having said that, if we still have money available after we sort out keeper and CBs, then why not as long as it's not a shorterm solution ......we have had enough of them. I'M convinced that Smith won't go down that road (thankfully)

Â