Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I like that he said we lost the game. Probably a slip but he considered almost losing

Feels like a defeat.  Must be really deflating for the team to work so hard to take the lead to see concede so poorly.

Players need to take heart from how much character shown and bounce back against Boro. 

Smith looks gutted. I can understand why. I think he’s angry with a few of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate.

I’m loving Smith and I have every confidence he will sort the defensive side of the team out. It needs to be done and he’ll know that.

I’m just struggling to praise him after seeing us concede 5, that’s all.

Well try praising him for getting us to score 5 then? 

I gave him good because we drew against a team higher than us in the league. 

He's got the bare bones most makeshift defence I have seen in my 40 years of regular attendance at Villa Park, he's doing what he can with what he's got back there.  I can't understand how he can be given a poor rating.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate.

I’m loving Smith and I have every confidence he will sort the defensive side of the team out. It needs to be done and he’ll know that.

I’m just struggling to praise him after seeing us concede 5, that’s all.

It was just a random game you get in the championship.

Have to say Forest are a really good team. Full of experience, flair and have goalscorer upfront in Grabban. Very impressed with what I saw from them. I can see them outlasting likes of Derby and Sheffield United and joining us in the play offs.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Well try praising him for getting us to score 5 then? 

I gave him good because we drew against a team higher than us in the league. 

He's got the bare bones most makeshift defence I have seen in my 40 years of regular attendance at Villa Park, he's doing what he can with what he's got back there.  I can't understand how he can be given a poor rating.  

I’ve been praising him pretty much non stop since he joined us.  Surely we’re allowed constructive criticism? It’s not like im giving him abuse.  I’m all for playing attacking football but you’ve gotta set up to be more compact then that against a counter attacking team.

Maybe poor is harsh and average would be better. 

I just feel so gutted we didn’t win that game.

I'm not sure he can really do anything when our defence performs how they did tonight and we already knew it was a mess thanks to Bruce. 

I'm most impressed with just how quickly he's turned us into an attacking powerhouse, is that 20 shots in each of the last 3 games now? Imagine how things could be for us a few months down the line. I can't help but be pleased with things right now, I'm excited to watch us play every week. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'm convinced now that Steve Bruce really did want the bullet from Villa, hence the shocking defence he has left us with! 

The GK I will give you. But most of that defence have international experience - an Chester was a stalwart last season. Can they all just suddenly go shit.

As NV as said the FB'S are so far up the pitch - the defender have few options but to play straight balls - the opposition are and will continue to exploit this.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

The GK I will give you. But most of that defence have international experience - an Chester was a stalwart last season. Can they all just suddenly go shit.

As NV as said the FB'S are so far up the pitch - the defender have few options but to play straight balls - the opposition are and will continue to exploit this.

I think in this instances they need to just go back to keeper. There won’t always be a pass on. 

Its worth remembering that the set up that has seen us ship 7 goals in 2 games is also the set up that has seen us score 9 goals in those same 2 games. 

The problem is not the way Smith sets us up, it's the fact that 4 of the back 5 look like competition winners. That can be addressed in January, until then there is very little he can do. He could revert to a "lump it out" style of defending but that just means holding off how he wants to play until January and then completely changing fact at the business end of the season. I think he is doing the right thing trying to implement his ideas now even though there are a number of players in the squad that aren't suited to it. 

Finally, thank you Dean, I'm enjoying going down VP for the first time in years. 

Cant find the post again, but saw someone critize Smith for taking of Mcginn instead of Hourihane, as much as I like Mcginn, he did not have a brilliant match today, and also has just got back from injury. 

As annoyed as I am that we did not win tonight, I think that people should take a step back and be happy that we have at least become entertaining to watch. We look devastating going forward. Fans were asking for more entertainment and my God has Smith delivered. 

Few more defenders and a goalkeeper in january and stay mostly injury free and who knows what can happen this season? Amazingly fought from our players considering we went behind 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3 !! 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Its worth remembering that the set up that has seen us ship 7 goals in 2 games is also the set up that has seen us score 9 goals in those same 2 games. 

The problem is not the way Smith sets us up, it's the fact that 4 of the back 5 look like competition winners. That can be addressed in January, until then there is very little he can do. He could revert to a "lump it out" style of defending but that just means holding off how he wants to play until January and then completely changing fact at the business end of the season. I think he is doing the right thing trying to implement his ideas now even though there are a number of players in the squad that aren't suited to it. 

Finally, thank you Dean, I'm enjoying going down VP for the first time in years. 

I think our biggest weakness of the back has been Chester. Don’t know whether it’s a fitness thing as he was decent against Bolton and Derby and one of our best players last season but the last two games has massively struggled. 

He could be fighting for his place come January. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

So presumably your expecting a new GK and 3 defenders superior to what we have to arrive in January ?

Â