Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith sounded like he is bottling it on Sky Sports. Apparently we will have 2 top players who are refusing to play due to the health risks. He will not force them to play, so we are double doomed. Haven't heard any other managers admit they can't get players to play??

It makes me wonder how many players will refuse to play. This whole thing gets crazier by the day !! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Apparently we will have 2 top players who are refusing to play due to the health risks.

Our only top player is Jack. Interested to know who other he view as a "top player"

As far as McGinn goes, he was great in the Championship. In PL he has looked average. Same with Mings.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

In the same interview he was saying that he wanted the season to resume so they could get back to playing footall, not sure if I've heard any other managers saying that, at least not any of the ones near the bottom of the table. Didn't sound like he was bottling it to me.

I like that.

At least he isn't hiding.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Our only top player is Jack. Interested to know who other he view as a "top player"

As far as McGinn goes, he was great in the Championship. In PL he has looked average. Same with Mings.

He mentioned one is asthmatic, I got a feeling it's Mings isn't it.

Smith says Villa are eager to get back to playing when it is safe to do so to complete their campaign

"Everybody wants to get back into training but they also want to see what the medical protocols are first," said Smith. "There's a certain risk attached to the return to training for all players and I think they want to make sure they tick the boxes so it's safe to do so.

"We've got a player who is asthmatic, we've got a player whose mother-in-law is in remission and living with the family. You have to be very careful, certainly the transmission knows no boundaries.

"From what I'm told, we have to be led by the government at the moment. There's a lot of hypothetical questions out there at the moment but until we get the guidance from the government about how they want to move forward out of this lockdown there are a lot more questions than there are answers at this moment.

"The players' health and safety is paramount and if they're not comfortable to return then you have to return without them, when it's safe to do so. We have to listen to our players, we have to listen to their concerns. If the protocols say we can move forward then the ones who can do will do so."

Sky football

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He mentioned one is asthmatic, I got a feeling it's Mings isn't it.

Mings has a long way to go before i will ever call him a top player.

Top players doesn't make the amount of mistakes he is making.

• Like 1

We have been hit worse than a lot of Premier League clubs with our masseuse was in a terrible condition in the hospital and Reina saying he had a bad version of the disease. 

I could imagine our players are not too comfortable to play

The Aston Villa boss revealed to The Football Show that one of his players is asthmatic and another has a vulnerable mother-in-law living with the family and there is a real possibility the team could return to training and matches without them.

"Everybody wants to get back into training but they also want to see what the medical protocols are first," said Smith. "There's a certain risk attached to the return to training for all players and I think they want to make sure they tick the boxes so it's safe to do so.

We've got a player who is asthmatic, we've got a player whose mother-in-law is in remission and living with the family. You have to be very careful, certainly the transmission knows no boundaries.

"From what I'm told, we have to be led by the government at the moment. There's a lot of hypothetical questions out there at the moment but until we get the guidance from the government about how they want to move forward out of this lockdown there are a lot more questions than there are answers at this moment.

"The players' health and safety is paramount and if they're not comfortable to return then you have to return without them, when it's safe to do so. We have to listen to our players, we have to listen to their concerns. If the protocols say we can move forward then the ones who can do will do so."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11983418/aston-villa-dean-smith-reveals-some-players-may-be-unavailable-if-premier-league-restarts

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mings has a long way to go before i will ever call him a top player.

Top players doesn't make the amount of mistakes he is making.

He has the potential to be a top player, he has played for England don’t forget

51 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Smith never mentioned the words 'top player' so the above points about top players are irrelevant.

Oh! So he's throwing our players and the board under the buss, indirectly saying we don't have any top players?

Smith out!!

Am I doing this right? :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith sounded like he is bottling it on Sky Sports. Apparently we will have 2 top players who are refusing to play due to the health risks. He will not force them to play, so we are double doomed. Haven't heard any other managers admit they can't get players to play??

Aguero has basically said he won’t...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

EDIT:

Back on topic.

Let's say we stay up.

Dean Smith goes to board and asks for 100m to sign 4 new players to push us up into mid table/8th-9th range.

The crux is said players are good quality internationals but in the 29-31 age range so more short term fixes.

Would the board sanction that or want to stick to under 25 model? Would DS job then be in danger if he felt this was only way he could improve us significantly in 12 months (that would be my strategy anyway if I was in charge).

I think being overly struck on age is a mistake.....the priority should be " is the player good enough".... is the team balanced?

too young or too old attracts their own problems.....but clubs with a moneyball mentality go for young, for that reason.I fear there is an element of that in our thinking.

We should get back to building for the right reasons.

I also have a fear that Dean might be too compliant with what he is offered.

I understand the thinking on long term, but in football if you can't get the short term right, there is no long term....unless you have a phenomenal influx of academy players.

Players won't come unless the short term is right.

football is an unusual model, where the "here and now "is crucial to influence the longer term..... stability can be very easily disrupted, almost unlike other industries.

• Like 1

Imagine the reaction if he said he WAS going to force an asthmatic player and a player who lives with his vulnerable mother to risk their health to play 😬

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine the reaction if he said he WAS going to force an asthmatic player and a player who lives with his vulnerable mother to risk their health to play 😬

Willing to die for the club get's a more serious meaning.

Players reserve the right to protect their health and avoid unnecessary risks.

I guess its difficult for the Government to declare protocols that specifically address footballs issues.....perhaps the league, should seek scientific medical advice.

They should close the season in my view.

Teams playing with first team players missing due to theses risks makes the whole thing a farce.

• Like 1

Smith has bottled it for saying 2 top players are refusing to play. But hang on, our only top player is Jack. But maybe Mcginn and Mings?  Nah they are nowhere near good enough to be called top players. So who could they be?

All this when Smith didn’t even say ‘top’ players.  I love VT 😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith has bottled it for saying 2 top players are refusing to play. But hang on, our only top player is Jack. But maybe Mcginn and Mings?  Nah they are nowhere near good enough to be called top players. So who could they be?

All this when Smith didn’t even say ‘top’ players.  I love VT 😂 

Oh, this is true, but when you see who is using it as a dig it makes sense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Both of them linking up would be pretty good, there were glimpses in the early part of 15-16 after all before Adama got that injury that killed his early momentum here.

He was very young here and not used to senior football but the potential to me was always clear. He should've stayed with us in 16-17 but was immature and he learnt his lesson a year later at Boro when they went down and he stayed. Pulis installed discipline into his game and that helped him get the move to Wolves where he's kick on.

In his career trajectory I really don't see it much different to Jack who showed his potential at end of 14/15 but then struggled under different managers in 15/16 and wasn't even a regular for us up to start of 2017. Then the penny dropped and he's been our key player ever since.

I think your observation is a good one.

but we fans ,do rely on coaches to be prepared to spot potential (that we wouldn't necessarily) and work on it.

Â