Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Adama destroyed us earlier this season, Grealish was bang average in that game. Now that obviously doesn't make Adama "miles better" however he has played more games recently in the PL for a team at the higher end of the table. Grealish hasn't as he plays for a team from the Championship that looks like going back to the Championship!

He ain't miles better than Adama!

2 hours ago, TRO said:

He has proved many of us wrong.....but you would expect coaches to be more switched on, to get from him what Boro and Wolves did.

I just think this is something you can say about so many players. Salah at Chelsea. Platt at United. Etc etc. Players just develop at different rates and hit their best for different clubs. Personally I’d always rather give more time then less, but the Adama/Adomah trade nearly got us up that season. So you’re always balancing short term need vs long term prospect I guess. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Adama destroyed us earlier this season, Grealish was bang average in that game. Now that obviously doesn't make Adama "miles better" however he has played more games recently in the PL for a team at the higher end of the table. Grealish hasn't as he plays for a team from the Championship that looks like going back to the Championship!

He ain't miles better than Adama!

He absolutely is miles better. If/when jack leaves us this summer he’ll be going for like 80 million quid. There’s a reason 

He is a far more complete player than Adama. 

I can’t believe this is even a discussion

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Adomah did very well in his first season here and then had the goal spree in first half of 2017 but after that I thought his performances really dipped even if he still remained a regular.

As much as we were patting ourselves on the back for the swop deal, Albert was another of those we just signed as a short term fix. It's not like we got rid of him due to age like Jedinak and Whelan as he was only 31 at the start of the season.

I agreed with releasing him but thought we'd get a top quality wide player in, doubt he'd have offered that much less than Trez so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He absolutely is miles better. If/when jack leaves us this summer he’ll be going for like 80 million quid. There’s a reason 

He is a far more complete player than Adama. 

I can’t believe this is even a discussion

Haha you brought it up 😉

EDIT:

Back on topic.

Let's say we stay up.

Dean Smith goes to board and asks for 100m to sign 4 new players to push us up into mid table/8th-9th range.

The crux is said players are good quality internationals but in the 29-31 age range so more short term fixes.

Would the board sanction that or want to stick to under 25 model? Would DS job then be in danger if he felt this was only way he could improve us significantly in 12 months (that would be my strategy anyway if I was in charge).

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

NOT HAD TO DO THIS FOR A WHILE, CAN WE GET IT BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE

Quite right, Dean Smith has a lot of work to do for sure.

He said today on Sky Sports he has analysed most of our matches and spoken at length to all of the players.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

I couldn't see us getting anywhere near 80m for him if we went down and add in very uncertain transfer market. 50m + I'd be more than delighted with.

Similar range to what Wolves would probably get if the cashed in on Adama. Man. City were linked in January.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/wolves/latest-transfer-news-adama-traore/

In a world before coronavirus I think Grealish’s transfer would be setting a British transfer record IF we stayed up. Which is a better comparison to that link. 

Yes we’d get less if we went down. But the reason is because we went down, not Grealish being less good

32 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Suck up, always one lol 😋

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He said today on Sky Sports he has analysed most of our matches and spoken at length to all of the players.

I'm wondering to what lengths he has spoken to John Terry. I'm not suggesting that Smith undermine his position and authority by confiding in Terry if it weren't in our best interest. However, Terry has undoubtedly the most insight as to what it's like to play for a top tier side and succeed within the Aston Villa setup. His counsel could be invaluable right now. Smith needs us to improve defensively, so I hope there's an in depth and serious dialogue that Terry is involved in with regards to that. Terry is, and has worked with, the best at defense. Then we look at motivation and mentality of the playing staff. Terry has been in numerous setups where this element of success would've been the highest the game knew at the time. I just hope Smith is actively engaged with using all his resources to the best of their ability, as well as to the best of his ability. We're going to need it for the remainder.

Edited by A'Villan

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

EDIT:

Back on topic.

Let's say we stay up.

Dean Smith goes to board and asks for 100m to sign 4 new players to push us up into mid table/8th-9th range.

The crux is said players are good quality internationals but in the 29-31 age range so more short term fixes.

Would the board sanction that or want to stick to under 25 model? Would DS job then be in danger if he felt this was only way he could improve us significantly in 12 months (that would be my strategy anyway if I was in charge).

The 29 to 31 year old player is a very short term investment, its fine as long as big money isn't involved. 

23 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The 29 to 31 year old player is a very short term investment, its fine as long as big money isn't involved. 

Doing that you're basically admitting you have f***ed up and going into a totally different transfer model.

Wouldn't look good on the board at all.

People seriously need to get this "experience" non sense out of their head. We did that when we got relegated with the likes of Richardson, Joe Cole, Senderos, Lescott. They made us worse, not better.

Our problem is the coaching. They look totally inept at this level. Some of our players are also nowhere near good enough, but that has nothing to do with age.

• Like 1

Smith sounded like he is bottling it on Sky Sports. Apparently we will have 2 top players who are refusing to play due to the health risks. He will not force them to play, so we are double doomed. Haven't heard any other managers admit they can't get players to play??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith sounded like he is bottling it on Sky Sports. Apparently we will have 2 top players who are refusing to play due to the health risks. He will not force them to play, so we are double doomed. Haven't heard any other managers admit they can't get players to play??

I think it’s admirable honesty from the manager

In the same interview he was saying that he wanted the season to resume so they could get back to playing footall, not sure if I've heard any other managers saying that, at least not any of the ones near the bottom of the table. Didn't sound like he was bottling it to me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

In the same interview he was saying that he wanted the season to resume so they could get back to playing footall, not sure if I've heard any other managers saying that, at least not any of the ones near the bottom of the table. Didn't sound like he was bottling it to me.

If we take the rose tinted glasses off, or if it was another manager, I think most would be saying, he claims to want to carry on, but without 2 key players its not his fault if we get relegated.

• Haha 1

Â