Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

It took Pulis and then Nuno to add discipline and then end product to his game

Maybe a bit bitter after he tore Targett apart but I did think for the amount of times he skinned him and got in a great position his end product still wasn't that good... 

I would be interested in a full analytical and statistical breakdown of him, goals, assists, chances created, ball carries, men beaten, successful crosses etc and then the chance created at the end of a run stat which Jack is really high on

I still think a large number of his flashy runs where he beats a man end up going nowhere, because he's exciting the 2 times that he produces something isn't being diluted by the 8 times he doesn't 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

No.

By all accounts Nuno taking him under his wing has had a huge impact. No guaratee he would have got that here.

Some players just adapt to wherever they play, regardless of who is the manager, the best ones do anyway

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For Villa? Whenever he played for us, you could see that he had a lot of potential, he is realising it now at Wolves

Yes. he had huge potential. He was still shit when he played though. He was incredibly raw and played without a brain.

Having potential doesn't mean you are playing well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Traore would be performing to the same standard that he is at Wolves in our current Villa side?

Its hard to say.....there are a number of factors to consider.

• Has he just developed himself and improved his game and confidence?
  • Did our coaches, spend insufficient time with him?
  • Was boro and wolves, better balanced sides for him to harness his talent.?
  • Did Pulis and Nuno invest more time in to him.

just a few questions we don't really know.

but you could equally ask the question......would Jack have been as good as is, if he had of gone elsewhere?

tough questions.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Some players just adapt to wherever they play, regardless of who is the manager, the best ones do anyway

Exactly. But he isn't one of them, imo.

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He wasn’t ****! You could see he had a lot of potential when he played at Villa, he is showing it now at Wolves

He was a liability in terms of giving the ball away cheaply....much like some we have now.

He was an unfinished player, who many thought, would never be the finished article.

He has proved many of us wrong.....but you would expect coaches to be more switched on, to get from him what Boro and Wolves did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was a liability in terms of giving the ball away cheaply....much like some we have now.

He was an unfinished player, who many thought, would never be the finished article.

He has proved many of us wrong.....but you would expect coaches to be more switched on, to get from him what Boro and Wolves did.

Adama is proving us all wrong with his current level of performances for Wolves, he’s a joy to watch now, one of the best in the league

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Traore? Do you think Grealish is? If not, who is?

You said “the best” players adapt to wherever they play. 
if you’re asking me whether Traore falls into the category of “the best players” then no, he absolutely does not fit into that category. 

Yes Grealish does. Grealish is head and shoulders a better player than Traore. 

• Thanks 1

We certainly need a rapid player in final third if we're to get more points off the top 6 next season.

Thinking about it add Gary Cahill, Adama and Gana to the main 11 we've had this season and I reckon that would be good enough to put us in similar position to Newcastle and Palace.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We certainly need a rapid player in final third if we're to get more points off the top 6 next season.

Thinking about it add Gary Cahill, Adama and Gana to the main 11 we've had this season and I reckon that would be good enough to put us in similar position to Newcastle and Palace.

Or if we could defend corners , which is as much down to organisation as quality of player we would be higher, but yes those players would also help.

IMO an experienced CB was needed even Mings at little PL exposure to have 4 like that was nuts , pointless have 2 exp keepers in Reina and Heaton if what's in front has no exp.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For Villa? Whenever he played for us, you could see that he had a lot of potential, he is realising it now at Wolves

I couldn't. Then again people use the word potential pretty loosely. 

Anyway it's not exactly new that some players just thrive better at different clubs, or smaller clubs for that matter. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

I couldn't. 

When he was at Villa, he could outpace the opposition but he didn’t have the end product that he has now at Wolves. Maybe it didn’t really work out at Villa because he was new to the country and was just bedding in. Now he had settled in, we are seeing the player perform to his full potential. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong, I am interested to know other’s opinions on this 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They are. But Grealish is still absolutely miles better

Both of them linking up would be pretty good, there were glimpses in the early part of 15-16 after all before Adama got that injury that killed his early momentum here.

He was very young here and not used to senior football but the potential to me was always clear. He should've stayed with us in 16-17 but was immature and he learnt his lesson a year later at Boro when they went down and he stayed. Pulis installed discipline into his game and that helped him get the move to Wolves where he's kick on.

In his career trajectory I really don't see it much different to Jack who showed his potential at end of 14/15 but then struggled under different managers in 15/16 and wasn't even a regular for us up to start of 2017. Then the penny dropped and he's been our key player ever since.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

Â