Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I was quite encouraged by our performance last night. Much better than the utter directionless tripe Bruce had us playing. It will turn around for us for sure. 

Agreed, in a very short space of time you can see a difference and clear direction for where Smith wants to take us, it's promising, despite the lack of headline results.

• Like 1

I think we are trying to press more without the ball, and we are clearly trying to pass the ball more when we have it, working it through the middle and not just down the line. I thought in the middle of the pitch we were fine last night, controlled the game. Our problems are in either box, which unfortunately are the key areas.

The defensive issues have been done to death, the state Bruce left the back 4 in is shocking.

However, the lack of goals is a concern given the players we have. We seem to work it up to the box well, and then just run out of ideas. A lack of movement, and on our heels too much when balls go in the box. Too often Jack had the ball 25 yards out and it was like everyone else was just waiting for him to do something, which is a hangover from Bruce.

If you are going to pass the ball better, you also need the receivers to create space, to make runs to enable the passes to be made. We are not doing that in the final 3rd.

Our final ball, whether it be a cross or shot is also poor. We missed a load of good chances against Swansea, we created good opportunities early on at Norwich that weren't taken and we created some good chances again last night that weren't converted. You have to make the most of them, particularly away from home. We have a distinct lack of killer instinct.

• Like 2

I think it's a very clear and visible difference in how we look and try to play already after this short time with Smith.

It's a more coherent team who both attack and defend more as a unit than before. The pressing, and number of players committed in attack is the biggest difference. The defending also starts higher up the field than before.

Movement on and off the ball is better, although yesterday during the second half of the game it reverted back to form sadly with no one seeming interested when Nyland tried to start attacks quickly.

Our big failing in possession is on the flanks where we simply lack quality with the current players starting.

And in defense we are short in numbers and quality, same with GK.

It will take time to turn this around, but I do feel you can see what we are trying to move towards.

• Like 2

We are pressing a lot higher and in numbers, the defensive line is higher and there is a clear emphasis on retaining possession, as mentioned by DC just look at how many passses our CBs are making.

We look sloppy and a little disjointed at times on the ball but this is too be expected whilst they become acustomed to the tactics. To say noticing a change is down to confirmation bias is somewhat mind boggling.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It really isn't. And it's a little insulting to suggest this just because you haven't seen what others have.

Last night every player in our back 4 attempted over 60 passes each. I've checked the stats and as i suspected, we haven't come close to that in a single game under bruce this season. I suspect it would probably be the case for the majority of games under Bruce. We very clearly are attempting to keep the ball more, starting with our defenders. 

I believe that we're changing, it's visible to me. I also accept that because I desperately want things to change I'm placing a greater focus on certain passages of play rather than others.

In my opinion .... Dean Smith unsurprisingly hasn't yet got his team selection right. The style of play he's starting to implement will become more obvious when he does pick more of the right players. It's disappointing that Bjarnason has picked up a groin injury, because I think his movement and industry are important to the way DS wants our central midfield to operate. (Whelan is never going to be a fluid midfield engine)

Hutton  at RB and Elmo at RW leave us technically deficient on the whole of the right flank when they play together. Taylor at LB is the same, but may have to play due to no obvious replacement. Thats 75% of our flank play controlled by three inadequate ball players! For now Bree or Elmo at RB might offer us more solidity at the back while enabling a proper attacking pair of wingers to increase our 'chances' rate. (shame about Adomah's injury, let's hope he shakes it off)

It may well be that we will have to wait until January to start to replace these players, but in the meantime perhaps we could think about using either Lansbury or O'Hare to shake up the "dead areas" of our midfield.

Smith has a big job to do. A number of players that he feels he currently has to use are simply not up to the demands he will place on them. I can see we're changing, but to convert that change into regular wins will take time.

• Like 1

The problem we have is Smith wants to play a certain way which needs all players to be comfortable on the ball. This was not a key requirement for the previous manager so we are left with a lot of players who will struggle. They are all professional footballers so if they can’t cope with the ball under pressure now then they never will be able to. It can’t be coached. 

A team like Leeds have been able to adopt to Biesla’s possession game without new additions because previous managers had signed players to play the same way.  They are all comfortable on the ball.

Smith will need to make a lot of changes and will need 2 windows. Until then it will be  struggle.

• Like 2

Is anybody seriously suggesting we haven’t changed how we play under Smith? They need to go to spec savers if they are. 

We are trying to keep the ball and only going long as a last resort. It’s clear the players have been instructed to do this. I’m not saying it’s working but it’s definitely a different approach to the one under Bruce.

So they are being coached to play a certain way.  They are just very uncomfortable playing it at the back. 

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't see it, sorry.

I think the flank work is particularly woeful.

I am talking about 90 odd minutes by the way.

1) Smith has asked them to play a different style than Bruce - ball retention, higher pressing, quicker movement. It’s already clear that this is happening and it’s a much more attractive style of play and hopefully will be more successful.  Are you really unable to see that we are playing differently already?

2) Smith had inherited a squad built by Bruce for one style of play and will need to replace a number better suited to his style. Yes the ‘flank work’ is woeful - Kodija is no wideman but has been shoehorned in to do a job, Elmo can’t beat a man (ever) and Taylor is hopeless (I suspect Smith has seen enough of Taylor and will change things next time). Hutton is trying but doesn’t have the legs.

IMO before we sign GK or CB we need to sign a couple of wide players/wing back. Young, energetic and quick to better suit the required style

El Ghazi and Bolasie to me look unfit and look like they will never work back - they are available on loan for a reason

As predicted, Bruce built a wildly unbalanced squad full of players who are nearly over, or over the hill Whelan, Jedinak, Hutton, Elmo and relied on loanees at the expense of bringing through youth. 

I’m not yet a Smith fan, but I can appreciate already what he is trying to do and understand the terribly difficult task he has inherited 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

1) Smith has asked them to play a different style than Bruce - ball retention, higher pressing, quicker movement. It’s already clear that this is happening and it’s a much more attractive style of play and hopefully will be more successful.  Are you really unable to see that we are playing differently already?

2) Smith had inherited a squad built by Bruce for one style of play and will need to replace a number better suited to his style. Yes the ‘flank work’ is woeful - Kodija is no wideman but has been shoehorned in to do a job, Elmo can’t beat a man (ever) and Taylor is hopeless (I suspect Smith has seen enough of Taylor and will change things next time). Hutton is trying but doesn’t have the legs.

IMO before we sign GK or CB we need to sign a couple of wide players/wing back. Young, energetic and quick to better suit the required style

El Ghazi and Bolasie to me look unfit and look like they will never work back - they are available on loan for a reason

As predicted, Bruce built a wildly unbalanced squad full of players who are nearly over, or over the hill Whelan, Jedinak, Hutton, Elmo and relied on loanees at the expense of bringing through youth. 

I’m not yet a Smith fan, but I can appreciate already what he is trying to do and understand the terribly difficult task he has inherited 

That's where I am as well.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Stats are just stats and taken out of context they are meaningless at best, but.

Yesterday we had 68% possession

85% pass completion

And 79% pass completion in the attacking 3rd

All this means diddly squat since we lost the game, but it's pretty far from the kind of stats we used to see under Bruce for the most part.

And it can't come as a surprise to anyone who watched the game because we tried to play a totally different kind of football.

Yeah but we haven’t changed the way we play under Smith yet... oh wait ??

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Stats are just stats and taken out of context they are meaningless at best, but.

85% pass completion

All this means diddly squat since we lost the game, but it's pretty far from the kind of stats we used to see under Bruce for the most part.

And it can't come as a surprise to anyone who watched the game because we tried to play a totally different kind of football.

But I'll give you an example from last season. We beat wolves at home. Emotionally charged game. We were bang up for it. Individuals came to the fore. Then 3 nights later against last night's opponents at villa park ( who were battling relegation deep into the season ) we got turned over and beaten 3-1, possibly should of being more. No shape. Terrible on the ball. Look like we met for the first time in the dressing room. I'm very encouraged for next Friday night that in only 3 games we are bringing training ground play to match day instead of winging it.

36 minutes ago, sne said:

85% pass completion

Very encouraging. If we can keep those kind of stats up then the wins will come. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In the 270 odd minutes he has managed us I'd say for 180 of them we have played very well. That probably equates to the same amount of time we had played really well in the 6 months before he arrived.

Given he will have had less than a handful of days working with the players on the training ground the turnaround in the way we are now playing has been excellent.

I am excited to see us next Friday after a weeks training. I am sure though we continue on the path we have started under Smith that the results will come.

I absolutely agree with all of this. 

Btw, great to see mature and educated opinions ( in the main ) on here regarding where we are and what we are trying to do. Not the " we lost so he's useless " stuff. I don't think Smith needs 6-8 weeks either as purslow said to sit down with pitarch and identify what/where we need to strengthen.  If imagine he has a fair idea already.

Went to the game last night and was pretty annoyed with the result... in saying that the performance was largely pretty good. I'm pretty hopeful that we will see a fair bit of progress on Friday with Smith having a full week with the team.

People need to realise that although Smith has a way of playing football he doesn't have the players for it. He hasn't had a transfer window with the club and until January this is the best we have.

Position wise:

GK - Nyland has struggled but I think he is the best we have, we need to give him until January to gain some form and then take another look at the situation. I am hopeful it is similar to Johnstone's inital struggles and he will soon come good. As a shot stopper he is very good.

RB - Hutton is currently playing there but is struggling at time. He get's forward well but has little end product, and is often caught out of position defensively. Going forward I want to see Bree given a run at right back, I think he would suit this style of football better as he is good on the ball. If we can get Bree in the side before January it is an area we don't have to worry about.

LB - In my opinion Taylor has been pretty average, last night he was poor. Having a left footed player at left back helps us at times, unfortunately he is very one footed. It's a position that needs strengthening as going forward he doesn't suit the 'Dean Smith way'.

CB - Tuanzebe is superb, how he wasn't played at centre back all season is criminal. Chester is having a blip, he will come good. I think Chester is currently struggling with the amount of possession he is having, he isn't a ball playing defender as Tuanzebe is. They will get better which is the main thing. Massively an area that we need to strengthen come January.

CM - For me our centre midfield should rotate between 4 players. Bjarnasson, McGinn, Hourihane and Lansbury (last chance saloon). Unfortunately Whelan and Jedinak no longer fit in with what we are trying to do and hinder us. Bring them on to shut out games with 10 minutes to go by all means, but we have 4 midfielders who can play attacking football and we need to utilise them.

CAM - Grealish all day here, although I would like to see O'Hare brought through soon. Grealish looked a lot more lively last night, he just needs some movement around him to help him.

RW - Elmo is a limited winger, he's not what we need but he is doing a fairly decent job. Unfortunately the other wingers in our squad aren't up to much. We desperately need to get Bolasie firing and to do that we need to give him 90 minutes instead of cameo appearances. I wouldn't mind seeing O'Hare tried on the right, or give a chance to El Ghazi (again cameo's are no good).

LW - Adomah is looking better this season and has the left hand side tied down in my opinion. Again he is limited as a winger with a poor final delivery but you can tell the team have missed him since his injury. Again for me I would try out a youngster if needs be Blackett-Taylor or give El Ghazi a chance. Kodjia is wasted out on the left and should no longer be played there.

ST - Abraham is by far the best striker in our squad but we have a great option in Kodjia. Hogan needs to be brought in only once we have the possesion based football nailed down. I think Davis could do a job in games holding up the ball, Abraham struggled last night.

I don’t want to pile on Hutton because I think he’s done a serviceable job for us under Bruce, but we have to get some outside backs. Taylor and Hutton provide zero support for the midfielders and forwards and we have to have ball playing fullbacks in this system. 

• Like 1

Â