Dean Smith

Demitri_C

From what I have seen there is plenty to be hopeful about in the short space of time Smith has been in charge.

Looking at today's game in particular we carried an attacking threat, we looked dangerous, we had our best passing stats that I can remember and had a lot more touches in their box. How many times has that happened in recent Villa away performances.

Imagine what Smith can do once he has more time to coach the players and brings his own players in.

Believe in Smith!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The facts are in three games smith has done no better than Bruce. That’ is true. But it’s not all his fault because of the garbage Bruce left him with. 

its how you judge it, we have put the ball on the ground and tried to play. Hell of a lot more positive than Bruce

people forget Bruce won one of his last 10 games

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

But its probably the one that matters most.

Seriously ?

Fair enough, if you view football as nothing more than the win column and the defeats column.

But for those who view it as more complex, and more infinitely interesting, than that, there are many other dimensions.

To take just one....actually enjoying the way ones team play.

To take another....developing a way of playing that makes the most of the skills of your players.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The facts are in three games smith has done no better than Bruce. That’ is true. But it’s not all his fault because of the garbage Bruce left him with. 

That’s not a fact, let alone facts plural. “ done no better”......by what yardstick ? What are you comparing to ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

No one is saying its his fault......we are talking about what we have seen.

its as simple as that......and some of us don't agree.

For me its clear to see we have improved even over 3 games. Theres a few players that are struggling but Smith will need time to sort out who can play where and if they can play his style given a bit of time adjusting. 

Taylor was one of those players tonight but we can't really judge him over such a short time after not playing for so long. Nyland as well , needs time to see if he can make the grade. Hutton...Elmo all need time to see if they can adjust .

Abraham was disappointing tonight , he fluffed his lines tbh , and if he does that in the position he was playing then it cost us. He's young though so it is to be expected . Think Kodja should start up front next game and I'm surprised I'm saying that because I haven't been a fan of his work rate in the past, tonight he put the effort in .

Grealish needs more positional sense , he's being pulled far to deep in his desire to influence the game, then when we break hes not in a position to create the chances he's capable of .

Smith's doing ok, I can see the change already UTV 

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah.....it was reflective in the result.

I think it's sad that your gauge of progress is so black and white and your level of expectation for a team of villa players who are continually called one of the best sides in the championship ( even though you , me and the dog in the street know hand on heart that's an absolute myth ) is ridiculous. We've did more right things tonight than we have in a long while . 

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Seriously ?

Fair enough, if you view football as nothing more than the win column and the defeats column.

But for those who view it as more complex, and more infinitely interesting, than that, there are many other dimensions.

To take just one....actually enjoying the way ones team play.

To take another....developing a way of playing that makes the most of the skills of your players.

Terry.....its all about individual viewing of the game and the interpretations gleaned.

I have always felt performances lead to results.

I am not trying to be awkward mate but all the things you mentioned, if it was so, we would have won.

We all lose games for reasons.....usually not doing things well enough or the opposition doing better.

I just happen to think, that if we was doing all the things well enough, we would have got a result against them and Norwich.

If the defence had of aquitted themselves in the same manner as against Swansea, we would have secured a result in both cases.

by the way......i am talking about the games, not our development.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah.....it was reflective in the result.

You are actually saying that we couldn’t be doing those things better, because we didn’t Win ? 

Had any other Poster said that I’d ignore it, but for you to say it......I’ve heard everything now.

To summarise.....

TRO - ” I saw no improvement in XYZ....that’s why I’m critical”

Poster - ”I, and many others, DID see improvements”

TRO - ” You couldn’t have done, because we lost”

?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Terry.....its all about individual viewing of the game and the interpretations gleaned.

I have always felt performances lead to results.

I am not trying to be awkward mate but all the things you mentioned, if it was so, we would have won.

We all lose games for reasons.....usually not doing things well enough or the opposition doing better.

I just happen to think, that if we was doing all the things well enough, we would have got a result against them and Norwich.

If the defence had of aquitted themselves in the same manner as against Swansea, we would have secured a result in both cases.

by the way......i am talking about the games, not our development.

That’s just plain silly.

For the nth post in a few minutes you are literally saying “ if we’d played well we’d have won “.

To be honest, I can’t think of any further response that would be polite, so I’ll leave it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You are actually saying that we couldn’t be doing those things better, because we didn’t Win ? 

Had any other Poster said that I’d ignore it, but for you to say it......I’ve heard everything now.

To summarise.....

TRO - ” I saw no improvement in XYZ....that’s why I’m critical”

Poster - ”I, and many others, DID see improvements”

TRO - ” You couldn’t have done, because we lost”

?

What do want me to do Terry, come on here and lie.

I have said it will take time......In his first week Dean said they never worked with the ball, and then half his squad he had 1 training session due to international duties.

He then had a game on Tuesday so hardly any training then.

For me....he has simply had no time.

I am interested in seeing improvement that are things dear to me.....what i think will affect results.

I think Dean Smith will in time deal with those things.....if you and others see improvement, bully for you.....its no issue.

However, my first criteria is winning games and until we do that, i will only feel aesthetically satisified.....and sadly, i didn't even feel that, sorry.

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It’s laughable that your sole criteria as to whether anything has improved is that we didn’t Win........I’ve never heard any fan of any Club express such a simplistic view of football.

So what do you improve for?, the visual fetish.

show me the fan that appreciates the improvement of their team, but they don't win.

your in danger of the laugh being on you Terry.

look you seen improvement and are happy with it.

I didn't( of any significance) and I am not happy......I never am happy losing, sorry.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

So what do you improve for?, the visual fetish.

show me the fan that appreciates the improvement of their team, but they don't win.

your in danger of the laugh being on you Terry.

look you seen improvement and are happy with it.

I didn't( of any significance) and I am not happy......I never am happy losing, sorry.

Whether you saw any improvement or not is up to you. I said earlier as regards that, we must be watching different games. But that’s opinions.

Whether people would prefer improvements or Points is also opinions. Again, I think one brings the other.

I think we’ve played more football in three games than in two years under Bruce. But again, that's opinions.

But you have gone much much further than that. And it’s that which I’ve commented on as being laughable.

You have said - in multiple Posts - that we CANT have improved, because we didn’t Win.

That remains both laughable and incredibly simplistic.

Im not at all sure what I’ve said that you think anyone would find funny.

• Like 1

The way I see it is like this:

We've won one (H) and lost two (A) - I can't see us doing any better with Bruce in charge. 

The football has improved in terms of how we are trying to play - however, results are what ultimately count and we're 3 points from 9. 

Smith has to be given time because Bruce left him with a threadbare defence to work with. Read it and weap until January. 

• Like 1

Are people seriously already getting on Smith's back ? after 3 games in one week? I seriously hope our fans are not that pathetic. It takes more than a week or two to implement a style, and it must be seriously difficult getting a fluid style with players such as Hutton and Taylor etc. 

There are improvements in our playing style, if you can't see it, then you dont want to see it or have unrealistic expectations, but improvements haven't been massive, which is expected when a manager has had only a few proper session with the players.

• Like 2

Â