Dean Smith

Demitri_C

42 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agree. Hope it comes right, I really do, but the risk is there for all to see... change managers and systems mid season and there will be defeats.

To be clear, this does not represent support for Bruce, he had to go, but lose too many and it won't matter how pretty we are because the confidence will be shot and the losing will become automatic.

'Some good progress' has to rapidly morph into consistently winning sooner rather than later.

That is exactly my point to a tee.

Yes we don't have the players to play how he wants to play but Smith is doing the right thing trying to implement his idead straight away. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yes we don't have the players to play how he wants to play but Smith is doing the right thing trying to implement his idead straight away. 

I will go along with that.....I never expected him to turn these frogs in to prince's

He will get it right, but it will take time....how long?....no idea.

There was one moment when we played it out from the back in a very natural fluent way which almost resulted in a goal. I have not seen that here for a very long time so I say keep going DS, take the losses on the chin, get some players swapped in Jan and treat this season as a warm up to the next. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I will go along with that.....I never expected him to turn these frogs in to prince's

He will get it right, but it will take time....how long?....no idea.

Nor did i. But it would be wrong to play a style that suits these players only to then try a change it after January once he has signed a few players. 

It's best to get his ideas across now ao that his January signings fit straight into a established way of trying play. 

Now that is going to mean mistakes because people like Taylor, Hutton, Whelan etc simply can't play this way, but he still has to try. 

Bruce got over 2yrs before people got on his back, providing we see continued improvement Smith should at least get the same. 

10 hours ago, hippo said:

So we have change the manager - and now we have to change all the players - I thought this top notch coach and master tactician would be able to deliver more with what he has . If he can't keep this squad top half thats a concern for me. 

Hippo, This squad needs rebuilding.....It has good bits and not so good bits......That defence will bring down anything that is being built.....He has to start there.

Any Manager coming in, would have had the same problem.

I seen some of the expressions on the coaches faces last night and to me it did not represent joyous smiling faces....it represented an admission of loads of hard work ahead.

I don't have a great deal of time for Steve McLaren, but he confessed to rebuilding his defence and said "you have to start at the back".......so do we.

I understand what Dean Smith is trying to do, but I feared from day one, we haven't got the defence to create a platform to do it.....I fear he may have to just grab some wins from somewhere, just to keep the confidence levels protected.

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

Nor did i. But it would be wrong to play a style that suits these players only to then try a change it after January once he has signed a few players. 

It's best to get his ideas across now ao that his January signings fit straight into a established way of trying play. 

Now that is going to mean mistakes because people like Taylor, Hutton, Whelan etc simply can't play this way, but he still has to try. 

Bruce got over 2yrs before people got on his back, providing we see continued improvement Smith should at least get the same. 

I couldn't possibly agree with you more if I tried.

but then I can't come out and wax lyrical about the improvements if I think they are modest.....Its not a criticism, its just my opinion.

I never felt that Dean Smith would get what he wants out of this squad and he will need several windows.

but equally, if he Temporarily set a team up to get a win, you would get no criticism from me.

He has a difficult task and I am right behind him....but in my enthusiasm to see it work for him, I am not going to write stuff to appease the populist vote....I will stay true to my beliefs.

If we come out in the next game and defy the oppositions attempts to close us down, in any style he chooses, i will be more than pleased.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

firstly, the contrast in the Preston game between the first and second half is Stark.

secondly, if we are passing in our own half or where we are in low danger to the opposition, your stats become cosmetic.

I am all for the football that you crave.....I am on board.

I like Dean Smith, I like the style he developed at Brentford, I like the players he bought and developed.

I have been talking about the last 2 defeats....no goals scored and easily closed down .....Its still Bruces team imo.

Didnt we get a goal against Norwich?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is exactly my point to a tee.

Odd, because the Poster is saying “ some good progress” has to morph into results ( something with which everyone would agree).

You have been saying there has been no progress visible to you, and there can’t have been because we didn’t Win.

Id respectfully suggest the point he is making couldn’t be further removed from the one you’ve been making. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If you are asking me if I want a winning team first, in my criteria.

I would be a liar if I said different.

I don't see where we are going if we are not winning....simplistic as it may be, its what the end game is.

Steve Bruce lost his job, because we were not winning enough games and languishing in the bottom half of the table.

go and tell the Man City and Liverpool fans that winning doesn't matter the style is great.

After one week you “ don’t see where we are going if we aren’t winning “.

So after one week the only way you’d have seen we were going anywhere is if we’d been winning. Well we Won 1. Did we need to Win all 3 for us to be “ going somewhere “ ? ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There was one moment when we played it out from the back in a very natural fluent way which almost resulted in a goal. I have not seen that here for a very long time so I say keep going DS, take the losses on the chin, get some players swapped in Jan and treat this season as a warm up to the next. 

I’ve seen it before. At least 5 times in three games.

Ive even written them down. Over 15 passes each time, each one resulting in a goal attempt.

If I strain my memory I might remember one from the last two years before that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah, more than once, about 90% of what we played was 2 touch FFS, I honestly can't remember us playing like that for so long. When we were knocking it about it was one touch to control it and the second to give it and then move into space. I was almost rubbing my eyes at times. 2 weeks ago whenever a player had the ball they had to hit it 50 yards to try and get out of trouble as they never had a simple pass on. Every time they had the ball last night they had one or two simple passes on all the way up to the final third. Such a massive turnaround so fast, if you think about it he's had virtually no time to work with them properly yet. First couple of days he had 12 players to work with and said it was off the ball work. Then maybe a day with all of them before the first game, then recovery and maybe a couple of sessions, a game and the same again before last night.

That's no time at all. .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling we will blow Bolton away on Friday. Just a hunch. 

There is definite progress in the style and cohesion in the team. We quite clearly have a game plan on the pitch, which is significant improvement. The results will follow. 

We won’t win them all, but playing like we did last night it’ll be much easier accepting defeat with renewed optimism!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You seem to be changing the discussion. Your original point was that you can't see any difference in how we play. It was pointed out to you that we are clearly trying to pass the ball more and build from the back. 

No one has claimed it works brilliantly so far. Everyone accepts this is still a bruce team and it will take time. But clearly there has been a change and for the first time in a long time, we have played with a consistent style in consecutive matches. It's clear that we are trying to build something now, rather than roll our sleeves up and hope for magic of one of our better players. 

No, I'm not.....if its aesthetically different, but similar results, i.e still being easily closed down and relieved of the ball, that's where i may be struggling to see what you see, if  few shots on target during a game is improvement, then we may have different degree's of what improvement is.....I didn't expect to see much, its too soon.

It started by commenting on the game.....and it has drifted in to what Deano will be doing in the future.

I knew from day one that Dean would be trying to pass the ball more in area's that hurt the opposition and building from the back.

its fair to say, you see what you see much clearer than me at present.

I still see Steve Bruce traits, so I am not going to kid myself by saying different....maybe, when the changes appear more pronounced and clearer to me I will join in.

Make this clear.....I don't rate some of these players Steve Bruce or Dean Smith had/has to coach....yes they are Bruce signings, but I was in doubt that DS could change some of them for the better....However,he still might given more than 5 minutes as he has had.

Please try and distinguish between commenting on the game and what is to be expected from the future....commenting on the game in such a short timescale is not an assault on Dean Smith and his coaches work.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, I'm not.....if its aesthetically different, but similar results, i.e still being easily closed down and relieved of the ball, that's where i may be struggling to see what you see, if  few shots on target during a game is improvement, then we may have different degree's of what improvement is.....I didn't expect to see much, its too soon.

It started by commenting on the game.....and it has drifted in to what Deano will be doing in the future.

I knew from day one that Dean would be trying to pass the ball more in area's that hurt the opposition and building from the back.

its fair to say, you see what you see much clearer than me at present.

I still see Steve Bruce traits, so I am not going to kid myself by saying different....maybe, when the changes appear more pronounced and clearer to me I will join in.

Make this clear.....I don't rate some of these players Steve Bruce or Dean Smith as coach....yes they are Bruce signings, but I was in doubt that DS could change them for the better....However,he still might given more than 5 minutes as he has had.

Please try and distinguish between commenting on the game and what is to be expected from the future....commenting on the game in such a short timescale is not an assault on Dean Smith and his coaches work.

Can't see where you're coming from here, it's not aesthetics, it's a practical solution to being easily closed down and relieved of the ball. We WANT them to come and press us at the back, it's the whole point, then we move it quickly and exploit the gaps they leave pressing us. We did get pressed, we want that, but we were absolutely not relieved of the ball easily at all.

DS has already changed the collective play massively after a handful of training sessions. Bruce had 2 years and they still looked like they'd just met in the car park. 

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think Calum O'Hare could do a job on the wing.

links well with other players and he moves around the pitch to find space.

I would really consider him for the Bolton match.

I doubt it. I can’t recall him ever playing on the wing. Good prospect but only in a more central position 

Â