Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. Ok, I don't live a depressing life. I am a very successful enterpreneur that has visited over 120 countries and have built an amazing life for myself from nothing. Building companies up from scratch and spending my entire life travelling. 

So you can take that attitude somewhere else because you couldn't be more wrong. There is no need to get personal.

The reason WHY I have become successful is because I know when to pick my battles. I don't hope for things that are totally unrealistic and OUT OF MY CONTROL. That's just stupid. If I can personally change something to make it better, or strive for something that I can achieve then that's exactly what I do. I'd wager that if you are looking for a depressing life then you might want to look closer to home.

Above all, I was absolutely BANG ON with my prediction as to who we would get as I am very aware of our financial predicament and not so blinkered as to think that just because we are Aston Villa we can hire who we want.

Anyway, I off to swim in my tropical hotel pool in my "depressing life". 

I think you may be confusing happiness with vanity.   

Oh, and how was the pool?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They can’t stand in his way for a move to such a big club which is also his boyhood team. 

Once in a life time opportunity. This either launches his career to the next level like Eddie Howe and Dyche or shows it’s a step to far. 

That sums it up precisely 

You would have to think DS is licking his lips at the prospect of what he can get out of this team? Yeah, the keeper situation is a bit flappy bird and without Chester the defence looks all at sea. But beyond that, he has some unbelievable options. 

He has DM's of Bikir, Jedi and Whelan if he wants to play with them. 

CMs of McGinn, Hourihane, Grealish and Lansbury.

Wingers like Bolaise, ElGhazi, Albert and Elmo.

And his striking options are epic. Hogan, Abraham, Kodija, Davis and RHM. 

And that before you look to the u23 side. 

Look I'm not expecting any miracles and we all should be aware that it's going to take time. But the squad is capable, we just a team that gets the most out of these players. 

• Like 4

I’m happy with this appointment and the news that we appear to be restructuring the club in a more modern way is very welcome since we’ve been crying out for it for years now.

However, if we ever needed a bit of patience and to get behind the new management and coaching setup, this is that time.

As much as we’d all love an instantaneous effect on the pitch, implementing Smith’s methods and the infrastructure above is going to take time. I don’t believe we’ll be going up this year, but I do believe we’ll see improvement towards the latter half of the season which will give us hope for next season.

I think we all need to remember that this is a necessary change. We were never going to go up and stay up with Bruce. We should have restructured the club as soon as Xia bought us, hell, as soon as we got relegated really. Finally it seems the new owners have the right idea.

I’d love us to immediately start dominating other teams and go for promotion, don’t get me wrong, but if it doesn’t go that way we all need to realise the bigger picture.

As long as Smith doesn’t make daft, inexplicable decisions like previous managers and we appear to be moving in the right direction, I’ll be happy.

I can’t pretend that I was bowled over when I read the news last night, though I had been travelling for near 24 hours back home from Tokyo so maybe put some of that down to exhaustion. 

However, given some time to think, this just feels right, and I haven’t had that feeling for a very long time. Fingers crossed and good luck to the new setup. Let’s get right behind them.

UTV.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I’m happy with this appointment and the news that we appear to be restructuring the club in a more modern way is very welcome since we’ve been crying out for it for years now.

However, if we ever needed a bit of patience and to get behind the new management and coaching setup, this is it.

As much as we’d all love an instantaneous effect on the pitch, implementing Smith’s methods and the infrastructure above is going to take time. I don’t believe we’ll be going up this year, but I do believe we’ll see improvement towards the latter half of the season which will give us hope for next season.

I think we all need to remember that this is a necessary change. We were never going to go up and stay up with Bruce. We should have restructured the club as soon as Xia bought us, hell, as soon as we got relegated really. Finally it seems the new owners have the right idea.

I’d love us to immediately start dominating other teams and go for promotion, don’t get me wrong, but if it doesn’t go that way we all need to realise the bigger picture.

Yes I hope we hold our nerve with all this.  Hopefully if he is changing the way we train then there is no player revolt like you sometimes see when someone comes in with new ideas.  I suspect Terry will help with this, so long as he and Smith sing from the same hymn sheet from the start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Hopefully the fans will lay off him when we are still in the bottom half of the championship by January

I doubt it - most fans want to see a winning team . If smith doesn't produce that he will get flak - be the same for any manager at any club - but especially with the squad Smith has at his disposal.

Just now, hippo said:

I doubt it - most fans want to see a winning team . If smith doesn't produce that he will get flak - be the same for any manager at any club - but especially with the squad Smith has at his disposal.

You can have all the attacking talent you like, when your 3 goalkeepers are as woeful as ours and you only have one centre half at the club then you will struggle. Until he can sort out the GK situation and find another centre back we are ****. I don't think any manager in the world would be able to work with our defence.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KHV said:

You can have all the attacking talent you like, when your 3 goalkeepers are as woeful as ours and you only have one centre half at the club then you will struggle. Until he can sort out the GK situation and find another centre back we are ****. I don't think any manager in the world would be able to work with our defence.

Are there not some free agents available that would instantly improve our options? Collins or Huth come to mind. Or the potential recall of Elphick.

Collins/ Huth/ Elphick recall >>>> Jedi at CB

It's hardly an impossible task.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Chester and Tunazabe  isn't that bad. GK I accept.

But with Smith playing more on the front foot - and Terry coaching the defence I am hoping for improvement - if not what was the point ?

Expect a new GK in Jan - or maybe a free agent before that. 

Good luck to Dean and I personally think it is a good choice............experience in the division and has done well at both Walsall and Brentford which in the case of the latter was with more limited resources than are available at Villa. Obviously there will be more expectation to get them out the division so time will tell how he reacts to that.

I used to watch Dean when he played for Hereford United in the 90s and he always came over as the consummate professional.

Terry is a little more left field but got to give him time as the fans do with Dean Smith.

Good luck to them both and to Villa for the rest of the season.

Obviously if he doesn't get on with McGinn we will take him back on loan in January ? .......seriously I hope that doesn't happen and John goes from strength to strength with Villa.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Are there any extensive articles out there about Dean Smith's coaching methods etc? Now would be a nice time to have a read about our new savior.

I just read a tactical analysis of the Leeds vs Brentford 1-1 draw.

I don't want to regurgitate too much detail but it was encouraging to read that Brentford were setup to counter attack and they did it with some success.

Showing that you can concede possession to teams as long as there is a strategy and countermeasures in place.

By HT Brentford's counter attacks had achieved 8 shots, 7 on target. The pressing and positional work Brentford put in ensured that Leeds were restricted to 75% pass completion.

Unfortunately for Brentford, they only managed 1 goal for all their attempts on target, and late on in the game, Leeds managed to equalise.

Here is another article on the subject of Brentford's tactics which I haven't read in full yet:

https://statsbomb.com/2017/09/inferior-tactical-strategies-the-bizarro-world-of-brentford/

Edited by A'Villan
  • Thanks 1

Â