Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Great appointments.  The job is not too big for him as some fear remember we are in The Championship a league he knows like the back of his hand.  If concerned about handling player egos then again fear not Terry will deal with that.

I do not expect him to be an overnight success but I do think we will see improvement in football, tactics and coaching.  If the players buy into the ideas then there is no reason we cannot get into the top 6 by the end of season.

As a fan base we need to all get behind this and understand it might be a rocky road as their ideas are implemented.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think if your old enough its more like Graham Turner who had done well at Shrewsbury

Turner’s problems remind me of Lambert’s.  What Ellis was doing in that era was the same as Lerner’s post-MON approach.

Slightly unconnected, Tony Barton was a complete novice and managed two trophies, a league cup semi-final, and 3 points off 2nd in 1982-83.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think if your old enough its more like Graham Turner who had done well at Shrewsbury

I did think of that comparison myself BUT When Turner was hired we were what 2/3 years after being Champions of Europe so the Ellis cheap option was a bigger jump down.

Also Shrewsbury were always bottom half of the then Div 2, where Smith has Brentford 6th currently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Not a single cabbage in sight.

Do you think that the interviews were all carried out with a huge cabbage sitting menacingly on the boardroom table. Just as a reminder of the price of failure. 

The sack from Villa Park should be now always be known as being cabbaged. With any under performing manager getting a chorus of, “Cabbaged in the morning, you’re getting cabbaged in the morning.” Not that we will ever need to sing it now ?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Was it ? - thought a straight red was 3 games ? 

Depends on the offence , violent conduct would be 3 game ban , stopping a goal scoring opportunity 1 game ban .

chester is available for next game 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Which is fair.

I would though argue that you don't appoint a guy like Smith if you aren't looking to try and embed a similar structure and culture at the club. That can't all come from Smith but he is a significant factor in it.

The club needs to modernise, it needs to embed a structure and philosophy and they need to do that to help support Smith and the future beyond his tenure.

Yeah true. Agree with that.

And the fact that he has specifically been appointed as "Head Coach" and not "Manager" points towards exactly that.

I'm encouraged and excited.

• Like 1

Â