Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I still actually reckon that Jack pulled the rug from under us, and they probably genuinely thought he would stay, regardless of the detailed speculation and rumours of " verbal agreements " with City months prior 🤦🏿

The instant Jack asked for a release clause we should have known he would go.

A bit of a worry if that surprised those in charge of the club.

• Like 1

One if the problems I keep hearing is Smith keep demanding intensity in the squad. Why is he not getting this. Is it fitness, they choose to ignore it. The piece of paper that went round was obviously telling the players to up the press and intensity. So why did this not happen, an why did he not just shout it to the team or get it to Mings to tell the team, very strange.

For me I think its the exact right time to change the manager. Just hovering above the relegation places, the list shortens once you enter into that bottom 3, although I'm 100% sure the board have a list already.

I'll be sad, but managers know in football, nothing lasts forever, an if he  goes, he has still lived the dream, managing his supported club, no one can take that away from him. I'm sure also he will be welcomed back to support us with open arms, an we can't say that about hardly any of our previous managers.

If he stays the next couple of games, or if he goes, good luck, Dean Smith.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Counterpoint: they didn’t anticipate anyone meeting the £100m figure - still one of the biggest transfer fees in English football for a player with limited international experience and fitness issues despite his talents. The board did their best to protect the club. It’s unfair to try and spin it against them. 

We bought in 3 good attackers. The business was decent. They are all talented established higher calibre players.

The business is fine. Dean should really have got them settled and on some kind of wavelength by now.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I still can’t get over the old passing of the piece of paper before attempting to defend a corner. It just didn’t feel right to me. It actually felt staged as if the players were trying to make a point. Very odd indeed. 

For me this is why he has to go , we looked like an amateur team passing a piece of paper, they should know there jobs at set plays before the game,

This can be only a lack of coaching

Edited by gaffer85
Spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, gaffer85 said:

For this is why he has to go , we looked like an amateur team passing a piece of paper, they should know there jobs at set plays before the game,

That was really strange. Wonder what was said on there? **** wake up you words removed! 

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah.

I think Howe is just a short term appointment to be honest. They just want someone to guide them to safety.

Top Managers probably wouldn't think it's worth the risk right now. Long term, I expect that to change.

Some managers probably don't want to join in on Mercenary type projects either, where they will possibly be chopped at any moment.

Which is why a top manager wouldn't come to us now, as we are in a similar position. 

5 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

For me this is why he has to go , we looked like an amateur team passing a piece of paper, they should know there jobs at set plays before the game,

He said it was to do with the press, which would make sense and why it was handed to Ollie.

However I'm not sure what press he was trying to fix, we didn't put any pressure on them all game.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We bought in 3 good attackers. The business was decent. They are all talented established higher calibre players.

The business is fine. Dean should really have got them settled and on some kind of wavelength by now.

I agree. I don’t understand how he’s unable to do it. Buendia’s clearly a winger and he’s stuck him in the 10 role constantly. It’s honestly ridiculous. Tactically Smith is lost. Too many formations and a lack of settled XI is the big issue. 

In our first season back in the Premier League I think one of our biggest problems was that we kept changing the starting line up every week, so our players weren't able to develop an understanding with each other or get into a rhythm, if you've got a squad of world class players then you can keep chopping and changing, but otherwise I think it's a bad strategy, and we've kind of returned to that this season, seems the line up changes every week and we don't have a clue what our best starting eleven is.

Also another big problem for us I think is the constant thing of trying to play a No.10 as one of the midfield three, it just doesn't work, as it means you're basically playing with a two man midfield and liable to get overrun by most teams in that area, and playing with two No.6s and a No.10 doesn't fix it either, as that's still essentially a two man midfield.

There's a reason that no other team plays with a No.10 as one of the midfield three.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Look how Ince became an instant meme at Blackburn for his notebooks. Last night looked like Smith’s last roll of the dice and it still didn’t work. How would any of that convince the squad that he’s worth listening to anymore? It’s very clear that the club has long been focused on infrastructure work. So that a replacement for Smith isn’t that far away. The board aren’t stupid. I just don’t see how Smith has convinced anyone he deserves to stay. 

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This is where I'm at too. It's not like we bought some unknown entities from another galaxy. Why the hell isn't he getting them performing? And where has the team unity gone? It's not that long ago we were flying and beat Manure. I refuse to believe that 10 minute madness against Wolves is the sole reason we've gone to shit.

19 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Oh please, you see this happening all the time, with all the top teams too. 

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I do wonder how the last few weeks would have gone if we'd beat wolves 2-0.

Differently that's for sure, confidence breeds confidence. We looked decent up until that 1st goal for wolves and from there onwards our defending has been shambolic, we cant string a pass together in midfield and we aren't creating enough, generally we look devoid of any self belief. That game killed Smith reign.

Edited by The Other Mat

59 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

The only comparison that I have to sacking Dean Smith is like that to having your old dog put to sleep.

You love the dog, you’ve had loads of good memories with it and have seen it happy and want only the best for it… but recently it’s been shitting on the carpet in the house and hasn’t been of the best health and it’s just kinder to put it out if it’s misery and let it go rather than prolong it’s suffering out of sentimentality…

Ive wanted managers gone from Villa before and been happy to see them sacked…

but there will be no joy from me when Dean inevitably goes… He has given us too much happiness for me to be able to find any pleasure in him and the club parting ways…

' Like a blind old incontinent sheepdog, he's had his day. Take him out to the barn with a double-barreled shot-gun and blow the mother away. And I'm only saying that because I'm so fond of him.'

Arnold J. Rimmer

Bsc, Ssc

• Haha 3

Â