Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TRO...I can honestly say, knowing people that have worked with him in a coaching capacity, he does not lack depth. 

I think there is more of a case for sometimes overthinking a situation and not being quick enough to react but depth...I don't think so. 

Thats Fair enough and do you know what.....that is precisely what I want to hear.

I hope he is a driver too and not a coaster.....This team needs a tougher, more durable edge to it.

I also think Mings was missed, for his organisational skills....thats not a slight on Kortney who I like, particularly in the air.

Theres no shying away from how bad our form has been since January. Yes there has been mitigating circumstances but we know it just hasn’t been good enough and a lot of work still to do. I’m sure the owners and Purslow have sat down with Smith to understand the direction we are heading and where Smith can take us.  Which is why they are continuing to support him. 

If next season we have a patch of form like the second half of the season I could see them looking for a change. 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

One of my frustrations is in relation to after match interviews where nebulous lines are rolled out....they seem to lack feasible explanation.

That's odd, because to me he seems to be both honest in what he says and accurate - i.e. what he says nearly always tallies with what I saw. It's true he doesn't go into detailed explanation as to why we [whatever]. But that's wise and also the same route favoured by every single other manager. Anything else ends up throwing either the players or the whole team under the bus, in public.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Theres no shying away from how bad our form has been since January. Yes there has been mitigating circumstances but we know it just hasn’t been good enough and a lot of work still to do. I’m sure the owners and Purslow have sat down with Smith to understand the direction we are heading and where Smith can take us.  Which is why they are continuing to support him. 

If next season we have a patch of form like the second half of the season I could see them looking for a change. 

If they know him to be the right man, with the right investment, it is unlikely we will see a downturn in form, of the likes of this season...next season.

There are so many attributing factors, I am not privvy too...so like you, I trust the Owners.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Interesting.

I think Pep is brilliant. 

Playing Carson at the weekend was a nice touch too.

30 minutes ago, useless said:

Our form since the new year L L W L W L W D L W L D D L W L L D W L D L

Losing to Palace, Sheffield United, Burnley, and only drawing with the likes of Brighton, Newcastle and Albion, are the kind of results that have let us down, obviously you expect one or two results like that but we've had too many.

With the exception of Brighton those other games we had enough chances to win twice over. 13 extra points. The players need to become more clinical in games and kill them off. 

Story of our season has been missing too many 'easy' chances. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That's odd, because to me he seems to be both honest in what he says and accurate - i.e. what he says nearly always tallies with what I saw. It's true he doesn't go into detailed explanation as to why we [whatever]. But that's wise and also the same route favoured by every single other manager. Anything else ends up throwing either the players or the whole team under the bus, in public.

I don't agree, necessarily.....I thought Sam Allardyce did a very explanatory interview after his Liverpool game and before you think it,no , I wouldn't do a swap.....Bobby Robson, bless him, used to talk the whole game through.....you can do it without singling people out.

Just my perception Pete....fwiw.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

You really do your utmost to have a dig at Smith don't you!? We get it already, your not happy with him. Give it a rest chap.

Giving an opinion is a dig now?

So anyone who raises  a concern about smith is a dig athim now.

I "wont give it a rest" thanks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

With the exception of Brighton those other games we had enough chances to win twice over. 13 extra points. The players need to become more clinical in games and kill them off. 

Story of our season has been missing too many 'easy' chances. 

Be interesting to see our xG in comparison to others. 

I have no idea how you would find that out tho’.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Assuming the data is accurate, that paints us in a very good light. Although, not suprising when we're still limited on what we can spend by FFP, and were expected by our board to finish mid table, which is where we are.

I think everyone that has a complaint, is complaing about recent (pick your range) form, so a season long view probably won't change their opinion.

For everyone else, it confirms we are where we should be, and if Dean was given more money to strengthen the depth of the squad, we'd more than likely see a corresponding improvement in our points per game. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think points of view that drift in to the extreme and refuse to engage a differing view, deserve the same fate.

I too agree with you, lofty expectations are dangerous.....but complacency and the acceptabilty of it, is equally so.

This assumes our players and coaching staff are complacent which I highly doubt and I'm not seeing it either. Sometimes frustration gets the best of you, but that's not complacency.

I think lofty expectations (from a fan perspective) is more dangerous since this is basically a set up for bad atmosphere if not achieved. A complacent fan isn't shouting "SMITH OUT" and showing posters on match day. So the former is more likely to be detrimental (for good or bad) than the complacent fan.

Just my two cents.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't agree, necessarily.....I thought Sam Allardyce did a very explanatory interview after his Liverpool game and before you think it no , I would do a swap.....Bobby Robson, bless him, used to talk the whole game through.....you can do it without singling people out.

Just my perception Pete....fwiw.

Sam interview was just him moaning about the referee and VAR, he gave no insight into the game and pretty much ignored the question about Alisson goal by blaming the ref 

36 minutes ago, useless said:

No I won't do it for the period before the new year, because the point is to show how much our form has dipped since the new year, and to highlight some of the disappointing results we've had where I'm sure most will agree we could have done better.

Worst thing about having Dean Smith as manager isn't Dean Smith himself, but the weird cult like way people jump on anything one says about him that might be deemed as slightly critical or negative.

Guess what Smith himself almost certainly believes our form has been bad since the new year as well, and will be disappointed by the results that I mentioned. Some people on here act like they have to defend him as if they think he's related to them or something.

Who said the form isn't bad. 

The issue is that people seem to think that's the only thing that matters. I don't get why some are so desperate to split the season in half and just focus on the negative. 

We did the double over arsenal. We arguably have the best result of the entire season. We beat Leicester and wolves with last minute winners. I find it so strange that fans (who have been starved of premier league success for a decade) are so quick to dismiss these great moments. 

38 games in a season. It's a whole package.

Now if there was clear evidence that poor form towards the end of the season had a major impact on where a team finished the following year, then I'd get the OTT reactions to it. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Palace lost 7 out of their last 8 last season. So the answer is no.

Sheff Utd last 10 games in 2019/20 was  Won 3, Drew 2 and Lost 5.

We have 2 games left to play and our record in Won 2, Drew 2 and Lost 4 so we could finish slightly better than them or slightly worse.

I suspect me and TRO are similar ages and have seen the manager who was in charge during our greatest triumph get the sack as finishing 10th was good enough for Aston Villa nothing would surprise me.

I hope Dean is with us next season along with Jack but you would think our owners are going to want that lessons have been learnt by the management team and with a better squad some of the excuses will have been removed.

I don't want it to happen, and I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if it did happen.

Edit: On second thoughts I would be quite surprised.

Edited by useless

7 hours ago, peterw said:

First season - wins 10 games on the bounce and gets us promoted. just enough?

Second season - survive (unlike the majority of sides that have gone up through the play offs in recent years) and reach a  major Cup final? just enough?

third season - midtable and played some of the best football from a Villa team for many a year? Just enough?

Blimey, tough crowd.

The Rock Clapping GIF

• Like 1

Â