Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For some, yeah it will be. Judging by a couple of posts I’ve read over the past 24 hours, I think there’s one or two who think europa qualification should be ours now, this season.

It will reach a crunch point for me at some point, it always will. Can we finish 6th? Then can we finish 4th etc etc. The next step for me is trying finish in the top 8, how close can Villa get to that next year. Then go from there regarding decisions. This is for the expectations thread really.

But I’m struggling with this hypothetical bad start to next season people seem to have decided is definitely going to happen. The talk of momentum is all well and good, but there’s an international tournament taking place and there’s a short break, plus new signings to lift all concerned. For me, any momentum, good or bad is likely to be dissipated.

I think points of view that drift in to the extreme and refuse to engage a differing view, deserve the same fate.

I too agree with you, lofty expectations are dangerous.....but complacency and the acceptabilty of it, is equally so.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Palace played Tuesday - Sunday. Villa played Thursday-Sunday. That's not the whole picture, but 2 days extra recovery time for Palace is significant and may explain or partly explain why Villa looked tired second half.

The thing about this "trait" is it's a bit subjective. I mean we've been good at grabbing points late on in games, too. I'm not saying that yesterday's second half drop off was anything but a disappointment. But like I said in the earlier post, I don't put ti down to the manager.

If he's not here at the start of next season I'll be absolutely amazed. He's done great in my book, notwithstanding the recent poor form.

West Brom just a few weeks ago. 

Dean tried the same thing again yesterday and folks were saying things like '.....throw on all the strikers', which would be valid if it wasn;'t for the fact that Dean has done that only once previously this season, against West Brom,  and it worked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

So to me, the concentration and focus on the manager is kind of misplaced. There doesn't seem to be much understanding of what's going on - I don't mean around individual games or players performances within games, but the wider picture. To me it seems like some posters think there's a magic wand or something that Dean Smith could use but isn't, or he doesn't know how to use it.

For me, I think I've seen plenty that says he definitely does know what he's doing, is an excellent coach, adapts tactics to different opposition before games, adapts things during games, but equally doesn't have the things at his disposal to make us a top 8 side, quite just yet. One of those missing things is experience in the Premier league and experience of playing multiple times against the very best sides (or any of the sides). It's fine to criticise or take a view on different aspects of course, but some of it seems to lack a bit of context (I'm not talking about your post, here, btw).

Yes, this frustrates me too.

But Smith frustrates me also. I feel like he's on the cusp of being a great coach but is insecure or lacking conviction is some moments. The game-plan is god, the preferred line-up is god. He will only deviate due to circumstance (see player fitness). I think the security and comfort of 'the plan' plays a role is his in-game decision making. I can see some benefits in this (trust in players, the confidence that players can gain with knowing exactly what is expected) but I think it is also too inflexible and leads to indecision and inactivity. A balance needs to be found. I think Smith is a deep but also slow 'conservative' thinker. He has shown his tactical best when he has time to think (project restart).  I hope this is a case of inexperience as an elite level head coach and the comparative weakness beyond the first 11, but I am not convinced of this.

• Like 1

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Yes, this frustrates me too.

But Smith frustrates me also. I feel like he's on the cusp of being a great coach but is insecure or lacking conviction is some moments. The game-plan is god, the preferred line-up is god. He will only deviate due to circumstance (see player fitness). I think the security and comfort of 'the plan' plays a role is his in-game decision making. I can see some benefits in this (trust in players, the confidence that players can gain with knowing exactly what is expected) but I think it is also too inflexible and leads to indecision and inactivity. A balance needs to be found. I think Smith is a deep but also slow 'conservative' thinker. He has shown his tactical best when he has time to think (project restart).  I hope this is a case of inexperience as an elite level head coach and the comparative weakness beyond the first 11, but I am not convinced of this.

With the benefit of our collective 'support', I wonder why?

I think we all wish he was a little more forthcoming with subs, but that's just how he is. He trusts players, rightly or wrongly to adjust and get us out of sh*t when we are in it. Maybe we don't have the right players yet? Maybe our bench is lacking in quality and/or experience? 

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

Palace played Tuesday - Sunday. Villa played Thursday-Sunday. That's not the whole picture, but 2 days extra recovery time for Palace is significant and may explain or partly explain why Villa looked tired second half.

The thing about this "trait" is it's a bit subjective. I mean we've been good at grabbing points late on in games, too. I'm not saying that yesterday's second half drop off was anything but a disappointment. But like I said in the earlier post, I don't put ti down to the manager.

If he's not here at the start of next season I'll be absolutely amazed. He's done great in my book, notwithstanding the recent poor form.

Pete, your comments are too valid to be dismissed, but if you are right and I am being devils advocate.....why didn't the manager use that mitigation in his after match interview.

I equally accept the arguments in support of Dean Smith, but he has to help himself too......most things are subjective so " trait" is too...but the 19 points dropping can hardly be described as a bad day at the office either.

I have accepted the wins against Everton and Leeds away as more than improvement, but there are tell tale signs in our wins and defeats, they deserve consideration.

I am not Leonardo, looking for Perfection....and I also subscribe to the theory that all teams make mistakes, the better ones make less.....We are WIP, but it would be foolhardy to glaze over some issues, without giving them due respect.....and surely we are mature enough to debate them, without entering in to a world of denial.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

And all the other matches where we have done the same?

Without sounding like a prick, we ALWAYS seem to have a similar rotation of excuses lined up.

It's been poor, and needs acknowledgement/addressing from all concerned.

From what I've seen, whenever Dean is asked questions about fatigue, he usually rebuffs it with things like " These are young fit lads who love to play football " etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And all the other matches where we have done the same?

Without sounding like a prick, we ALWAYS seem to have a rotation of excuses lined up.

Agreed it's been poor.

I'm pleased Smith rarely reels off excuses even though I think there are valid ones for certain shortcomings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pete, your comments are too valid to be dismissed, but if you are right and I am being devils advocate.....why didn't the manager use that mitigation in his after match interview.

Thanks @TRO. I think the answer to that is simple and twofold - 1. Don't moan - I heard him get asked on the BBC if it was a reason and he said "possibly, but everyone's had that at some point in the season" (or words to that effect) and 2. Don't give players excuses "But gaffer, I was tired".

Other opinions are available.

Our form since the new year L L W L W L W D L W L D D L W L L D W L D L

Losing to Palace, Sheffield United, Burnley, and only drawing with the likes of Brighton, Newcastle and Albion, are the kind of results that have let us down, obviously you expect one or two results like that but we've had too many.

I said the other week that Smith needs to be allowed to complete the initial rebuild. I think that until we have sufficient cover in every position he cannot be correctly judged. I stand by that but do understand some peoples concerns. The in game management etc. Generally its been an huge improvement on last year, with upgrades in several positions and players improving. I think we need to see what the summer brings and just stay the course. We are a far more attractive proposition than last summer for potential signings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Our form since the new year L L W L W L W D L W L D D L W L L D W L D L

Losing to Palace, Sheffield United, Burnley, and only drawing with the likes of Brighton, Newcastle and Albion, are the kind of results that have let us down, obviously you expect one or two results like that but we've had too many.

Now do it again for the period before the new year. That's how long a season is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Thanks @TRO. I think the answer to that is simple and twofold - 1. Don't moan - I heard him get asked on the BBC if it was a reason and he said "possibly, but everyone's had that at some point in the season" (or words to that effect) and 2. Don't give players excuses "But gaffer, I was tired".

Other opinions are available.

Yeah, I accept that.

He has to be careful who his comments affect sure......No Doubt he will have his opportunity, to say what he wants to searching questions at the post match review, with his Bosses.

If he starts next season as I expect him to.....I will be happy those type of searching questions, have received bonafide responses....and the work continues.

• Like 1

No I won't do it for the period before the new year, because the point is to show how much our form has dipped since the new year, and to highlight some of the disappointing results we've had where I'm sure most will agree we could have done better.

Worst thing about having Dean Smith as manager isn't Dean Smith himself, but the weird cult like way people jump on anything one says about him that might be deemed as slightly critical or negative.

Guess what Smith himself almost certainly believes our form has been bad since the new year as well, and will be disappointed by the results that I mentioned. Some people on here act like they have to defend him as if they think he's related to them or something.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Agreed it's been poor.

I'm pleased Smith rarely reels off excuses even though I think there are valid ones for certain shortcomings.

One of my frustrations is in relation to after match interviews where nebulous lines are rolled out....they seem to lack feasible explanation.

many mangers go in to detail where it went wrong and where it went right....maybe he had nor appetite for the interview, but I fear he sometimes lacks depth in his analysis.

I'm just being a bit pedantic, I guess.

Just now, useless said:

No I won't do it for the period before the new year, because the point is to show how much our form has dipped since the new year, and to highlight some of the disappointing results we've had where I'm sure most will agree we could have done better.

Worst thing about having Dean Smith as manager isn't Dean Smith himself, but the weird cult like way people jump on anything one says about him that might be deemed as slightly critical or negative.

Guess what Smith himself almost certainly believes our form has been bad since the new year as well, and will be disappointed by the results that I mentioned. Some people on here act like they have to defend him as if they think he's related to them or something.

Our form since the new year L L W L W L W D L W L D D L W L L D W L D L

3 Wins in 5. 60% win rate.

The way I have selected the above bold section has the same statistical value as the way you selected form from the New Year to now in order support an argument. 

It's not a cult. It's called perspective. 

And another thing when I wrote 'L L W L W L W D L W L D D L W L L D W L D L ' I was actually thinking it looked better than I thought, which is why I mentioned the disappointed results to highlight it could have been better and those resuls have indeed let us down.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

One of my frustrations is in relation to after match interviews where nebulous lines are rolled out....they seem to lack feasible explanation.

many mangers go in to detail where it went wrong and where it went right....maybe he had nor appetite for the interview, but I fear he sometimes lacks depth in his analysis.

I'm just being a bit pedantic, I guess.

TRO...I can honestly say, knowing people that have worked with him in a coaching capacity, he does not lack depth. 

I think there is more of a case for sometimes overthinking a situation and not being quick enough to react but depth...I don't think so. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Without sounding like a prick, we ALWAYS seem to have a similar rotation of excuses lined up.

From what I've seen, whenever Dean is asked questions about fatigue, he usually rebuffs it with things like " These are young fit lads who love to play football " etc.

The "We" here being who? Us lot, JV?

FWIW I think there are reasons why Villa look (perhaps) more fatigued than some other teams. We essentially rely on a small squad and a smaller number of key players. Emi, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Targett, McGinn, Luiz, Jack, Olly and then whoever else.

Of those, 'keeper aside, They've all played every single game where they've been fit and not suspended. Plus international games for some. Plus covid illness for some. Plus (as a result of our Covid postponements) accelerated games in a short time. We don't have a squad where all the players are definitely top half prem standard. We can't chop and change to rest players like the top clubs can, without a drop in levels. Further, they're just about the youngest, least experienced side in the league. To my mind it was almost inevitable that levels would drop at some point given the reliance on those players. Who knows I might be being over generous to them, I might not, but I reckon most people know that there's some truth in what I'm saying, in terms of some of the reasoning, at least?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TRO...I can honestly say, knowing people that have worked with him in a coaching capacity, he does not lack depth. 

I think there is more of a case for sometimes overthinking a situation and not being quick enough to react but depth...I don't think so. 

Probably comes down to not wanting to be interviewed by Sky. I’d want to get away from those buggers as fast as possible.

• Haha 1

Â