Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So having come back down to earth, after almost blowing a blood vessel yesterday after Palace.

I'm thinking, knowing Deano, he will spend the post season watching/analysing our matches with our stats, management team and players etc.

Hopefully similar to Covid break, this will help him assess players, what we need, and what we need to work on.

Obviously they will probably have done the above already, but hopefully it will help them see what our priorities are.

I desperately wanted us to achieve 10th or above ( And finish above Leeds ) but it is what it is.

Hopefully we get to see a few of our highest rated kids feature in the final two games.

As some senior players might already be on the beach, but the kids will be excited and bring some energy.

Will assessing the season make him become pro active?

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Momentum is everything in football. 

Yes form is temporary but we're not talking about a few bad games here. The 2021 table have us in the bottom 3 so that's where i think the team's level is at. Hence why we need a huge summer.

We have a very average manager so we need better players than most to compensate for the lack of coaching. Smith isn't like Bielsa who can make gold out of utter shit, so again. We need an amazing summer.

But it's already been shown to you that finishing the season in poor form doesn't guarantee that continues, or even makes it more likely. 

It's just your negative stance. Again it's this hypothetical doomsday scenario to justify moaning.

Pathetic really 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But it's already been shown to you that finishing the season in poor form doesn't guarantee that continues, or even makes it more likely. 

It's just your negative stance. Again it's this hypothetical doomsday scenario to justify moaning.

Pathetic really 

This isn't just poor form.

This has been going on for 5 months.

I just witnessed our midfield getting dominated by Crystal Palace. Just did see that right? And you are not feeling even slightly concerned?

If we were talking about 4-5 games i would be with you. But we aren't. We're talking about half a season here.

Form table from 1st of January would see us 15th in the table. 5 points off relegation. And i am supposed to not act concerned?

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just witnessed our midfield getting dominated by Crystal Palace. Just did see that right? And you are not feeling even slightly concerned?

If we were talking about 4-5 games i would be with you. But we aren't. We're talking about half a season here.

Form table from 1st of January would see us 15th in the table. 5 points off relegation. And i am supposed to not act concerned?

And as its been pointed out, other teams that have done really well this year, had poor second halves of the season last year. 

It doesn't guarantee or mean much. It's just you choosing to see the worst so you can moan. You're concerned so that you can justify the constant moaning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

And as its been pointed out, other teams that have done really well this year, had poor second halves of the season last year. 

It doesn't guarantee or mean much. It's just you choosing to see the worst so you can moan. You're concerned so that you can justify the constant moaning.

You are just digging your head in the sand at this point.

If there is a problem you need to rectify it. Not just turn your head and hope it goes away.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This has been going on after Covid outbreak. Could it be related? A few players looked way worse (Barkley in particular). Also adding up the injury to the leagues best player.

I agree on Smith needing to improve on many things, but if you see the improvement from last season to this season you should be thrilled.

Bielsa has one huge advantage, continuity in the squad. We have had a MAJOR rebuild in our entire team. And Bielsa have clear weaknesses with stubborness and naivity himself (had that all through his career). Had to mention this since you seem to worship him as much as you worshipped Maupay...

We have the youngest lineup in PL, and we are on the track of one survival season, one season to settle, and contest for Europe next season.

Why are we so inpatient? Building a team takes time. If Traore shows the improvement i.e Targett and Konsa has shown, he would be a world beater next season ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

If there is a problem you need to rectify it. Not just turn your head and hope it goes away.

And some people get stubborn easily and keep ramming their head into the wall...

We are 100% on track to where we are supposed to go

• Like 1

We should be concerned,  lose our first few games next season and the pressure will build. Covid rescued us last time but to stop losing games in the middle of a hectic season hard , very hard. 

We need strengthening, midfield, wingers and a striker to cover if Watkins is injured. Davies isn't going to make the grade and Wesley is 50/50 on a full recovery. Spend .....£120m-£150m on 5 players and loan out some.of the fringe players.

Next season will define Smith's villa career. To do well we need to improve  our first 11 and strengthen  the squad. If we don't then the squad we have now will start to think about pastures new ( the better players we have).

For me the one area we.lack is a leader in the middle of the pitch, get a good one and we will improve vastly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, peterw said:

How excited would you have been if Smith had said at the same time last year that he was brining in a forest midfielder to play at right-back, and Arsenal reserve keeper, and someone playing in france who failed the last time he was in the Prem league?

I saw plenty of Martinez last year in the run in for Arsenal and thought he looked magnificent so was really excited when we signed him although when he was first linked plenty hadn't heard much about him and thought we were overpaying. I really don't mind that sort of signing anyway, talented player who just can't break through at a major club. Will see what Arsenal do with transfer business but I'd love someone like Smith Rowe aswell who may be squeezed out if they sell a few more attackers.

Traore also the type from europe it made sense to sign, mid 20s and good european experience although we've seen the pros and cons of that type of player this season in him massively lacking consistancy but again I wouldn't be against that this summer.

It's much much easier though to go up from 17th to 11th in premier league than 11th to 5th, we'd really have to sign some top level players to get close to that position and really it's beyond us at this point in time unless a couple of CL regulars want to join us.

Am intrigued who's on the list though. Guess we'll never know as of course top targets could easily turn us down so we then sign plan B targets who hopefully should be reasonably good players.

• Like 1

Some people just keep repeating this line next season will be crucial for smith next season will be crucial for smith. In my opinion some people just trying to paint this picture of smith who is not succesful at this club and who is on a very thin ice with the club and who can be sacked at any moment. Jus repeating and repeating this line over and over.

Every season for every manger is crucial everyone knows that so stop repeating this please.

Edited by Tumblerseven
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Or you refuse to look at the statistics, which don't lie.

Since the new year we have dropped 19 points from winning positions. Before Xmas we had a positive goal tally of +15, which now sits at +8 I believe. Defensively we are still one of the best in the league currently 7th best, 4th before last night.

We also lost our best attacking player for 3 months. Sometimes 2+2 = 4

It has been our inability to put goals in the net which has been our issue since the new year. Not the manager.

Before Christmas we’d not lost a single point from a winning position too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No, I'm just not going to make up things to just have a moan. 

In terms of momentum. We are a club who have massively improved league position every year. Improved in all areas of performance. Key players are signing new deals. Our youth academy has absolutely dominated the youth Cup. We have owners who will spend money. 

It seriously doesn't get much better for a club, in terms of positive outlooks for the future. 

But you just cling onto any negative things to make out that you're right to moan because you're just concerned. But it's bullshit. You just want to moan, like you've done every single opportunity you've had. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If we didnt have a youth game 2 days before i still doubt smith would have used kesler or chuk

You really do your utmost to have a dig at Smith don't you!? We get it already, your not happy with him. Give it a rest chap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I desperately wanted us to achieve 10th or above ( And finish above Leeds ) but it is what it is.

What is this ridiculous obsession with Leeds!? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MentalM said:

This has been going on after Covid outbreak. Could it be related? A few players looked way worse (Barkley in particular). Also adding up the injury to the leagues best player.

I agree on Smith needing to improve on many things, but if you see the improvement from last season to this season you should be thrilled.

Bielsa has one huge advantage, continuity in the squad. We have had a MAJOR rebuild in our entire team. And Bielsa have clear weaknesses with stubborness and naivity himself (had that all through his career). Had to mention this since you seem to worship him as much as you worshipped Maupay...

We have the youngest lineup in PL, and we are on the track of one survival season, one season to settle, and contest for Europe next season.

Why are we so inpatient? Building a team takes time. If Traore shows the improvement i.e Targett and Konsa has shown, he would be a world beater next season ;) 

Honestly I don't get this bit in bold. Why are we so impatient? How many clubs are building at the rate we are? And its not enough?

Did I miss the memo? Is the world of football finishing in a few years? Will being a midtable team for 2 or 3 years result in the collapse of the club? 

• Like 1

I can't watch a game like the one against Palace and ignore how poor we were in the second half and for some parts of the 1st. We have issues that need addressing before next season if we are going to consistently improve. 

To.clarify my position on Smith, he has been the best manager we have had since I don't know when, better than MON for me. I don't want him out I want him to succeed  and build a legacy that will last for seasons. 

• Like 3

Â