Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Well we've come away with a point so it's obviously not our worst result but performance wise that's hands down the worst full 90 minutes I've seen from Villa in absolutely ages. 

Created nothing at all and while in possession well the less said about that the better. We were very lucky it was Brighton who are known for wasting chances. 

We can all see performances have dropped from us over the past few weeks but wow, tonight was bad. 

Been found out.

Mark grealish out the game and we have nothing which I get....but again...what are the others doing.

However I don't get why we can't pass 10 yards...why we can't move after a pass...why can't we press....why do we make it easy.

And ffs....basics....throw ins....dropping off....and another game allowing over 20 shots....so predictable in our play...four passes if lucky at the back then hoof....chasing shadows in the box

Something needs a change...maybe a mix up...create a bit of competition...team picks itself now.

We haven't played well since Burnley 1st half.

It's a good job we already have points on the board...its a shame to throw away the first of the season.

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Love his honesty admitted we were shit and said so. Other Villa managers would have said we played brilliant

These games happen 

They're happening a bit too often though lately... We were dreadful against Southampton and west ham too, that's 3 of our last 4 games 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I feel like we need to move Jack into the middle now. Teams are doubling up on him too much when he's out there on the left and Barkley is offering nothing. 

He wasn't doubled up on tonight.  Veltman just had him in his pocket.  Grealish had a poor game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Love his honesty admitted we were shit and said so. Other Villa managers would have said we played brilliant

These games happen 

It shouldn't make any difference - but away to Brighton on freezing cold February night, goddam awful ko time. We kept our shit together and got a point, against a poor team that have recently run into a bit of form.  Lots of teams would have folded there tonight.

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Clubs are working out how to play against us, we've become extremely predictable and have absolutely no ability to change tactics as there never seems to be a plan B.

Smith needs to make some bold decisions and changes things up or we'll soon get hammered.

It's coming. Inevitable.

If not changes are made.

2 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Been found out.

Mark grealish out the game and we have nothing which I get....but again...what are the others doing.

However I don't get why we can't pass 10 yards...why we can't move after a pass...why can't we press....why do we make it easy.

And ffs....basics....throw ins....dropping off....and another game allowing over 20 shots....so predictable in our play...four passes if lucky at the back then hoof....chasing shadows in the box

Something needs a change...maybe a mix up...create a bit of competition...team picks itself now.

We haven't played well since Burnley 1st half.

It's a good job we already have points on the board...its a shame to throw away the first of the season.

I think the momentum has gone - in some ways we are still trying to do the pretty triangles & flicks , but the sharpness isn't quite there.

That pitch tonight was like playing on astro turf.

To be fair to Dean, building a team that grinds out points when you don't deserve it is nearly as important as playing well.  I expected us to tail off a bit with the squad we have but I think there are things we can try to freshen it up a bit.  We have become a bit predictable recently.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

I think the momentum has gone - in some ways we are still trying to do the pretty triangles & flicks , but the sharpness isn't quite there.

That pitch tonight was like playing on astro turf.

Agree the momentum and sharpness has gone.

Disagree about the pitch...they looked alright and passed it round us with ease....and triangles...saw a couple of passes then boot it or lose it

Without Martinez...we would have lost that...heavily.

If we have lost sharpness....then he need to put someone else in.

Not saying wholesale changes....two max...keep the competition...keep the hunger....keep sharp.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have to believe that Dean's hands are tied re Barkley or otherwise he's making some poor decisions.

He said when he signed him he'll be getting him into the Euro's squad.

This might be plain stubbornness as ridiculous as it sounds.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have to believe that Dean's hands are tied re Barkley or otherwise he's making some poor decisions.

Ye, if barkley starts next game i will ownder what on earth is going on....Barkley is a waste of a starting slot currently.

And dont give me the fitness things, he's played 6-7 games since coming back from his injury......and a lack of fitness doesnt reflect just how lazy and ineffective he is.

• Like 1

Â