Dean Smith

Demitri_C

It's difficult to change how we play and the formation we play, we don't have the squad to change it up. You can bring in Nakamba for McGinn in order to have a bit more defensive cover with the midfield or put Watkins out wide for Davis, but I can see why we aren't doing that.

The CM/LW area are weak for me when we don't have the ball. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Over 90 minutes we had the better chances. A few negatives and positives to take from it. 

Certainly not worth the ridiculous over the top whinging in the match thread.

It was ridiculous and abnormal effectivity and shot conversion from Soton.

After some reflection i agree with you. Just one of those days for Soton were everything went in.

Encouraging 2nd half

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

A lot of the reaction to this is unsurprisingly more embarrassing than the performance itself. I won't call it unlucky because we were naive both in how the first set piece was defended and how the latter two were given away, but ultimately they scored three worldies and we had enough chances that could have inexplicably seen us actually make a comeback on another day.

The reaction in the second half showed a character that loads don't think this squad have, definitely managed to come out of the game with some encouragement for next week.

Right, they had four shots on target.

Douglas and Cash the ones who should get the blame today for stupid, stupid free kicks we gave away. (Although obviously I don’t actually want anyone ‘blamed’ - let’s learn and move forward)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'm encouraged by how we came back but the way we collapsed after their first really isn't acceptable.

Goals 2, 3 and 4 I wouldn't put on Smith. Stupid decisions by Cash and Luiz to give away free kicks there and the fourth was a bit of magic from Ings. First was poor defending, and more a problem with the system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Right, they had four shots on target.

Douglas and Cash the ones who should get the blame today for stupid, stupid free kicks we gave away. (Although obviously I don’t actually want anyone ‘blamed’ - let’s learn and move forward)

The luiz one is annoying. It wasn't even that threatening, no need to do it. Konza and mings were right on Walcott

A tough game as I expected, whatever it is about Saints they just always beat us. It seems clear from these past 2 games we struggle immensely from sides that press us and yet again if we go a goal down we just collapse. That's the disappointing thing because I thought this squad of players was past that. 

Really could've done with someone a bit shit next week because 4 wins in a row could now quickly turn into 3 defeats which isn't ideal at all. 

Showed some spirit and almost got back into it which hopefully installs some confidence, 7 without answer in 2 games against average opposition would have hurt.

Conceding 4 to Southampton is extremely poor though but as has been pointed out 2 were excellent freekicks where you just have to put your hands up. Our centre midfield is so hot and cold really think we need a dominator/leader in there.

• Like 1

I think our second half showing was partly down to Southampton holding out for the win without to much effort.

We can't continue with just one formation and one style of play. The first half was dreadful and we started the second half much in the same vain. We need to increase our defensive capabilities in the midfield, not sure how but it's here we are losing control of the ball time and time again. We look outnumbered.

• Like 1

We have a massive central midfield problem

The worry is that based on him never changing it Smith either doesn't see it or doesn't like Hourihane or nakamba

The even more worrying thing about it is last season was exactly the same

McGinn and Barkley both getting 180 mins in the last 2 games is criminal

Â