Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Potentially, but how much of our xG came once they were seeing the game out with a huge lead? Goals obviously change games.

But also Southampton wouldn’t score 4 out 4 like that in 9 out of 10 games, that was unusual.  We were very poor but they didn’t create that many chances but scored rare very high quality goals for three of them.  Our heads dropped every time they did one which is bad but also you don’t expect a worldie every time they get a chance but we did come back somewhat but not enough.  Another five minutes though and we may have got 4-4.

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The goals themselves no I don't blame on him, but the way we reacted initially was shameful, although we then did play very well in the second half.

How can he have any control over how we initially react? He was on the sideline and this isn't football manager.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But also Southampton wouldn’t score 4 out 4 like that in 9 out of 10 games, that was unusual.  We were very poor but they didn’t create that many chances but scored rare very high quality goals for three of them.  Our heads dropped every time they did one which is bad but also you don’t expect a worldie every time they get a chance but we did come back somewhat but not enough.  Another five minutes though and we may have got 4-4.

For sure, I agree with what you’re saying I’m just trying to make the point you can’t just quote xG without considering the game state.

Ultimately I’d have said we could have very little complaints to have lost this one. Very happy with the response from us at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

Elmo for Cash, I’d drop one of McGinn or Ross after that, and Matt Targett needs to spend all day tomorrow at BMH learning how to defend a bloody corner.

Drop targett for guilbert. Keep cash on (I'm not a huge fan and he seems to have been found out the last few games) but playing elmo is a terrible decision.

I'd consider putting Jack back in the middle with watkins and traore outwide (if he is fit - trez is fine if not) and we play more like Liverpool. Drop Barkley or mcginn for a game and put on nakamba or hourihane. I think if Jack is acting as a false 9 it can get us into passing and moving and he can win free kicks to ease pressure on us.

We have to keep a clean sheet next game reinstill confidence in our defence. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

How can he have any control over how we initially react? He was on the sideline and this isn't football manager.

indeed and he did get us to react in the second half. now I hope that he makes a point out of us not showing up from the first whistle and drills that home. you play the game for 90 minutes, not 45. you fight every last second of those 90 minutes, this should be expected and demanded from your players.

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

For sure, I agree with what you’re saying I’m just trying to make the point you can’t just quote xG without considering the game state.

Ultimately I’d have said we could have very little complaints to have lost this one. Very happy with the response from us at least.

Our reaction in the 2nd half was extremely encouraging. Last season we'd have gone out with a whimper and lost 5-0

2 free kick goals and a wonder strike from Ings. Not much to do with that and that won't happen most weeks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

indeed and he did get us to react in the second half. now I hope that he makes a point out of us not showing up from the first whistle and drills that home. you play the game for 90 minutes, not 45. you fight every last second of those 90 minutes, this should be expected and demanded from your players.

The first goal really knocked us, which is worrying. We'd just started getting on top and were looking the better team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You don't think the manager has any influence over how his players react to going behind?

• Like 2

At least it's never boring watching us play.

I think DS should have rotated more, even if the players are 100% physically they can't be 100% in top form every week. We also need our other players to gain some match fitness, getting a start after more than a month on the bench isn't good for the team. So imo we simply need to involve more players to be competative during the whole course of the season. Today would have been a good game to rest McGinn or Barkley and play Hourihane. After the Leeds game it would have been good to give Cash a rest too. At least we should make more substitutions to let more players get more minutes.

The players let themselves down by making stupid mistakes today, but stupid mistakes often come with mental tiredness, it's up to the coaches to make sure we have players who are 100% switched on every game, and the same players can't be that over the whole season.

That Southampton score 4 goals on their 4 shots on goal is not much we can do about, we had luck against Liverpool and were unlucky today, evened out. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

The first goal really knocked us, which is worrying. We'd just started getting on top and were looking the better team. 

Agreed. We need to work on dealing mentally with going a goal down. Right now it seems to throw us into spells of disarray as it did again today. I hope Dean addresses this, but we also need our leaders to deal with this on the pitch. Hope they work on it.

20 minutes ago, momo said:

I didn't say the were better in general, but I am pretty sure that a player on the bench is better than a player having a shit day on the pitch.

Ah, you mean really making changes in the game? I though you meant changing the starting side for future games.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Happened a lot last season. Man Utd when Fernandes stomped on Konsa's ankle for instance. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Which is what happened v Leeds.

yeah, it kills momentum for a good 20-30 minutes usually where we go into full panic mode. We need some serious anti-tilt coaching XD.

My concern is why we have to go 4-0 down bwfore we bloody start playing. Southampton didnt really play well today and we could havw got something had we not gone 4-0 down. Need to start taking the mcginns and mings out when they play poor like today. Show that we wont accept pooor performances consistently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

My concern is why we have to go 4-0 down bwfore we bloody start playing. Southampton didnt really play well today and we could havw got something had we not gone 4-0 down. Need to start taking the mcginns and mings out when they play poor like today. Show that we wont accept pooor performances consistently. 

Because they scored on 2 free kicks in one game which is abnormal.

I was highly critical after the Leeds game, but we were hard done by here.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Because they scored on 2 free kicks in one game which is abnormal.

Sorry i dont agree. The ings fourth there waa absolutely zero pressure or pressing he had yards of space to shoot.  That should have been stopped.

Cash with a idiotic hand ball leads to that 3rd. Poor marking fir first goal. We created nothing at all until going way behind 2nd half.

We were veey poor for large parts of the game

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You don't think the manager has any influence over how his players react to going behind?

Not immediately after, no. What's he supposed to do? 

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No way. We deserved everything we got in that first half. Inches saved us for the disallowed goal, and Cash probably should have seen red.

4-3 sounds like a thriller. We were well beaten.

• Like 2

Â